Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by JackFavell »

Same here, Lynn. Wish we could help.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Thanks guys!

Wish you could send us some of your weather! If so, it would be much appreciated.

But I do appreciate even more the support for our very un-winter like conditions! :)
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Lynn, as Chris said, Complain away! We who are buried in snow and ice need to be reminded that everyone has weather related problems, some cold and some hot. Wish we could send you some of this lovely :shock: white stuff, and you could send us some sunshine. Until we figure that one out, remember how much we all try to support each other around here!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Lynn, I wish that there was something we in the Northeast could do to help California's drought too--I keep wondering if anyone anywhere has thought of cloud seeding (if there were real clouds, of course) or desalinization--both of which were once explored, but now seem to have been deemed ineffective, too expensive or too much of something--though given our nation's notoriously short attention span, it is possible some solutions may be overlooked due to lack of imagination or shortsightedness. Wouldn't it be helpful if all the technology strides made in the last few decades would be put into something truly vital like preserving and developing our water supplies?

Just ask the people in West Virginia what life is like without fresh water.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Seattle just got its 2nd snowfall and we are expecting an inch of snow and its very slick out there. According to National Weather Service we should have snow until 4am in the morning. Meanwhile in Portland, Oregon many of my friends that live there got slammed with 8 to 10 inches of snow from Friday on. They will get snow again tomorrow and parts of Monday giving them an extra 1-3 inches of snow depending of where you are at.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

We're expecting a warming trend in Kentucky. I hope it's a long one! Walking on ice is worse than driving. I'd rather dent a fender than a hip! I keep telling Sugar, "Slow down. You have four feet. I only have two!"
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

it is illegal in some areas to have barrels so that you may collect rain water

I heard something like that too, Masha! I'd like to see them make that charge stick. The rain belongs to the government?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Masha wrote:I have read that it is illegal in some areas to have barrels so that you may collect rain water to use in your garden.
I have never read about the illegality of water barrels, but I do know that standing water is not encouraged in warming months since it is a breeding ground for mosquitoes who may carry disease. I can't believe that it would be all that much water if a person had a barrel collecting rainwater for their use in the garden. Eventually it would go back into the groundwater anyway if used that way. I hope that is not the case, but if so, the rationale should be a doozie.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Masha wrote:...Droughts and floods and earthquakes and polar vortexes affirm my belief that eco-activists do not understand reality. They believe that the world is a wonderful place which must be preserved in all aspects when it truly is treating us as if we are fleas which it wishes to exterminate.
I love the twist you put on things. Right now the drinking water in parts of West Virginia have been contaminated by some leaking tanks of chemicals for coal production. After conflicting reports from EPA and government officials, the governor of that state is leaving it up to the public's discretion whether they drink or bathe in it.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What a world we live in. What a crazy mixed up world....
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Had to read that two times before I could believe it!!!! You are lucky to have escaped, and kept a sense of humor!! :shock: :shock:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

We're getting a break in Kentucky. It's supposed to be 40 tomorrow, then 50, maybe even 60 by the end of the week. We could get hit again. But by the first of March, we're usually out of the woods. Usually. This has NOT been your typical winter!