The whiny thread

Chit-chat, current events
melwalton

hello

Post by melwalton »

Hi, Birdy. I know what you're going through and I'm rooting for you. we can both lick thix thing. hang in there ... mel
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Mel,

As one who is disabled and deals with chronic pain, I feel for you and want nothing but for you to get well and get well soon. My thoughts are with you. Get strong, we have an Eagles - Giants wager to work out you know. Keep fighting. The Giants are going to need all the help they can get! Feel better soon my friend. You're a wise old owl and I thoroughly enjoy your posts, I only wish they were more often!

Fondly and as always,

Hollis
melwalton

hello

Post by melwalton »

Hi, Hollis.
I don't think I can play this year, so the Eagles have a chance.
thanks for your kind wishes,
You're lucky you don't live in western Pa, I have to listen to steeler fans all winter ... mel
klondike

Re: hello

Post by klondike »

melwalton wrote:Hi, Hollis.
I don't think I can play this year, so the Eagles have a chance.
thanks for your kind wishes,
You're lucky you don't live in western Pa, I have to listen to steeler fans all winter ... mel
I sure can sympathize with ya, Mel; try being a lifelong Packer Backer, here in the heart of Patriot Nation!
Gaaaaaaaack ! :evil:
melwalton

thanks

Post by melwalton »

Moira ....Birdy ....Klondike .... Nancy .... Judy .... Hollis and all.

Thanks and God bless .... mel
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I think Klondike and I are in perfect agreement on our love for dogs. I have a little Dachshund, Chester, who at 13.2 lbs, will try to take on dogs many times his size, but with me, he's the well behaved little gentleman. They were bred to go after badgers, they like to go underground, and I know that he has personally gotten the better of three squirrels and a possum in my own back yard! Unfortunately, because of their long backs and short legs, they are prone to disc problems. Last year he had some serious neck surgery to repair a severely ruptured disc. This was extremely painful for him, yet he never stopped wagging his tail! He never gave up, he carried on.... I should put this in the good news thread, but I was right to save him. He has reverted to being a pup, and his weight has gone down to the size he was at one year old. He will be eight soon.

Cats, well somehow I've only truly bonded with one. She was a hunter too, but she didn't make it through the cars that pass on my street every day. She didn't want to stay in the house all the time. I didn't want to change her nature, but it's dangerous for cats in the city. :cry:
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

There are two mini dachshunds out our house. They love sunshine, blankets and people food. A walk is something they have never been interested in and it is such a bother for them to go outside when they should.

Their job is truly to eat, sleep and have their head scratched.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
srowley75

Bevare the little white dragon that pees on your doorstep

Post by srowley75 »

If I may bring us back to whining for just a bit...

1. The neighbors on either side of my small apartment complex each own about a dozen cats, and they've been driving me nuts. Over the past week or so several of them have been known to park their butts on my porch in the evening. Got up Monday morning and the mat on the small porch in front of my apartment was reeking with the stench of cat pee. For a while they've been darting all around the neighborhood, but it was only recently that they've begun acting as though the apartment complex yard was their new permanent stomping ground. At night I've sometimes been startled by the sound of their fighting outside my door. A couple evenings ago I found a pair fornicating in my front yard and it was all I could do to keep from burning an effigy of a cat in front of each of my neighbors' houses.

2. My job contract expires in May and the check engine light in my car is on.

3. After June my lease will be up on my apartment and my parents expect me to move back home with them if I'm still unemployed. I can't think of a better incentive to devote every moment to the job hunt.

4. A word of advice: don't ever, ever, ever, ever make friends of those within the world of academia, especially those who hold or are pursuing Ph. D.'s in English. I've known and met enough to conclude that they are the most arrogant, rude, condescending, two-faced, nasty, hateful individuals to pollute the earth. And for the ones dedicated to the pursuit of publication, this is true to the tenth power. [And if this is true of anyone on this list - knowing my luck as of late, 90% of you will be professors of English - I apologize, but experience with this breed over the last year has not been pleasant.]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

This sounds terrible, and I don't think they come under the category of whining, especially 2-4.

Whining is what they do on "reality" TV shows when the barista doesn't put enough foam on their Yuppieccinos, or the plastic surgeon doesn't fill the syringe up with enough Botox to give them the lips of Bozo the Clown.

You have a real problem, and you are very unfortunately not the only one. I just have to look at my poor, unemployed daughter, whose dreams of striking out on her own have been put on reluctant and indefinite hold. I've noticed, too, that my neighborhood is full of parked cars with out of state license plates. This is not unusual in Brooklyn at holiday time, but it is unusual at this time of year, and I conclude that it represents a great deal of "coming home to roost" when no other choice was available.

Hang in there; keep a positive outlook. Take it from the Boom Generation: It all comes around eventually, and this, too shall pass. But also in keeping with Baby Boomer philosophy, don't be shy about contacting your government representatives to urge them to get into gear already.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

My dear Mr Rowley,

I couldn't agree more but let me add one addendum: The manners of people in traffic are inversely proportional to the price of their vehicles. In other words, Benz, BMW, Hummer and Lexus owners actually feel as if they own the road and the rest of the world be damned. They are similarly, arrogant, rude, ill mannered and completely devoid of any knowledge of the rules of the road! They should be riding horses!

As always,

Hollis
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I remember witnessing an accident years ago, on the Country Club Plaza in mid-town KC (very snooty shopping area) a little old woman in a boat-sized Caddy slowly inched out of a parking lot into oncoming traffic. The problem was, no one was giving way. She gunned it , and the beat up pickup truck she pulled in front of, rammed her. She leaped out of her car, and screamed "Couldn't you see the kind of car I am driving??!!". the ol' cowpoke in the truck said, "Yep. Couldn't YOU see I had the right of way?" It was so awful it was funny. :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

That sounds good advice, it's pretty bleak over here too, every day there seems to be more and more jobs being shed, this is turn has a knock on effect. I agree with you that things will get better again but it's sure hard to have an optomistic attitude when all you see on the news is gloom.

I hope things get better for you srowley.

Heck, I'm a huge cat lover and once had three cats and that was because I took a donation to the home were I got my two kittens and came home with a fully grown cat. I had to stop visits to the home because there were so many cats needing homes but three was my limit.

As a cat owner I do feel guilty because cats do not go in their own gardens when they can go somewhere else :oops:

My hubby's family who have had lots of cats and dogs go by the adage male cats, female dogs, they say they are more loving. Boy cats are very loving.

Mel, I hope you and Jean get your health back soon. You too Birdy.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Alison, I hadn't heard that about male and female cats. I've had only male cats, just by coincidence, not by conscious choice, and they have indeed been very affectionate, and rather lap-doggy. What's the story with lady cats?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nancy:

Someone was murdered in MD over a U-Turn. It seems one car made the u-turn in front of the other and when they both got to the next redlight the poor guy who made the mistake was shot to death by the other driver. Neither car was hit when the boneheaded move took place but I guess that was still too much.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

!

Post by klondike »

Hollis wrote:
The manners of people in traffic are inversely proportional to the price of their vehicles. In other words, Benz, BMW, Hummer and Lexus owners actually feel as if they own the road and the rest of the world be damned. They are similarly, arrogant, rude, ill mannered and completely devoid of any knowledge of the rules of the road! They should be riding horses!

Hollis
Well . . if you think it can get hairy driving around people like that . . just imagine what it's like for professional traffic controllers, who stand in the middle of the road directing traffic, 6 - 9 hours a day, Monday thru Friday . . ! I was "in the trenches" personally for 6.5 years, and have employed 20 or so people for the past 7 years who do that work now . .
And I'm here to tell ya, from our perspective (namely, staring at your grilles as you approach us at speeds up to 60 miles an hour), very little about each day's helping of incompetence, distraction, resentment, apathy, irritability, arrogance, neglect & spite have anything to do with the sticker prices . . I've gone hood-surfing as often on Volvos and Subaru's as I have on Porsches or Lincoln Navigators, and been hip-checked more frequently by Neons & Focuses than Jaguars & Hummers.
Interestingly enough, on one cold, boring morning back in '99, as we stood around waiting on a fleet of power & light crews, a bunch of us veteran flaggers (I think there were 8 of us) had the bright idea of comparing "war stories" to figure out, demographically, who would be the most dangerous driver, based on all of our combined experiences; after debating factors for about 40 minutes, we reached the unanimous decision that the most lethal driver we could face would likely be a 22-yr-old female Asian college student from Pennsylvania, driving a late-model Jeep CJ on a sunny Summer afternoon.
:evil: :x :evil:
No bull!