Do You Have Trouble getting others to watch classics?

Chit-chat, current events
intothenitrate

Re: Do You Have Trouble getting others to watch classics?

Post by intothenitrate »

How old are they? Mine are ten and twelve, both boys.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's wonderful, Into the nitrate! Was it the Phantom with the lovely red tinting? I love that movie.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I finally got my wife to watch a movie with me this afternoon We saw "Philadelphia Story" (1940) with Hepburn, Grant, Stewart, and Hussey. We enjoyed it but we both commented it iwas too heavy in dialogue. We preferred the High Society version better.

I may get her again. I told her about the wonderful action photography and special effects in "San Francisco" (1936) with Gable and MacDonald and Tracy and she said maybe soon. Whoopee!

Uncle Stevie
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I should give my husband a little credit. He does like a few old war movies and westerns. Both genres not my favorites and I've seen his favorites over and over. He likes John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. He will occasionally watch a mystery/crime drama with me and likes some Hitchcock. (About once a year - still, credit is due where credit is due.) Also, my dad likes the same westerns. I don't like to watch them over and over; too much sweat and blood and I have scalping nightmares.
B
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

Thanks JF. Yes, the print was beautifully tinted, and the two-strip technicolor sequence at the masked ball was very vivid. And being a silent film, we could talk about what was going on without "stepping on" any dialogue.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

My sweet Andrew wanted me to tell you all that he also liked The Quiet Man! This surprised me, I had no idea. I thought he hated it. He says he likes the fight, especially when it is interrupted by the pint buying and then the two start up again over who is going to pay.

There was another he wanted me to say he liked, I simply can't remember what it was - oh, I remember now! It was The Big Clock - he got a real kick out of it. He has now made it a habit to spot Harry Morgan in anything and everything - he spotted him last night in Inherit the Wind before I even realized it, and was very proud of himself. He likes Ox-Bow Incident as well, so maybe he is becoming a classic movie lover after all. Thanks to this thread..... :D :D :D :D
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The Ox Bow Incident is quite hard going, it's a film I'd rather watch with someone.

I love the fight in The Quiet Man, it's so much fun.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

What I love about The Quiet Man is that I find new things in it EVERY time I see it. First, I noticed Jack MacGowran, the tiny little man who is Red Will's shadow. He's still my favorite in the cast. Then I noticed Francis Ford, and followed him through the picture. Last time I watched, the man in the bar caught my eye, very obviously British, reading the newspaper for the entire length of the movie. He doesn't give a hang about all the violence and goofiness going on around him, just wants to read his paper.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I think the old man is just hard of hearing.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! I never thought of that! I have to go back and watch again to see!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I don't think he's hard of hearing, he just is "above" it all. He snaps the paper every now and then in irritation, doesn't he??? can't remember, but I think he does.
charliechaplinfan

I've watched it so many times and there are so many characters in the cast that it's impossible to take in everything, it's a film that requires rewatching. I can't see anything faintly romantic about John Wayne apart from in this movie. I love Maureen O'Hara.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Have you seen John Wayne in Angel and the Badman, Alison?
charliechaplinfan

No I haven't. Is John Wayne romantic in that film? I read that he was very uncomfortable with love scenes, except with Maureen O'Hara, they have good chemistry.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh yes! Angel and the Badman is romantic. He and Gail Russell are wonderful together... I love the movie, it's one of my favorites.