Our Family Album

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Our Family Album

Post by movieman1957 »

You're welcome.

She's just across the street. This is a frequent problem down at the dock. This is the second time this summer.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh holy cow, Chris! Even if she is as short as me, that's a lot of water!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

My goodness, that's a lot of water and Maureen is outside Starbucks, she managed to get to work, wow, that's commitment.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

She told me that she is really right in front of the store. The police told them they expected, with high tide, 4 feet of water. Luckily, there is no damage to the store.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's a blessing.

I wonder if it was the same storm that came through our area last night? We had wind all day yesterday, but hardly any rain, then overnight, it must have poured because the birdbath on the deck this morning was competely full, and had been empty.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It was. It rained like crazy late in the afternoon. We had tornado watches, Practice at church was cancelled initially but decided to practice anyway. But it also must have rained pretty hard later.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm glad you guys were OK!

We even had tornado watches in CT! That happens like, never. Well, the last few years it seems to happen more and more.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My life is coming to a big change. After a year or so of deliberating the possibility my family has decided to sell our insurance business. I started working with my father on Feb.8, 1988. and will leave the end of next month.

Business has not been great. My brother, who has been part of this for 10 years, decided he wanted to do other things. My father is 80 and though he would like to continue working the reality of things here was too much to ignore. He will leave three days short of his 50th anniversary as an agent.

I don't know what I will do. I have some friends that might be able to help me find something. I hope to take a month off and enjoy myself and take care of some things. Part of me would be happy to leave the insurance business behind but the reality is this is about all I know to do.

I like my routine. I loved working with my family. It was nice to be flexible with things but all that comes to an end. It is also a reality that reminded me how old I am. With being a little more than 3 years away from the earliest Social Security qualification it made me wonder whether my age would be a hindrance in finding a job. It is a process for which I am long out of practice and that frightens me more than a little bit. I don't know anything about the real work world and what value I have, if any, to it.

We thought this would be our retirement but we don't always have things work out the way they are intended. My father tells me it is the chance for a new adventure. I tend to think of it as a chance for things to come apart. After all, what can you expect from a guy who always looked at the light at the end of a tunnel as an oncoming train.

I hope Dad is right.
Chris

feaito

Post by feaito »

Sorry to hear this Chris. I sincerely wish you all the best in your search and I'm quite sure all will end positively for you my friend.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Chris, I know change is not easy, especially when we are so "experienced." But I do believe that future prospects looming out in the ozone are there to be discovered. I retired from my secondary teaching career in 2009 after I was assaulted by a 19-year-old freshman drug dealer during the course of my duties as an instructor. Luckily, I had just enough years in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas to retire.

I 've been teaching and tutoring at the college level ever since. In 2010, I attended the first TCM Film Festival and I' ve been ever since. (This year was the 7th.)

I was actually part of the social media team--a TCMFF Social Producer. I never, ever envisioned anything like that happening to me. I've met so many authors, celebrities, and people from all over the world. I have to say that I never expected such a different path for me.

My son is grown and off to his own challenges and following his dreams, and I feel quite fortunate. Single mothers have a tough "row to hoe." I certainly didn't feel that way in 2009. As for employment prospects, you are only limited by your own vision of yourself. Atoms and molecules must be rearranged to meet new challenges, but I am living proof it is worthwhile. :-)

Remember all the abilities you have used all these years in insurance. They will be skills you can transfer to almost any job. You have a wonderful way of encouraging people to speak about themselves and draw them out! How else could you have survived in such a difficult business for so long? :D

And now i'm researching a biography for publication in the next couple of years.

Who is that gal working the Red Carpet and preparing to chat up the celebrities and special guests? Why I never wouldda thunk it!!!

If you've never read Paul Coelho's "The Alchemist," it's the perfect time! :lol:
Onward and upward!
Christy
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Chris,

Change is an opportunity for another adventure for you and anyone else and that's a good thing and taking a month off from the business and taking time to talk about your family and all can be a very beneficial thing to do and that's might open new doors for you in your life.

You could possibly teach insurance and offer some assistance to those doing so well. You could join forces with another insurance company that allows you time to sell off your family business and perhaps your Dad can give you ideas of how to deal with it. Change isn't easy ... it's a process that takes time to develop and that's isn't all that easy to do.

Whatever you decided to do - I know it will be good for you!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Dear Chris,

Of course you're of value - you are articulate and write well and have masses of experience. A person of worth......

Take some time off and chill out; read that book Christy mentioned and think about what you'd LIKE to do - then it won't be work but fun and a pleasure.
Don't get bored or depressed though - look for he silver lining and travel toward it!!!!!

Hope to see you at TCM FF next year...
All the best,
Larry
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Dear movieman1957,

I'm sorry that you have to change your job/career at this point in time. It is more challenging as we get older -- I'm not much younger than you -- but there are some industries that are less youth-oriented than others, such as advertising and the law.

Career counseling and assessment can be helpful when one is looking to change careers. I did this a couple of times in my thirties, when I knew I didn't like what I was doing but had no idea of what I might like better. The first time I took a seminar, that met on six consecutive Saturday mornings, the second time I met one-one-one with a career counselor. In both cases standardized tests were administered, to gauge not one's aptitudes but interests. The counselor used the results to advise of potential types of work that could fit in with those interests.

I found both instances were helpful. The first time, in the classroom setting, we formed a support group to help each other. The second time, I found the individualized counseling gave me more food for thought.

So these are two things that might benefit you -- a support group, perhaps found by taking a class for career-changers, or just looking around your community for meetings, and some career counseling with standardized testing, such as the Strong-Campbell Interest Inventory. Once you can identify a new line of work that aligns with your personal interests, then you can look into what it might take to get started. For example, if you are detail oriented and enjoy research, then you might enjoy a support position in a law firm or corporate law department, such as Paralegal. There are certificate-courses people can take to learn new careers such as this, where you don't need to go (back) to college to get a (new) degree.

Anyway, this is a lot for you to take in. Definitely take some time off first, and while you're resting, perhaps look through some books like What Color is Your Parachute.

Good luck, and please keep in touch with us here on the message board. We are a support group for you too. :)
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dear Movieman1957,

I know very well that change is a difficult time. I know also how damaging it can be to think: "this is all I know how to do." I believe that no one is so specialized that they are limited to one only occupation. I know of a neurosurgeon who opened a restaurant. I know of a pediatric oncology nurse who opened a tea shop. They are both much happier now.

I do not know of the insurance business specifically but I do know that every type of business has odd little niches which must be filled. Perhaps you would find it profitable to poke around the nooks and crannies of your business to see what you might find.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Masha
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Bless you all. You are very kind and encouraging. I appreciate it. Thank you for the suggestions. I appreciate your friendship and prayers.

More as I go.......
Chris