LISTS

Chit-chat, current events
RedRiver

Re: LISTS

Post by RedRiver »

I love that GUN CRAZY tops Chio's list. A wild ride indeed! There aren't a lot of movies like it.

The Graham Greene scripted FALLEN IDOL is a quiet, thoughtful drama. It's about issues. But mostly it's about feelings. A wonderful film.

TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH. Mr. Henry King. Count it!

You all think I’m nuts, cuckoo

In other words, a classic movie fan! We all have the same cine-mentality!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

That's how I usually feel about Rudolph Mate, too. He and Jack Cardiff ought to be great directors, but they are merely (merely?) great cinematographers.
Agreed (although the only Cardiff-directed movies I've seen are THE LIQUIDATOR (1966) and GIRL ON A MOTORCYCLE (1968)).

The only exceptions that immediately come to mind are Karl Freund, Ray Dennis Steckler and Russ Meyer. (There's a grouping for you.)
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

MY TIP TOP TEN FAVORITE FILMS OF THE DECADE :

ChiO and Brother Rat, you both did well to list your favorite films in order of preference. Me...I was all over the map and did it alphabetically.

I reckon the 1940’s is my favorite decade of classic films.

As I review my top ten favorites of each year, and my top ten favorites of the decade, I have to face the fact that as much as I want to tell myself I am a cock-eyed romantic, ( I am...I am ) my lists tell me I am thoroughly and comfortably ensconced in the dark; dark forces that drive us: greed, obsession, murder. All I can say is luckily for me, I can live vicariously ( and viscerally ) through motion pictures and not have to duck and dodge, lie cheat and steal.

So why do these movies trump the others for each particular year? Thanx for asking...

( 1940 ) “THE LETTER - William Wyler

Bette Davis

The movie stars with Bette blasting a man full o’ holes and then she spends the rest of the movie lying. Duh...of course that makes this number one. And Gale Sondergaard's foot is an indictment on a whole Imperialist society

1940 FAVES : They Drive By Night, Black Friday, Castle On the Hudson, City For Conquest, Foreign Correspondent, Ghost Breakers, His Girl Friday, The Mummy’s Hand and Broken Strings

( 1941 ) “THE GREAT LIE - Edmund Goulding

Mary Astor and Bette Davis

Two strong women square off for the love of a man. Awww who am I kidding...plain and simple it’s a catfight. I love seeing Mary Astor being cold hard and bad. Bette was so sweet and cute and more natural than we’ll see her for the rest of the forties. Awww heck, CATFIGHT!!!

1941 FAVES : Keep ‘Em Flying, Face Behind the Mask, I Wake Up Screaming, The Maltese Falcon, Hold That Ghost, Citizen Kane, How Green Was My Valley, The Shanghai Gesture and The Wolfman

( 1942 ) “NOW, VOYAGER - Irving Rapper

Paul Henreid and Bette Davis

I struggled between this and the mighty “Casablanca” which has really risen in my mind seeing it on the big screen. But the bittersweet ending which makes “Casablanca” become legendary can’t quite compete with a more ( maybe slightly more ) hopeful ending that Henreid and Davis possibly getting together in the future.

1942 FAVES : Casablanca, The Gay Sisters, In This Our Life, The Mummy’s Tomb, Woman of the Year, Random Harvest, George Washington Slept Here, Tarzan’s New York Adventure and Ride ‘Em Cowboy

( 1943 ) “SHADOW OF A DOUBT - Alfred Hitchcock

Teresa Wright and Joseph Cotten

1943 is a year of fixes for me. I can get my monster fix ( “Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman” ) and my feminist fix ( “Cry, Havoc” ) ...and an out and out cathartic sobfest that “The Constant Nymph” offered me. But I have to put Hitchcock in first place. No one can weave a tale like him. ( Make your own case for your favorite directors. ) I’m just astounded by the bravery of Teresa Wright to save her family from the enemy within.

1943 FAVES : Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman, Captive Wild Woman, Cabin in the Sky, The Human Comedy, Cry Havoc, The Hard Way, The Ox-Bow Incident, A Guy Named Joe, The Constant Nymph

( 1944 ) “DOUBLE INDEMNITY - Billy Wilder

Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck

My ten favorite films for 1943 include some of my favorite actresses from the period, including a girl Friday, an athletic queen and an unparalleled beauty. But come on...how can I deny Barbara Stanwyck. She gets a man to murder her husband. Yeah, the plan’s unravelled by “a little man” and the murderous lovers turn on each other. But that’s what makes this movie perfect.

