The Beatles

Chit-chat, current events
sandykaypax

Re: The Beatles

Post by sandykaypax »

Hey Chris--I know you thought Annie Lennox's vocal was too strong for your taste on Fool on the Hill, but what did you think of the rest of the concert?

I really enjoyed the whole thing, except for Katy Perry's rendition of Yesterday. I do like Katy Perry, but the song didn't seem to be a good fit for her. It seemed like she had trouble with the key being low on the verse. Too many vocal tricks.

Sandy K
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Overall I enjoyed it. I'm no fan of Adam Lambert but I did enjoy their musical arrangement of their songs as it sounded quite a bit like the originals.

I like Jeff Lynne. I think his situation was unique. Not only did ELO sort of pay homage to The Beatles his working with them gave him a distinct perspective. Of course, the same can sort of apply to Joe Walsh.

I'm with you on Katy Perry. Sometimes singers try to make more out of a song than it should be. Though I didn't care for Stevie Wonder's version of "We Can Work It Out" I know he had a hit with it so that works.

All in all they were earnest and sincere versions of the music. Can't ask for more no matter what I might think of any individual performance.

All that being said about Annie Lennox, "Medusa" is a terrific album with frequent play on my ipod.

What did you think about the rest of it? Any thoughts on Paul or Ringo? For me, to be their age and still put on a performance like they do, I think, is something to be admired and thoroughly enjoyed. (I'm seeing Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues in May and while he is no youngster either he still has a great voice and tours constantly. Gives me hope that being old isn't always an issue.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Chris, I thought that both Paul and Ringo gave great performances. I was so struck by the joyfulness they both seemed to possess the entire evening, whether watching or performing themselves.

Sandy K
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

While reading a story about the piano used on "Help" was being auctioned off it linked me to Rolling Stones Top 500 albums. As somewhat of a surprise The Beatles have four of the top 10.

1. Sgt. Pepper.
3. Revolver
5. Rubber Soul
10. The Beatles (White Album)

I'm inclined to put "Abbey Road" higher than "Rubber Soul" or "The White Album" but I think it is pretty amazing anyway.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"Abbey Road" is my favorite, but that's just me. They're all good.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Sir George Martin has died at age 90.

More than a producer he was also an arranger and composer. He had several films to his credit, among them was "Yellow Submarine" and "Live and Let Die."

I was 9 when I heard my first Beatles record. Not knowing much about any music except what my parents listened to made an impression on me because it was certainly different. As I got older and heard other rock/pop music from that time I noticed that, for me, The Beatles music sounded like no one else that I knew. Other hit songs seemed almost pedestrian in their production. It certainly was a benefit all around when Martin teamed with The Beatles. The songs would have been great because who wrote them but I wonder whether the recordings would have been as interesting in the hands of someone else. He knew how to get the sound the band wanted.

There is a documentary of George Martin that deals with his whole career. I think it is "Produced by George Martin." Certainly find that and if you can check out "The Compleat Beatles" and "The Making of Sgt. Pepper" as they are both fascinating programs.
Chris

Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

The songs would have been great because who wrote them but I wonder whether the recordings would have been as interesting in the hands of someone else. He knew how to get the sound the band wanted.
I heard about this passing this morning on NPR. They spoke of the recording of "Yesterday." The boys had wanted to do it with just Paul's voice and a guitar. Martin had the idea to use a string quartet. It took some convincing for them to try it like that -- the boys felt because they were a rock and roll band, that it would not fit. But when they did, it was a big success. It would have still been a good song and recording the way the boys had wanted to do it, but Martin's vision made it great.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Here it is well over two years since the last post and still so much going on in the world of The Beatles. We have two new McCartney albums, remix releases of SGT PEPPER and the "White Album", McCartney continues his remastering of his older albums, McCartney and Starr still touring, YELLOW SUBMARINE played at theaters this past summer, Lennon's catalog getting remixes, etc.

Pretty strong for two guys in their mid 70s and for a band that is going on 60 years old.

I don't know how much sound quality might be lost listening over Amazon or Spotify but found both the SGT PEPPER and "White Album" remixes to be incredibly interesting. New sounds, new perspectives and the like makes me wish they finish out the catalog.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

In Oct 2019 according to Forbes magazine The Beatles music was streamed 1.7 billion times last year. Also of note is that nearly half of those streaming are under 30.
Chris

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Because half over-30 don't know how to stream?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Yeah, we have the CDs and the albums, for those of us of a certain age. I do use Spotify a lot. (Glad to see you stopped by.)
Chris

GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Dec 08, 1980

D. W. Griffith