"You look a lot like ....

Chit-chat, current events
EP Millstone

Re: "You look a lot like ....

Post by EP Millstone »

Dargo wrote: February 11th, 2023, 4:51 pm Well, I'M not exactly that handsome devil that I was once was EITHER ya know EPM, and as you can PLAINLY see from that selfie I posted earlier.

But okay, I'll drop this whole thing here if ya want.

(...far be it from me to continue to prod the camera-shy among us here) ;)
Don't sell yourself short, Dargo, and thanks for your forebearance.

I watched one of George Kennedy's early movies, and I thought I was watching myself in the flick. Later, a relative once remarked about my resemblance to Kennedy . . . which, I must add, was purely facial. Kennedy was a towering (6' 4"), burly bear, built like a Sherman tank. The description "imposing" is not applicable in my case.

This snapshot of a young Kennedy looks like it came from my high school yearbooks.

However, as I've matured, I no longer see a resemblance between GK and me -- not that I'm complaining.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

EP Millstone wrote: February 11th, 2023, 5:27 pm
Dargo wrote: February 11th, 2023, 4:51 pm Well, I'M not exactly that handsome devil that I was once was EITHER ya know EPM, and as you can PLAINLY see from that selfie I posted earlier.

I watched one of George Kennedy's early movies, and I thought I was watching myself in the flick. Later, a relative once remarked about my resemblance to Kennedy . . . which, I must add, was purely facial. Kennedy was a towering (6' 4"), burly bear, built like a Sherman tank. The description "imposing" is not applicable in my case.

This snapshot of a young Kennedy looks like it came from my high school yearbooks.

However, as I've matured, I no longer see a resemblance between GK and me -- not that I'm complaining.
:smilie_happy_thumbup:

Good description of George Kennedy here, EPM.

(...in fact, he always kind of reminded me of a "latter-era Ward Bond" in these respects)
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Dargo wrote: February 11th, 2023, 4:54 pm
Thompson wrote: February 11th, 2023, 4:46 pm Dissipated, that might be it. I’m not sure. Anyway, since I use an electric razor and Never look in the mirror, the selfie was shocking.
LOL

Yeah, that was the word I was just about to suggest to ya here, Thompson.

(...yep, "dissipated")
Dissolute maybe, another one, it seems there’s still another one that I can’t bring up. So EPM, how do you post a selfie from a cell phone to this forum thread. I would love to post a selfie! Then I will feel whole and Laffite will come down in time for Fat Tuesday.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson wrote: February 11th, 2023, 8:10 pm So EPM, how do you post a selfie from a cell phone to this forum thread. I would love to post a selfie!
Thompson,

You are about to embark on . . .

A New Learning Experience!

. . . one requiring your complete sobriety, alas.

1. You must upload a selfie to a website. For example, Dargo's selfie is on the Nextdoor website.

Here is a helpful video on how to upload your selfie from an Android phone (which, I think you have, correct?) to a website (in this case, Google Drive):

You don't have to upload your selfie to Google Drive. You can choose another website, for example Imgur.

2. After you have uploaded your selfie to a website, it will have an address (also called a uniform resource locator or URL).

Example of the URL for Dargo's Selfie

https://us1-photo.nextdoor.com/user_pho ... &density=1[

I'll stop here and wait for you to confirm that you have uploaded your selfie to a website. Then I will proceed with the procedure for linking to the URL of your selfie so that you can post it on the SSO.

If anyone has a simpler way to upload an image from a phone and post it on the SSO, please feel free to chime in and share your method!
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Thanks, EP, I better wait ‘till morning to try and fool with that upload.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I thought it was a young Durward Kirby!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: February 11th, 2023, 11:31 pm

And I can't think of Durward Kirby without thinking of The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show.

(...know why?) ;)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: February 12th, 2023, 12:08 am
Swithin wrote: February 11th, 2023, 11:31 pm

And I can't think of Durward Kirby without thinking of The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show.

(...know why?) ;)
Yes, and he didn't sue.

But this was one of the great shows of early television. My favorite variety show as a little kid:

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: February 12th, 2023, 12:29 am
Yes, and he didn't sue.

But this was one of the great shows of early television. My favorite variety show as a little kid:

Yeah, but even to get angry enough to contemplate a lawsuit, has always made me question the level of ol' Durward's sense of humor.

Btw, to this day and ever since I was a young kid myself, I've never been able to look at Garry Moore's visage and not think of a young Buster Keaton.

(...and speaking of "You look a lot like" here)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I don't know that I really look like anyone famous. Maybe if I was thinner....
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

CinemaInternational wrote: February 12th, 2023, 3:26 pm I don't know that I really look like anyone famous. Maybe if I was thinner....
I'm getting a kinda, sorta Elliot Page vibe . . .

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Dargo wrote: February 12th, 2023, 12:08 am . . . And I can't think of Durward Kirby without thinking of The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show.

(...know why?) ;)
Swithin wrote: February 12th, 2023, 12:29 am . . . But this was one of the great shows of early television. My favorite variety show as a little kid . . .
norfious

Post by norfious »

Dargo wrote: February 10th, 2023, 11:19 pm Funny, but just the other day in another thread around here, I mentioned that what I thought the SSO website here needed was a "Lookalikes" thread just like the one that ran for years over on the old TCM boards, and this being if there hadn't already been one started on these boards years ago that might been buried after a long time of non-use.

And so now it appears our friend norfious has indeed found it and has revived it! Thank you, norfious.
I really enjoyed that thread on TCM! I thought I remembered a similar one here and I dug this one up. It sounds like there might be another similar thread, too, which I might have missed.

On the topic of celebrities whom people say you resemble, someone once told me I looked like Millie Bobby Brown. I was wearing a mask at the time, though, so they couldn't really see my whole mug. I suppose I can see a bit of resemblance in the eyes. Personally, I think I look like Helen Chandler with Ned Sparks' nose.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

The only person I was ever told I looked like was Ashton Kutcher and it was by a random lawyer at a legal thing I was at. I don’t get that a lot but I think about it because of how nice it was. I personally think I look like Sir Alan Bates a bit but that’s not a person people would accost you and compare you to.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Of course, that's me as Harpo in my avatar.
[/quote]

It looks a lot like Barbra Streisand in The Way We Were (1973)