1944 FAVES : Bathing Beauty, To Have and Have Not, Murder My Sweet, The Mummy’s Ghost, Tall in the Saddle, Gaslight, Laura, LifeBoat and Phantom Lady

( 1945 ) “LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN - John M. Stahl

Gene Tierney

I almost tore my hair out deciding the top film for 1945. How gloriously unseemly the mother / daughter relationship is on so many deliciously sordid levels. ( I can’t imagine what a 1945 made of what they were seeing between Veda and Mildred Pierce. ) But something even more twisted gets my attention. A jealousy so obsessive and possessive that it consumes everyone in her path. Including her.

1945 FAVES : Fallen Angel, Mildred Pierce, Enchanted Cottage, Detour, Isle of the Dead, The Great Flamarion, Scarlet Street, The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry, Love Letters

( 1946 ) “THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS - Lewis Milestone

Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin and Kirk Douglas

I know...I know: a mountaintop shoot-out, a homecoming, a woman in white...and Rita. I can’t really articulate why I like “...Martha Ivers” more than the others. I’ve definitely seen it more times than the others though I wish I could see it again for the first time. It’s small and quiet and kind of closes in on itself. Do you want to see why you can’t go home again? This is why.

1946 FAVES : My Reputation, The Stranger, Notorious, The Killers, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Decoy, Duel In the Sun, The Best Years Of Our Lives and Gilda

( 1947 ) “OUT OF THE PAST - Jacques Tourneur

Jane Greer and Robert Mitchum

The best.

1947 FAVES : Crossfire, Dark Passage, Gentleman’s Agreement, The Hucksters, Kiss of Death, The Macomber Affair, Nightmare Alley, Nora Prentiss, The Unfaithful

( 1948 ) “I WALK ALONE - Byron Haskin

Burt Lancaster, Lizabeth Scott and Kirk Douglas

The romance of Jennifer Jones, the devastating realization of Joan Fontaine, the pain of Mary Astor and the delicacy of Gail Russell are draws that can’t be beat. But it’s up against a movie that IS the 40’s. Betrayal, double cross and love. Night, neon and a great noir trio.

1948 FAVES : Act of Violence, Cry of the City, Letter From An Unknown Woman, The Night Has 1000 Eyes, Portrait of Jennie, Rope, Snake Pit and State of the Union

( 1949 ) “A LETTER TO THREE WIVES - Joseph L. Mankiewicz

Ann Sothern, Linda Darnell and Jeanne Crain

Whaddya want from my life? It’s a Woman’s Picture.

1949 FAVES : Criss Cross, The Heiress, Impact, Samson & Delilah, Too Late for Tears and White Heat
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Cinemaven, love your Top Ten and your perceptive comments about each one,especially the one about Teresa Wright saving her family from the enemy within.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thx. I'm having fun making these lists and wracking my brain thinking about what I like ...and why. Just hope not to bore the pants off folks in the process. Well....onto the fifties, and hoping more join in.

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

My Top Ten favorites of the '40s (some of my #1s of a year didn't make it to this list):

1. Citizen Kane (Orson Welles)
2. A Matter of Life and Death (Michael Powell)
3. His Girl Friday (Howard Hawks)
4. Gun Crazy (Joseph H. Lewis)
5. Detour (Edgar G. Ulmer)
6. The Palm Beach Story (Preston Sturges)
7. Letter from an Unknown Woman (Max Ophuls)
8. He Walked by Night (Anthony Mann)
9. Raw Deal (Anthony Mann)
10. Out of the Past (Jacques Tourneur)

Directors Who Made Multiple Appearances on My Ten '40s Top Ten Lists

Michael Powell - 8
Orson Welles - 5.5 (the 0.5 is for Journey into Fear given the various claims as to whether Welles directed most, part, or none of it)
Jacques Tourneur - 5
Anthony Mann - 5
Preston Sturges - 4
Mitchell Leisen - 3
Raoul Walsh - 3
Howard Hawks - 3
Fritz Lang - 3
Edgar G. Ulmer - 3
Joseph H. Lewis - 3
Max Ophuls - 3
Charles Chaplin - 2
Alfred Hitchcock - 2
John Huston - 2
George Stevens - 2
Vincente Minnelli - 2
Jules Dassin - 2
Robert Wise - 2
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My favorite from Maven's list: DOUBLE INDEMNITY. From Chio's: CITIZEN KANE. That was easy!
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

CineMaven wrote:Thx. I'm having fun making these lists and wracking my brain thinking about what I like ...and why. Just hope not to bore the pants off folks in the process. Well....onto the fifties, and hoping more join in.
We sometimes forget to thank those who work the hardest to bring us new thoughts on fondly remembered and previously overlooked great films of the past. Allow me to assure you that you could bore the pants off me anytime, but I doubt if you ever will. I, like many others, look forward to what you will suggest for each year, and I find something to search out in each list. Please keep up the good work! And, by the way, Thank You!

So, now I want to get in on the fun. But I wouldn’t dare start with favorites by decade, much less yearly! Herewith therefore, my ten all-time favorite movies. (In this case, “favorite” simply means a movie I watch over and over and never tire of; I’m not necessarily going for “best.”) In alphabetical order, since ranking is too damn hard!

All About Eve - Possibly the wittiest movie ever made.
Auntie Mame - My very favorite comedy; wish I’d had a Auntie Mame.
Cabaret - Shattering version of a shattering and unforgettable Broadway musical.
Four Hundred Blows - The best movie EVER!
The Greatest Show on Earth - The Greatest train wreck EVER!
Hugo - Wonderful enough to bump West Side Story off my top ten.
Romeo and Juliet (1968) - How wonderful to see teen lovers played by teens; thanks to a great director, it worked.
Singin’ in the Rain - Hollywood’s greatest contribution to the musical genre; sorry Fred, great you were, but....
Some Like It Hot - Hollywood’s greatest contribution to the comedy genre.
To Kill a Mockingbird - The best book adaptation, and Hollywood’s greatest contribution PERIOD.
Tootsie - The last great comedy; they don’t make ‘em like that anymore.

Okay, so that’s eleven. You wouldn’t want me to omit "The Greatest” Film on Earth," would you? You would? Well, how many train wrecks can you think of that won the Oscar? :–)—

P.S.: Literally, I can come up with two more: Lawrence of Arabia and Bridge on the River Kwai. Any others?
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#FF0000]Red[/color][/u] [u][color=#FF0000]River[/color][/u] wrote:My favorite from Maven's list: DOUBLE INDEMNITY. From Chio's: CITIZEN KANE. That was easy!
:roll: Oh brother! You sure did take the easy way out, Red.
[u][color=#FF0000]Lucky[/color][/u] [u][color=#FF0000]Vassall[/color][/u] wrote:We sometimes forget to thank those who work the hardest to bring us new thoughts on fondly remembered and previously overlooked great films of the past. Allow me to assure you that you could bore the pants off me anytime, but I doubt if you ever will. I, like many others, look forward to what you will suggest for each year, and I find something to search out in each list. Please keep up the good work! And, by the way, Thank You!
Thanx Lucky. I know I'm not working hard here at the Oasis. All a labor of love about my favorite subject: classic movies.

Here are the directors who made my list more than once:

Arthur Lubin - 6
Robert Siodmak - 5
Alfred Hitchcock - 5
Edward Dmytryk - 3
Edmund Goulding - 3
Anatole Litvak - 3
Vincent Sherman - 3
Curtis Bernhardt - 2
Michael Curtiz - 2
William Dieterle - 2
Bryon Haskin - 2
Hawks - 2
Huston - 2
Preminger - 2
Rapper - 2
Thorpe - 2
Walsh - 2
Welles - 2
Wyler - 2

Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

kingrat wrote:You are a Lubin-lovin' maven, Maven! Our visit to the 40s has been so much fun. I now have a much clearer sense of the complicated history of 1940s Hollywood. Maven and ChiO have pointed me to films to see, and I've followed up on some of their recommendations.

All aboard for the 1950s! Conformity ahead . . . or paranoia?

Lucky, I enjoyed your list of favorites. You should know that a certain Ms. Applegate around these parts has actually been called Auntie Mame by some of her relatives.
Looking forward to the 50s; perrhaps I'll even have the nerve to join in the comments.

Can't think of a nicer comment than to call a lovely lady Auntie Mame! I'd think of it as on a par with referring to a guy as Atticus Finch! (Afraid I'll always be a "Mrs. Murgatroid" however.)
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I'd think of it as on a par with referring to a guy as Atticus Finch!
Ouch! My teeth are hurting!

They call me Frankie Bono!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Lucky Vassall wrote:Looking forward to the 50s; perrhaps I'll even have the nerve to join in the comments.
Nerve? Comments? Heavens to 'Murgatroyd!' :shock: All we're doing is listing our favorite films. Jump in Lucky. Join the fun.