To Dream of Dogs

Chit-chat, current events
Birdy

Re: To Dream of Dogs

Post by Birdy »

Wendy,
I'm sure you appreciate and deserve that rest after relentless care-giving. It creeps up on us, doesn't it? You're doing a little bit, then doing a lot, and before you know it you're consumed. Tippi was blessed to have such a wonderful family and I know you feel blessed to have had her in the family.
B
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Rosalinda O'Wylee Shadow Kings Oak Montgomery, Black Labrador Retriever, aged 14 1/2 years...gone today.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh Birdy, I am so sorry.

You were a wonderful mom to her, and she sounds like the most wonderful pet. My heart goes out to you. And a hug.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Birdy,
If there is a heaven, I truly hope that one of your first sights there is Rosalinda and everyone else you love. I'm so sorry.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Birdy, I believe in heaven, and I believe that our beloved pets have a special place in it. Your sweet Rosalinda is playing with my Babe, Doberman extraordinaire. Hugs to you and your family. :cry:
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Thanks for your kind words...it's been a tough week and I am doing my best to remember better times. It's hard to know what to do with myself since I am used to spending so much time checking on her and caring for her. I catch myself thinking, 'Better go check on Rosa...oh." I know every day will be better. She was a blessing to our family and a sign on Earth that God is good.
B
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I know how you feel Birdy. It's hard, because so much of your day was spent caring for her, getting food ready, sitting with her, just having her there. They are our constant companions, and we don't even realize it most of the time. Please take care, and if you want to, when you think of her, come here and I'll chat with you. Our house seems quiet too.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

:wink: In the spirit of the season...it's usually a lion lying down with a lamb, I know, but won't this do?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

It looks like your pup is wearing soft furry antlers! Great photo, Moira. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha ha! That hat's adorable.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

HAHAHA! There is nothing like a kitten on a dog's head.
(Klondike, just hold it in!)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Someone just sent this to me, it's too funny not to share. These guys' names are River and Trout....[youtube][/youtube]
klondike

Post by klondike »

Birdy:

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Nancy:

Loved the video . . and it did look like Vermont! 8)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Subject: How to know when it's time to stop driving

A picture is worth a thousand words!

klondike

Post by klondike »

Well, she’s no Alaskan Malamute, but I think the Ancestors would be pleased!

Hickory is Best in Show at Westminster

Updated Feb 16, 2011 2:32 AM ET
NEW YORK (AP)

A Scottish deerhound that loves to chase wild animals wound up catching her biggest prize yet.
A 5-year-old named Hickory pulled a huge surprise Tuesday night at the Westminster Kennel Club, winning best in show and the title of America's top dog. She became the first of her breed to capture the purple-and-gold ribbon and shiny silver bowl.
"I think Hickory could feel my lead that I was excited and went with it," handler Angela Lloyd said.
Judge Paolo Dondina of Italy thanked everyone at Madison Square Garden, then picked Hickory from a best-of-seven final show ring that truly sounded international - there was a Pekingese, Portuguese water dog, Chinese shar-pei, smooth fox terrier, bearded collie and black cocker spaniel.
A couple of those pooches on the green carpet ring with Hickory were among the country's top-rated show dogs. The 85-pound Hickory wasn't on that list, though she wagged her long tail the most at the end after beating out a total of nearly 2,600 entries.
"The quality of all of the dogs were outstanding," Dondina said. "This animal is like in the heavens. It's not of this world."
Hickory lives on a 50-acre farm in Warrenton, Va., where she enjoys running after deer and rabbits. Owners Sally Sweatt and Cecilia Dove and Dr. Scott Dove will certainly let her romp all she wants after this victory, her 16th best-in-show overall.
The 135th Westminster was considered a wide-open field from the start. A smooth fox terrier that was the No. 1 show dog of 2010 recently retired and an Australian shepherd that won the big AKC/Eukanuba event did not enter.
Hickory won the hound group Monday night, then had to wait around all day for her big chance. That was a lot to ask for a kind of dog that feels most comfortable in the woods, but she clearly managed to do just fine.
"She's not used to lights, camera and noise," Lloyd said.
The 31-year-old Lloyd had won at Westminster before - in 1998, she was honored for her handling in the junior showmanship for youngsters who hope to work in the dog world.
"People who own, breed, show dogs dream of this day," she said.