What are you listening to?

Chit-chat, current events
sandykaypax

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by sandykaypax »

It's free. They play commercials every so often, like Pandora. You can pay for the no commercial service, but I always just listen for free.

Sandy K
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks Sandy! Of course, I just this minute found the page that says it's free. :D
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

In spite of often hearing that I have the perfect face for radio and the ideal voice for Silents....

If you are a fan of NPR's...live from Chase Auditorium in downtown Chicago, it's...Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me, listen closely this Saturday (tomorrow). From the 10th row, center, you will probably hear the guffawing and clapping of Mrs. ChiO and me.

And, yes, Paula Poundstone really is the best, and Roy Blount, Jr. is just a swell guy.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

ChiO wrote:In spite of often hearing that I have the perfect face for radio and the ideal voice for Silents....

If you are a fan of NPR's...live from Chase Auditorium in downtown Chicago, it's...Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me, listen closely this Saturday (tomorrow). From the 10th row, center, you will probably hear the guffawing and clapping of Mrs. ChiO and me.

And, yes, Paula Poundstone really is the best, and Roy Blount, Jr. is just a swell guy.
Oh, boy. I listen to that program quite often ChiO. Glad to hear that Paula is as fine in person as she is hilariously observant. Sometimes I just listen to the show for her--if she's not on, it isn't all that funny for me.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh we listen all the time! Oh man, I hope I didn't miss it! Paula is my absolute favorite.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Whew. it's on now.

Ha! Studio You ARE 54...
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

You know, there was a distinctive guffaw during the exchange between Paula and Roy Blount, Jr. about the shrunken apple doll and ribs from KC...was that ChiO?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I wouldn't be surprised.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Omigosh! I love the Roy story about the little boy in the wedding who thought he was "the ring bear" so he went down the aisle growling.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hilarious! That show gives so many laughs per hour.

The "ring bear" reminds me of that David Niven story.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The taping was 2 hours, 20 minutes -- which apparently was about 15 minutes longer than usual. First, Jeff Garlan was on forever riffing while trying to find a landline phone in his house (his cell created interference). Then, Peter kept blowing a line (couldn't pronounce "medicine" -- kept saying "medilean"), which Paula, 20 minutes later turned into a silly joke that doubled Peter over, and then Paula got into a fit of laughing at Peter and her own joke, which held things up a long time.

Cut one of my favorite lines of the night. At the end of the "Reverse Beer Googles" bit (remember, the research that found that, not only do others look better when you're drunk, you think you look better when you're drunk or think you're drunk) Roy asked, "Did they find any correlation with closing time?" That got a huge laugh.

Pre-taping intro is truly geared toward the Chicago audience. On the left, two stand-up podiums (or, podia for you NPRers) with banners that say "Carl" and "Peter". On the right, a table with three chairs and banners for Paula, Roy, & Jessi. In the middle, a gizmo on a stand. Then at 7:35pm, the lights went out, the gizmo was swirling multi-color lights, and the Alan Parsons Project music is playing -- yes, everyone gets introduced as if it's the Jordan-Pippen-Jackson era Bulls.
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's awesome, ChiO! I thought the beer goggles section was funny on it's own. Great that the taping actually went longer than the length of the program, I hope it was as fun as the rest of the show is.

I once went to see Prairie Home Companion, but that was live on the air, so there was no running overtime, and there were only a couple of minutes of prep.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

ChiO wrote:The taping was 2 hours, 20 minutes --

Cut one of my favorite lines of the night. At the end of the "Reverse Beer Googles" bit (remember, the research that found that, not only do others look better when you're drunk, you think you look better when you're drunk or think you're drunk) Roy asked, "Did they find any correlation with closing time?" That got a huge laugh.
They should have left that line in! Holy-moley, I wouldn't want to be standing near the ladies room entrance after the show finished taping for 2 hours, 20 minutes! That's shorter than most movies now, though, come to think of it. And seeing Paula yukking it up would have been worth it.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

One can come-and-go to the restroom during taping, or as Peter said, "Feel free to go as you need, but this is radio so please don't announce it."

Yeah, I was surprised that they cut Roy's "closing time" comment, but kept Jessi's "If ObamaCare had been passed by Bush, it would be BushCare", followed by Paula's "Yeah, we could use that."

It was a hoot. Especially given that before we went in, I said to Mrs. ChiO, "Oh, wouldn't it be great if it's Paula, Roy & P.J.!" And I got two of them.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You were lucky! Paula wasn't on for a few weeks recently. I always wait to hear if it's going to be her. Then I listen anyway.