At Random

Chit-chat, current events
ChiO

Re: At Random

Post by ChiO »

I was a baseball fan, too. Now I'm a Cubs fan.

Wait 'til the next 100 years!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Wendy, you're just not old enough to know.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thank you for that. :wink:
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

What no baseball fan should be without (and just in time for the holidays, too!).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... XO/dvdtalk
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Yuck.
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I am not sure where to post this, and I rarely comment on current news, but in light of the tragedies unfolding in the last week, this thoughtful article by director Peter Bogdanovich in The Hollywood Reporter deserves to be seen by more people. I can only hope that it has some effect on filmmakers and audiences. Please click on the image below to read the article on THR's website.

Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Similarly, I received this email today:

July 25, 2012

The movie theatre needn't be a violent place.

Please join us on Monday, August 13, at 7pm for a Town Hall Meeting on the issues of movies and violence at Facets, 1517 West Fullerton Avenue, Chicago, IL 60614.

Please RSVP by clicking the following link: Facets Town Hall Meeting RSVP
You can also contact event coordinator Mary Hayes at [email protected] or at (773) 281-9075 ext. 3076.

The discussion will begin with a distinguished panel moderated by Gretchen Helfrich, host of WBEZ's Odyssey program.

As a non-profit organization with a 37-year commitment to creative children's programming, we strongly feel that a national debate about the culture of violence needs to lead to positive solutions. The tragic event in Colorado makes immediate action essential.

We look forward to having you join us on August 13th.

Sincerely,

Milos Stehlik

Executive Director
Facets Multi-Media, Inc.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

While watching the 2012 TCM Remembers I once again noticed that the camera never sits still. Even on the still photos the recording camera moves ever so slightly up or down or side to side. They just won't leave it alone.

I first really noticed this trend in a movie from earlier this year. A man was giving a speech and in all his shots and all the crowd shots the camera was always moving. It wasn't much but it would move from left to right or right to left. Now it seems everywhere.

Why?
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

it's a gimmick. i've noticed it, too. i wonder if it's done in camera or in the editing process? i think it's a symptom of our impatient society, we're literally unable to be 'still'. maybe that's why i love classic film so much, particularly the ones that feature little camera zooming and panning or "hand held" shots. I do like the effect when used sparingly, but it loses power to me if it's used throughout a film, constantly.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I first noticed the "attention-deficit order" camera work years ago on television programs trying to be oh, so hip. The technique of moving the camera was used with still photos very subtly by Ken Burns and company in their docs such as The Civil War, giving them a kinetic feel that did enhance the narrative, but now it seems ubiquitous. "The Burns effect" is available on video editing software that I have seen applying to still and motion pictures and probably is responsible for the effect Chris noted.

There is alot to be said for long, unbroken takes and letting the actors come to the camera, rather than having the viewer constantly aware of the techniques used to draw us into an image, but I guess that is anathema in a split second age.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

When I read about Jim Nabors, I smiled. He stated he doesn't get involved in the gay marriage controversy. Not a political person. That is so Gomer! Doesn't want any trouble. Always the peacemaker. NEVER taking himself all that seriously. This is a man who provided me with enormous pleasure via his TV work. I wish him and his partner the same. To Sgt. Carter, I have only this to say. "Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!"
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Who knew "The Quiet Man" was made into a Broadway musical?

From The Wall Street Journal article it premiered in 1961 with lyrics by Johnny Burke. It closed after 68 performances.
It is now in a production of the Irish Repertory Theatre in NY. For the record the show is called "Donnybrook!."

I had no idea.
Chris

Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

We dance round in a ring and suppose,
But the Secret sits in the middle and knows.

-Robert Frost
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:Who knew "The Quiet Man" was made into a Broadway musical?

From The Wall Street Journal article it premiered in 1961 with lyrics by Johnny Burke. It closed after 68 performances.
It is now in a production of the Irish Repertory Theatre in NY. For the record the show is called "Donnybrook!."

I had no idea.
Johnny Burke was involved with the music and Jack Cole was choreographer, so it must have been kind of interesting, though apparently not a success commercially, even though the reviews were favorable, generally. Here's the original cast album, Chris:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks