Happy Birthday, Charliechaplinfan!

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Re: Happy Birthday, Charliechaplinfan!

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I always had myself down as a worrier but I was really calm, much calmer than most, there's nothing to do in that kind of situation but get on with it and try to see the bright side, ie we were known about and being looked after. Some others from the Holiday Village got to go home on a brand new cruise ship and THEY COMPLAINED!

Not everyone was a nightmare, once I'd cleared the air people started to come out of their shell. I think this guy had been driving them mad for 2 weeks, we'd not been in the hotel bar because of the kids but he obviously had his cronies. It was like a reality TV programme that once he'd been stood up to the group found some new leaders, not that I wanted to be a leader, I think the others reacted to calm. The thought of facing another coach journey because of the idiot had some of the adults weeping, it was awful. We met some really lovely people, especially an old couple who were thoroughly enjoying themselves once the bully was stood up to and eventually shunned. The hotel in Lloret had some French saga tourists and one of our party could speak fluent French. He caught one saying to the other ' if we stay around the Brits might stage another execution'.

I might have been calm on the outside but I've come back home 4 lbs lighter and that's on fullboard and I have never drunk very much in my life but I needed a drink every night to unwind. I need a holiday after the past few days. Thankfully we are going to France in August and we will not be flying.
Last edited by charliechaplinfan on April 26th, 2010, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

The funny side of the story. Both Chris and I holidayed in Spain in our youth with our parents, we remember souvenir shops which were quite naughty with suggestive keyrings, cards etc. Andalucia isn't like that at all, thankfully. The day we went around Lloret De Mar was a step back in time, I was looking at some hair ties with Elizabeth when Joseph picked up some squeezy breasts and thought they were hilarious, above his head was a blow up doll, that was the souvenir shops we remember. The trip around Lloret was to get some new T-shirts, we'd washed as much as we could but not knowing what was happening the next day we couldn't wash anymore, I ended up wearing a 13 year old's T'-shirt, the only one I could find that wasn't vulgar, talk of mutton dressed as lamb :roll:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

charliechaplinfan wrote:He start every sentence with 'your talking to someone with intelligence' which to me means the opposite.
Alison, I'll bet you're dead-center right on that one; other exact opposite tattles that I've discovered are sentences that begin with: "All due respect, but - ", "No disrespect intended -", "Not to be judgemental - ", and my favorite: "Well, in all fairness - . ."
:x :? :x :? :x
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

"I'm not a racist, but..." etc.

I think the leaders who find themselves in that position without intending it are better than the ones who just cry for attention, but that could just be my idealism. At any rate I see what you mean about not wanting to be a leader, but you had to do what you had to do. :wink:

It does indeed sound like a reality show situation where they'd deliberately looked for an extreme individual to throw into the mix.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Totally off subject:

Synnove, welcome back. It's been a long time since you posted. Are you back for a while now until August?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

The holiday was great, the hotel was booked at the last minute for the price, it's a 'holday village' which has loads for the kids to do, plenty of clubs for them to join in with. We just needed a base but would come back to the hotel everyday to leave enough time for Joe to jump in the pool, which was cold but he didn't care. So for the first 2 weeks, we saw very little of our fellow guests, our only contact was with the hotel receptionists who were lovely. We to and fro'ed visiting the little villages, the Costa Del Sol itself is very built up and not really for us but it is the best place to stay for kids. To get out of the world of high rise hotels is easy if you have a car. That to me is the true Spain, the little towns, the Sierra Madre, Granada, Antequera and some of the quieter coastal towns. The one place I didn't care for was Gibraltar but worth a visit because of the tax free alcohol and perfume. I must get around to downloading some pictures.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Glad you're back home, Alison.

According to Dad, my aunt is also returning home from Spain - she went to visit my cousin who's stationed there. Details are sketchy at this point, but from what I've been able to find out, it sounds like it was the trip from hell for her. She had a bad time with diverticulitis while she was overseas and had to spend some time in a Spanish hospital. Not that the hospital was bad, but she couldn't understand anyone around her. She didn't want to let my cousin (her daughter) out of her sight.

-Stephen
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

mrsl wrote:.
Totally off subject:

Synnove, welcome back. It's been a long time since you posted. Are you back for a while now until August?
:) Sure. Why August?