What are you listening to?

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by feaito »

I don't know how it happened, but I've become a fan of Gothic-Symphonic-Metal-Rock groups Within Temptation & Nightwish, and of their respective lead singers, most notably Tarja Turunen who now has a solo career....I'm hooked by its strength and intensity.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Why not add something as it has only been two years since anyone wrote anything.

I have become a fan of New Age piano music. Mostly because it is similar in style to the way I play when I noodle on my piano. While I am not nearly of a talent level of these musicians it is a style close to my own. Wayne Gratz is my favorite. I've collected about 7 of his albums. Michael Gettel is one who bookends his work with either small instrumentation, piano led music and big instrumentation music. Often with interesting chord and especially unusual rhythms his music is quite broad within that genre.

More recordings of main stream and favorite artists have been added with a couple of recent Christopher Cross albums. "Doctor Faith" and "The Secret Ladder" among them. He has not lost his voice at all over the years and I still like the music. Justin Hayward's recent solo albums of "Spirits of The Western Sky" and its live followup were added. Attending one of his concerts helped there.

McCartney's "New" even goes back awhile.

The other side of this is I have a Spotify account which lets me add nearly anything I want. Adding and subtracting music makes it much more fluid and carries none of the thought of wasted money. And that could expand my range. That is good.

One potential windfall is inheriting a mass of classical albums from a family that was going to throw them away.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Last night was spent attending a concert with Karla Bonoff and Jimmy Webb, Both primarily songwriters who also sing, it was a night of wonderful music, great stories, and a new found fondness for Miss Bonoff.

Having been in the business since the 70s it is easy to see why Linda Ronstadt and Bonnie Raitt have recorded Karla's songs. Listening to her shows that her voice very much fits the range of them. I was familiar with songs Ronstadt recorded of which "Goodbye, My Friend" and "Someone To Lay Down Beside Me" are lovely heartfelt tunes but getting to hear the other songs and the way she works a guitar made me want to find out more about her. Her musicianship though not flashy is very evocative and that often is better.

Jimmy Webb has been writing songs since the mid 60s. If you don't know him you certainly know his work. Providing a stable of hits for Glenn Campbell and may others has left a legacy of music little equaled since he started. Dressed in a navy blue suit with tie he sat down to entertain us with stories as much as music. He can be as fierce or gentle on the piano as he cares to be and either way has a unique and fluid style. At times he seemed to be making up some of the arrangements as he went which, maybe not always successfully, added to the interest of the music. He has taken his work and personalized it much differently in some cases from the hits they were. My favorite example being "The Worst That Could Happen" turned into the mournful tune it should have been when recorded by The Brooklyn Bridge back in the 60's.

All did not go perfectly. Interrupting "Wichita Lineman" midsong to ask the sound guy to turn down the piano for having too much feedback to an outright apology for the way "Adios" turned out where the only real obvious errors. He was honest about the quality of his voice and the top end having left him he encouraged a singalong to help him get there. He did say Mr. Campbell once told him don't do it perfectly as they'll want it that way every time.

At t he end they were both gracious enough to sit for interviews and a picture. I kicked myself for not bring some of my sheet music for him to sign but The Bride even took a picture. I thanked him and Karla for coming and sharing. It was a lovely night.
Chris

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

We've seen Jimmy Webb twice in concert - once when he was the historical Jimmy Webb, and once when he was clean and sober. The music didn't change dramatically, but the patter between songs certainly did. Especially his recounting of Glenn Campbell and the recording of "Wichita Lineman".
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

And then came Spotify and Amazon Music and a host of others and with it the chance to hear new things without going broke. When the pandemic broke and I thought working from home was a short term thing I thought I would listen to all 104 Haydn symphonies. The longer this mess went on the less I listened to Haydn.(I still haven't gone back to him.)

I did find a great many more things to listen to. Some of it was delving deep into the history of my teenage "singles." You could make your own Top 100 playlist. Only take the tunes you wanted. Discover a new artist and try before you buy way of doing things. If you didn't want to spend a small fortune on Mozart's complete works you could find it here. At $10 a month it was worth it. (Getting much more out of it than Netflix.)

Just when I thought having all of my own music on ipod or iphone was the best thing this comes along and I can listen to nearly anything I want. It is a nice thing to have.

But working from home does give me the chance for all day every day music.

Now, this is a collection.
Chris

Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I love Spotify. I was using Google Play music and they cancelled that service, making "youtube music"...which I hated. I tried Amazon music for a month or so, but I didn't like it either (too repetitive and no music discovery to speak of). Spotify seems to have most of what I enjoyed about Google music, and great recommended playlists. It really is a wonderful time to be alive for this kind of stuff, isn't it?
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I love the movie THE NEVERENDING STORY (as well as its sequel). I love the title song recorded by Limahl.

There are multiple videos for the song, but I chose the one that features clips from the movie.

Limahl also recorded a version in French titled "L'Histoire sans fin."

GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
Masha

Post by Masha »

Ty zh mene pidmanula is a traditional folk song. It is a song of how a woman betrayed a man. It is here given the pop treatment.

I would suggest that no one attempt to Google the name of the group.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Masha wrote: December 15th, 2022, 2:59 pm I would suggest that no one attempt to Google the name of the group.
A statement which was enough to compel me to do so! :D
Masha

Post by Masha »

LiamCasey wrote: December 15th, 2022, 4:06 pm
Masha wrote: December 15th, 2022, 2:59 pm I would suggest that no one attempt to Google the name of the group.
A statement which was enough to compel me to do so! :D
:smiley_innocent:

Did you see a lot of little blue pills?
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Masha wrote: December 15th, 2022, 4:27 pm Did you see a lot of little blue pills?
Need you ask? :D Along with pictures of the girls in the singing group. Now if I could only channel my inner Dargo and come up with a witty remark that correlates the two! :smiley_chinrub:
Masha

Post by Masha »

LiamCasey wrote: December 15th, 2022, 7:16 pm
Masha wrote: December 15th, 2022, 4:27 pm Did you see a lot of little blue pills?
Need you ask? :D Along with pictures of the girls in the singing group. Now if I could only channel my inner Dargo and come up with a witty remark that correlates the two! :smiley_chinrub:
I doubt that any effort is warranted. Pretty women and little blue pills are well correlated by human natures and pursuits.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields