Our Family Album

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: Our Family Album

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris, check your inbox...
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Best of luck to you in the future, movieman! Life throws us many curve balls and it's a challenge sometimes. In 2009 I (thought) I was happily married and set for life. Then my wife moved out, leaving me with a lot of debt and primary support for 2 kids, 9 and 11 years old. :( I've come out of it stronger than ever (she's still around for them, just no real help...and no financial drain either! :lol:) 7 years later I've paid off all the debt and am a much happier person than I have been for some time. What really helped me was finding some new hobbies and engrossing myself in learning how to play guitar. A career change can be quite challenging, but I'm sure you will be able to find something at least financially rewarding, even if it's just for a few years until you can really retire.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks. Good for you for overcoming your challenge. To me it is much more difficult than my upcoming road. I'm glad music helped. I've played the piano most of my life with an amateur's level but nonetheless have always found it quite a pleasant distraction. It has allowed me a very satisfying life in the curch band.

Thanks for sharing. It is always a help to know others overcome their trials. Keep on strumming.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

One more in your inbox....
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Masha

Post by Masha »

If tales of challenge in our lives are in order:

Changes in technology, methods and applications as well as economic and political pressures caused me to leave positions I concurrently held in three facilities in mid-1990s. Best job which I could find which was in any manner appropriate to my experience was for company finding specialized nurses and equipment for hospitals and clinics. My pay was reduced by Seventy-Three percent. I focused on positive aspects of the employment: there was much less stress because none of my work was life-critical, I had greater freedom in deciding when and how much to work and company paid for travel to other countries as working-holidays.

That company closed in 2008. I was forced to move into my mother's home. I existed on odd jobs ranging from: private nurse on day-to-day basis to: painting hallways to: removing branches and trash from drainage ditches. I once spent three days crawling through tertiary sewer pipes looking for leaks and doing other inspections. It was work and I was grateful for it.

I had known the man who is now my insignificant one-quarter since early 1970s and we had corresponded irregularly. He sent me airplane ticket and made legal arrangements so that I could come to: America under his employment.

I could not work here in meaningful capacity because my education and experience was in my home country and none of it was recent and so it did not apply to qualifications here needed for licenses and registrations. I had to go to school here to receive appropriate degrees. I was older than all professors but one. My education was interrupted by need for me to return home to handle legal matters when my mother passed away. It was fight to return to school because my age and my stated intent to not practice put me far down on list of eligible students.

I had spoken: English only infrequently before coming here. It had been decades since I had written in: English. My reading of: English was confined almost exclusively to reading: 19th Century novels and plays.

My immigration to: America was complicated by activities during my term in the military, my having been jailed for subversive speech twice and my participation in: Orange Revolution. Attorneys decided it was best for me to wait the five years until I became naturalized citizen before marrying.

I did not see any of these things as: "challenges". They were simply the way things were and I had to do what needed to be done.

Situation now:

My facility with spoken: English quickly returned so that I have no difficulty understanding others and being understood by them. Amusing aspect is that most believe me to be from: England because I speak with slight: British accent.

It is often less than once per week that I must research: written English in order to understand it. Most of this deals with words and phrases listed in: Urban Dictionary because they are not: 'mainstream' words or phrases.

I know that my: writing English remains poor but it is improving with use. It is becoming rare for me to be misunderstood in various forums. My facility is now such that I have begun writing in: English of incidents in my life as informal and unpublishable autobiography. My beta-reader finds few mistakes.

I became: naturalized citizen in: September, 2014 and married three days later.

I have all degrees, licenses and registrations necessary for me to work. I have three employments. One is part-time but has recently expanded to fifty or sixty hours per week temporarily. Others are: on-call but require attendance at training sessions and drills. My income is adequate for my needs.

Current downsides:

I must wear a brace on my wrist because of broken bone which will not heal properly.

I have not found a forum in: English to discuss and share movies which are most to my taste.

