To Dream of Dogs

Chit-chat, current events
RedRiver

Re: To Dream of Dogs

Post by RedRiver »

No apologies needed, Carrie Liz. Cats are nice. And dogs do drool. All over the furniture!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:No apologies needed, Carrie Liz. Cats are nice. And dogs do drool. All over the furniture!
That's so true RedRiver ... my dog when I had in my youthful days was a bona-fide drooler!
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

Ours doesn't much, thank goodness. Unless there's food in sight.

What the Beauz does do is SHED. Billows of it. And now his winter fur is coming off. Mama's been combing him and gathering the billows into one of those suet cages hung outside for the birds. The smartest nests will be lined in Beauzie fur this year.

Red: I'm wiping my brow! Thanks.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

moirafinnie wrote:I loved this. But gee, why do dogs sound dumb and cats sound smart when we imagine how they might sound if they could talk?
Ha. You have a point there. Well, maybe:

Dogs = Mitchum
Cats = Boyer

? :shock: ? :shock: ?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Theresa I love your analogy about how cats and dogs sound. We had a cat Claude, he would have sounded like Charles Boyer I'm sure. Charlie our ginger tom, I'm not sure and Mollie she's Vivien Leigh no doubt about that. I'm not sure about Lara, something devoted, she's so incredibly soft and loving. She's been on her holidays to my mother in laws where she stayed with Auntie martha the border collie pup so she had a whale of a time but she's glad to be back, she keeps checking on me and coming up to me for a love.

I took the time to read back over what I missed, I know Lily was spayed before I went away, hopefully everything's settling down for you and Lily.

Theresa I'm so sorry to read about Abby, I know she meant a great deal to you, they leave such a big hole. I hope your buddy is bearing up OK under his loss.

Carrie, I know that feeling of dread about the vets, I hope you get a reprieve next time you go. I've never dreaded a man as much as a dread the vet even though he's a nice dedicated guy, I'd rather go to the dentist every day.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I had a black tom cat who looked and acted just like Clark Gable. We called him "Blackie" after the unrepentent masculine character played by Mr. G. in San Francisco (1936).

Above: "Blackie" returning from a night of revels on the mean streets of our town.

All our dogs seemed to be a cross between Sterling Holloway and Spencer Tracy, with a bit of Walter Pidgeon thrown in.

[Thanks to Footnotemaven.com for the above image]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

I've known a cat known Blackie before but not with such excellent credentials. I'm still not certain who Lara is but Charlie is a stripy ginger tom cat and has a tigerish resemblance so I'm thinking of George Sanders, he certainly has the attitude.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Since you have Vivien Leigh, why not Olivia DeHaviland as Melanie Wilkes for Lara?
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Ironocally, we just got a cat and my wife named her Blackie. She is cute but a bit crazy.
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:ICharlie is a stripy ginger tom cat and has a tigerish resemblance so I'm thinking of George Sanders, he certainly has the attitude.
Does Charlie have an ironic tilt to his head and a way of looking you over that drips with condescension? Does he arrive unexpectedly through windows? When the mood strikes him does he purr nicely as well as viciously?

If so, perhaps this is the reincarnation of George Sanders! How he would love lolling about as a feline.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Dear 0asis,

My room mate had a dog named Prince. He was a mix of some sort, with long lightbrown hair with kind of blondish highlights. We used to think of Princie as a canine Brad Pitt. When she and I went to Florida for vacation, we took Prince to my friend David's house ( Abby's "daddy" ) up in Massachusetts to babysit him while we were away. We had to introduce Prince to David's dog Shadow. Shadow was a tall all black German Shepherd...who reminded me of Gable.

Anthropomorphically yours,

CineMaven. :shock:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Two days in a row with Gable posts. Maybe I should watch a couple of The King's movies. It's been a while!
charliechaplinfan

Charlie does have that way of looking at us, mainly Molly and Lara but he's also a great big softie and quite a lot of an adolescent. When it comes to the animal mostly to nip, it's Charlie, he gets so carried away with having fuss and attention that he pushes himself back against us as hard as he can and once he's in that zone get your nose out of the way because he likes to give it a playful but rather painful nip.

Melanie Wilkes is a good analogy for Lara, she's got the giving and warm personality, she sees the best in everyone and thinking that Molly is probably more Scarlett O'Hara than Vivien Leigh it's an even better analogy. Molly is so very attractive, with green eyes, she's the prettiest cat I've even seen and she's so charming and loving but if she choses to she can turn her back, lift her nose in the air and trot off as fast as the mood takes her.

Lara, if it's possible is even more soft now we've come back off holiday, she's often nuzzling in for a cuddle. At 4 o'clock she woke me up to have a big cuddle that lasted for 10 minutes, it might be an unGodly hour but who could be annoyed, she's so sweet natured.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Our old friend Klondike sent this cautionary tale by a friend of his my way. He asked me to share it with other dog lovers as we all look forward to Spring flowers we would like to nurture:
A beautiful Heliotrope
"...friends, we got the biopsy report back and with great sorrow I must share this....Our darling [dog] died from the toxin in this plant that I have on my deck. ... It is called heliotrope and is highly toxic, causes total liver destruction. The pathologist said our angel had the worst liver damage he's ever seen. Goldie would nibble at the leaves of this plant every so often and we had no clue it was toxic. (It can come in white or purple.) Please share with any dog owners you know to hopefully prevent their dog from becoming a statistic like Goldie. We are even more heartbroken now knowing her death was preventable. Please share her story so that something positive may come of it and create awareness of toxic plants. Our own vet had no idea this was a toxic plant!!"

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Give my love to Klonnie please, and tell him how sorry I am about Goldie.

There are lots of plants and foods that are poisonous to dogs. Foxgloves, tulips and carnations are some that are coming right now, and AUTUMN crocuses can lead to kidney and liver damage. Lily just ate some spring crocuses the other day, but she seems OK. There are many other things, like grapes and onions that are also unhealthy for dogs. If you are worried, there are quite a few websites that discuss what plants and foods are poisonous. I would definitely check at least 2 websites though, since many have differing information.