'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
Professional Tourist

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by Professional Tourist »

Thought I might report in from NYC on the Blizzard of 2016.

As of 1pm the National Weather Service reported 15 inches of snow in Central Park. I believe a few more inches have fallen since then, and there'll probably be a few more inches to go before it's all over, so Manhattan could wind up with about two feet of snow. Sheesh.

No above-ground transport is allowed other than by foot. Subway trains that run entirely underground are still operational, but with lesser availability.

Anyone interested in live updates can look here:
http://www.nytimes.com/live/winter-storm-jonas/

Frankly, I don't imagine myself getting out of the house even for work on Monday. Even if the car service doesn't cancel my reservations, getting from my front door into the street will be iffy at best.

I laid in a supply of sandwiches last night. Was able to get a hot breakfast delivered this morning, but have a feeling no one will deliver tonight (perhaps the chinese restaurants). Well, back to movies and my recent binge-watching of "Downton Abbey." :)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Been thinking about all of you in the path of Jonas...Chris, Moira, Wendy, PT, and anyone
else around here...please, PLEASE, don't take chances....stay safe, warm and dry as possible.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

PT,

Thanks for the update and letting us know that you are okay!

To everyone in the east and southeast affected by the storm, we are thinking about you and sending good thoughts your way for riding this one out safely!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Masha

Post by Masha »

We have approx. one foot of accumulation from the three fronts which passed through. It was last above freezing last Sunday and it is not expected to be above freezing again until Monday. I dug out and cleared off the Chevy on Friday but I was not able to do errands because banks, grocery stores and the post office were closed as well as the schools and most other businesses. I did a bit of spurious driving because the lack of traffic made it interesting. I am glad that I did go out yesterday as ice and snow overnight would have made clearing the vehicle this morning much more arduous.

The streets and those sidewalks which received any amount of shoveling are clear today because temperature stayed low but the sun was bright and there was breeze which facilitated sublimation of snow and ice.

It is unfortunate that majority of my work is done remotely and so my workload was not relieved to any significant degree. There will be jumble in coming week because clients in certain areas have had/will have activity delayed due to weather and so there will be greater number of: "these results are late but analysis and response must be according to original schedule" situations.

We have been baking. Capuchin prepared his wonderful slow-cooked roast and there are now three loaves of bread in the oven.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Professional Tourist

Central Park is up to 25 inches of snow by now, and it's still coming down:
https://twitter.com/NWSNewYorkNY/status ... 7463856128

I'd like some of that warm bread, Masha -- all the restaurants in my neighborhood are closed, understandably, so it's a cold sandwich for me tonight.

The governor has said the travel ban will be lifted at 7am, so there is some hope of a hot breakfast tomorrow, albeit a late one. :wink:
Professional Tourist

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Wound up with 29 at just north of Annapolis. It's a record. The county webite says it will be Tuesday before we get a plow.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Masha

Post by Masha »

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Professional Tourist

Happy Groundhog Day, everyone!

The news from Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania is good -- Phil did not see his shadow, so those of us in the northern hemisphere might enjoy an early spring this year. :)

[youtube][/youtube

Well, I'm all set to watch my favorite Groundhog Day movie this evening. Enjoy your celebrations! :D
Professional Tourist

Well, here it is Groundhog Day once again, folks. Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow, so it looks like six more weeks of winter for us here in the northern hemisphere.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /97388078/

I know which movie I'll be enjoying tonight, as I warm up with some hot soup:

Happy holiday, everyone! :P
laffite

Post by laffite »

Southern California (including me) have been waiting for (or perhaps ignoring) "The Big One" the mother of all earthquakes for decades if not for centuries. Other than that we are fairly immune to major disasters ... until now. Hurricane Hillary is coming and San Diego (for example) is right in the middle of the storm path. I have a sixth floor apartment and the building is about 60 feet above sea level, but flooding can still of course occur. Annual rainfall for San Diego has been listed at 9.45 annually for decades but we never really get close to it. And we never, I mean NEVER, get rain in August (nor have we had a Hurricane. There was one that passed by about 30 years ago but it more or less missed us.) Landfall is mid to late Sunday (the 20th) here in San Diego. The baseball Padres are scheduling a doubleheader for Saturday.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:|
was "mr6666" @ TCM
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

laffite wrote: August 18th, 2023, 8:01 pm Southern California (including me) have been waiting for (or perhaps ignoring) "The Big One" the mother of all earthquakes for decades if not for centuries. Other than that we are fairly immune to major disasters ... until now. Hurricane Hillary is coming and San Diego (for example) is right in the middle of the storm path. I have a sixth floor apartment and the building is about 60 feet above sea level, but flooding can still of course occur. Annual rainfall for San Diego has been listed at 9.45 annually for decades but we never really get close to it. And we never, I mean NEVER, get rain in August (nor have we had a Hurricane. There was one that passed by about 30 years ago but it more or less missed us.) Landfall is mid to late Sunday (the 20th) here in San Diego. The baseball Padres are scheduling a doubleheader for Saturday.
Stay safe, laffite.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LiamCasey wrote: August 19th, 2023, 5:06 pm
laffite wrote: August 18th, 2023, 8:01 pm Southern California (including me) have been waiting for (or perhaps ignoring) "The Big One" the mother of all earthquakes for decades if not for centuries. Other than that we are fairly immune to major disasters ... until now. Hurricane Hillary is coming and San Diego (for example) is right in the middle of the storm path. I have a sixth floor apartment and the building is about 60 feet above sea level, but flooding can still of course occur. Annual rainfall for San Diego has been listed at 9.45 annually for decades but we never really get close to it. And we never, I mean NEVER, get rain in August (nor have we had a Hurricane. There was one that passed by about 30 years ago but it more or less missed us.) Landfall is mid to late Sunday (the 20th) here in San Diego. The baseball Padres are scheduling a doubleheader for Saturday.
Stay safe, laffite.
Thank you.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

So far, the rain and wind here in the O.C. has been gentle and light.