Little Girls, Big Girls

Chit-chat, current events
klondike

Little Girls, Big Girls

Post by klondike »

Tonight, Wes' two little girls, Droozy & Stormy, 3.5 & 2, arrived from Virginia, to stay with us for a couple weeks, for the first time since their folks' separation.
Everywhere can be heard the gayness of chatter & laughter, as they run & play with their cousins & the dogs . .
In the middle of which, Shea, who turns 13 tomorrow, pulled me aside and explained that, with her Dad working a late road job, and her Grandma covering a radio show slot downtown, she needed a lift to the store, and some cash, so she could buy a certain hygiene product . . her blush told me what kind . .
So I gave her the help she needed, and she was still embarrassed, but grateful, saying that it was easier than asking either of her uncles . . "But they would have helped you." I reminded; "I know, but this was less . . you know . . " she explained, blushing again.
"I know, Honey, I understand." I assured her . . blushing as well.
Thirteen . . . . I'd rather she was still going on ten.
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Little Girls, Big Girls

Post by movieman1957 »

My daughter, Mo, is 20. I rejoice in her growing into the woman my bride and I want her to be but part of me, and indeed part of Mo, still wants to live with one foot in her childhood. For all the trials that childhoods bring they are small compared to those that she works on now and those that I know will come to meet her.

But how I love it when I tell her I love her and I still her that little girl quietly say "Yea!" That is my Maureen.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Re: Little Girls, Big Girls

Post by klondike »

My grandfather, dead 15 years before I arrived, was known for advising his grown sons: "A man with sons has legacy, but a man with daughters has wealth."
As my own daughter grew through childhood I remembered that credo, and thought of it often, and as she became a young woman I felt I was beginning to really understand it, and now, in the wake of Cait's passing, I feel I know it unshakably, in the marrow of my bones, and shall bear the truth of it forever.