My husband is a man. This may seem obvious but the way he is a man is quite often very vexing. I have been reminded of recent:

A Woman's Prayer

I pray for:
Wisdom to understand my man.
Love to forgive him and;
Patience for his moods.
Because if I pray for Strength
I'll just beat him to death.
Last edited by Masha on May 22nd, 2016, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Masha, you are the one I thought of as I posted. I knew that my impending situation would be ever so slight in comparison. It is an amazing story and one that certainly proves any situation is possible to overcome.

All of you have shared stories that encourage me and those that will find this later. I am grateful.
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Dear Chris,
I am sure that you are feeling a bit overwhelmed by the prospect of change and long to give you a hug. However, I believe that you are seriously underestimating the constellation of skills, knowledge and values that you have within you.

Having been through several periods when economic and physical upheavals have left me feeling confused and worried, I now believe the old axiom that "things happen for a reason."

I hope that you will find new work that engages your fine mind and great heart. My own experiences in the last few years have made me realize that learning and relating to the world is something a person may really be better at as a mature person. There is also a peace that comes from accepting that not everything can be controlled or anticipated, but challenges can be met with an open mind and heart.

You have always been such a great friend online to each of us. Please know that you're not alone and you are in my prayers. I wish only the best for you and your entire family.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thank you Moira. Those are wonderful things to know. I feel the same for you. I appreciate your friendship and prayers.
Chris

Masha

Post by Masha »

movieman1957 wrote:I knew that my impending situation would be ever so slight in comparison.
Your situation is definitely not: 'slight' in comparison. I had neither restrictions nor obligations. I had no people who depended on me. I was not tied to property. No person had expectations of me. It may superficially seem as if my situation had more aspects than yours but I did not have to work within such a framework as you do. This makes your position at a minimum equally as dire as mine was.

I must wonder if it is appropriate for me to suggest that you look into opportunities in: real estate sales. I have noticed here that many who sell insurance sell also real estate.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Back at the end of June my family sold our insurance agency. My father had done this just three days short of 50 years and I was with him for 28 of those years. Business slowed and thought we needed to go now rather than later. The idea of finding something else to do worried me for months. Two days before we sold an old friend and customer called with a question. Before I let her go I told her what was happening. As luck (and to my mind the good Lord) goes she said she may have something for me.

I took off a month and shortly after that my friend called and asked me to come talk to her and some others. I did. It went well as one of the others I met with hoped I would join them. With that I know work for the Maryland Transit Administration helping to oversee federal grant money to local transit systems and nonprofit organizations.

It is a lot to learn. I have 30 years of insurance in my brain that I need to move around. It is a different world professionally but the people have been very nice. One big bonus is that one of the directors is a big fan of TCM. We talk movies a great deal and that is fun.

It has been 6 weeks now and so far so good.

Thanks for asking PT.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Back at the end of June my family sold our insurance agency. My father had done this just three days short of 50 years and I was with him for 28 of those years. Business slowed and thought we needed to go now rather than later. The idea of finding something else to do worried me for months. Two days before we sold an old friend and customer called with a question. Before I let her go I told her what was happening. As luck (and to my mind the good Lord) goes she said she may have something for me.

I took off a month and shortly after that my friend called and asked me to come talk to her and some others. I did. It went well as one of the others I met with hoped I would join them. With that I now work for the Maryland Transit Administration helping to oversee federal grant money to local transit systems and nonprofit organizations.

It is a lot to learn. I have 30 years of insurance in my brain that I need to move around. It is a different world professionally but the people have been very nice. One big bonus is that one of the directors is a big fan of TCM. We talk movies a great deal and that is fun.

It has been 6 weeks now and so far so good.

Thanks for asking PT.
Chris

Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Such good news, movieman -- thank you for sharing with us. This seems a good example of a door closing and a window opening. :) I'm so glad you've responded well to this opportunity to learn a new business, and to do good for others in the process. Congratulations! :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks.
Chris

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Yes! Such marvelous news!:-)
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I am so glad to read that the new job and people seem to be pretty simpatico. Thought of you several times since you announced this new step forward. Like I keep telling you, they are lucky to have you.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks