LISTS

Chit-chat, current events
RedRiver

Re: LISTS

Post by RedRiver »

Interesting arguments all. I enjoy the leisurely beginning of THE BIRDS. This is unlike me. I'm a known "pacing advocate." But like some fascinating suspense novels, the easy slide into terror makes it all the more frightening when we arrive. THE MAN WITH THE X-RAY EYES is superior to the silly Corman films. It's not without its comic book aspect, as the gentleman from Chicago has suggested. The bright colors and carnival look give it an expressionistic atmosphere. But this is not a goofy Roger Corman film. It's thoughtful and thought provoking.

I watched "X-ray Eyes" for the first time as my mother was dying. I was on the go day and night. But late in the evening, I took time to watch the video with...SUGAR! Shug was mom's dog. Now, needless to say, she's mine! I can't think of this interesting movie without remembering that night.

HUD was the movie that made me aware of Paul Newman. I was only nine in 1963. But I suspect even older people got their first look at the bad boy with this haunting Martin Ritt drama. I like it a lot.

And need I say...NYMPHOS!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

( 1962 )

* If you like, you can click on the underlined movie titles to see their trailers.

“ADVISE AND CONSENT” - ( Otto Preminger )

Burgess Meredith - Henry Fonda

What a great political drama. Politics. A microcosm of what’s wrong with human nature. Lies, greed, blackmail, fear, betrayal. And through the muck and mire of it all stands one lone figure of integrity: Henry Fonda. A cast of thousands. Or all who agreed to work w/tyrant, task master: Otto Preminger. I liked all the intertwining tales.

“THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE” - ( Joseph Green )

Virginia Leith

Well...it could happen.

“CAPE FEAR” - ( J. Lee Thompson )

Robert Mitchum - Martin Balsam - Gregory Peck

Chilling. Scary. This is in the hand of masters: Peck and Mitchum. Peck’s an attorney who sent Mitchum up the river. Mitchum’s back and Peck’s got him...up the wazooo. He's out for revenge and he’ll take it out on Peck’s wife and teenage daughter. Mitchum is brutal and relentless, just the way I like my bad guys. Peck must fight fire with fire to protect his family. Ooooh, you know what’d be a good grudge match: Robert Mitchum vs. Robert Ryan. And either one of them could play the good OR bad guy. This had me on the edge of my seat.

“EXPERIMENT IN TERROR” - ( Blake Edwards )

Lee Remick

Man, this is another good one. A bank teller and her kid sister are terrorized by an assailant who knows every move they make and wants money. Lots of it. Lee Remick is sufficiently terrified but finds strength dealing with this. Stephanie Powers is sufficiently nubile, and Glenn Ford is sufficiently authoritative. The asthmatic wheezing of Ross Martin gives him a sinister creepy edge in this taut thriller. The theme song is one of the greatest in movies:

“LOLITA” - ( Stanley Kubrick )

James Mason - Sue Lyon

If you’re creeped out by “The Last Sunset” then you might downright break out in hives over “Lolita.” But I have unlocked the key to the heart of this movie. This is a very biting black comedy. James Mason is in a very age-inappropriate relationship with teen angel, Sue Lyon. But as Lolita, Lyon seems to be in full control. Stanley Kubrick walks a razor thin line between dark humor/satire and...“Eeeew, dude, you’re going too far.”

Shelley Winters just can’t get a break, can she. “Lolita” and “A Place in the Sun” and “Night of the Hunter” has Shelley’s in the way of young love, middle-aged lust or money, but she manages to tug on one's pathos. Sue Lyon, a mere sixteen, is great and looks like she’s in on the joke. Mason, unable to lure her with that silky voice of his, is just led around by his...obsession.

“THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE” - ( John Frankenheimer )

Angela Lansbury - Laurence Harvey

This movie is diabolical. It’s 60...70 years ahead of its time. In fact, its time might be right now. The Manchurians have assassins pre-programmed and ready to go. If there was any justice in the world, the Academy should do a re-count and award a 2015 Oscar to Angela Lansbury for her chilling performance. You just don’t know which way the movie’s going. And once you find out...you won't believe it.

“THAT TOUCH OF MINK” - ( Delbert Mann )

Cary Grant - Doris Day

Cary Grant is the perfect-dashing-debonair-handsome leading man to get you wet. Soaking and splashing wet. See...his car splashes Doris Day during a rainstorm as she’s on her way to a job interview. As he makes amends, he takes her on a wild whirlwind romp of romance and misunderstandings. Perfectly cast with Gig Young, the comic foil a la Tony Randall, Audrey Meadows, the acerbic best friend a la Eve Arden, John Astin as lecherous as can be; and a nice little turn by John Fiedler ( “You librarians sure get around.” ) This is a just a nice warm comedy and the chemistry is great between Hudson and Grant. The movie makes me smile.

“WALK ON THE WILD SIDE” - ( Edward Dmytryk )

Capucine - Barbara Stanwyck - Laurence Harvey ( where Satan, is waitin', to take your hand... )

All star ( mis ) cast in this one. Laurence Harvey seeks his one true love. But he never gets the memo that you can’t go home again. He mixes it up with trollopy Jane Fonda, 'Mexican' Anne Baxter and eventually finds his first love: the cool, European, icily elegant Capucine...in a brothel...with her Madame, played by Barbara Stanwyck, in love with her. Harvey has to go up against Stanwyck? Is he insane? Crazy in love. There’s a whole lot of steam going up in this Louisiana swampfest; like Tennessee Williams gone wild. You’ve got to see how it all hangs together. It’s just wild.

( Here's Stanwyck w/Capucine: )

“WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE?” - ( Robert Aldrich )

Joan Crawford - Bette Davis

This is in the mold of “Sunset Boulevard.” I find this movie jawdroppingly amazing. Why? Simply because of Bette Davis and Joan Crawford; two screen queens - use their years of experience of life, acting. That’s not enough of a reason you say? Grand Guignol? Decaying Hollywood. Macabre, disturbing, poignant. And finally, pity. Two lives wasted. Bette should have won an Oscar for this and “All About Eve.” She was wild, childish and sadistic and revelled in her badness. Davis had the showier role, but Crawford was good too - reserved, tortured; And kudoes for the quiet strength of Maidie Norman.

Bette vs. Joan. That’s all I got. That’s all I need.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This is a cine-miracle! You've topped your list with my favorite pot boiler, Mr. Preminger's best film. You've included THE most suspenseful movie I know in CAPE FEAR. And thrown in my choice for "Best Underwear Scene": Stephanie's powers leave me weak! I've been thinking of watching THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE again. It's pretty weird, but that's the point.

"Bury me!"
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

I also find I agree with this list. Thanks, too, for the way you've presented it with trailers and a brief comment.

Particularly struck by your spot-on comments regarding the relevance in today's world of The Manchurian Candidate"and the power of Angela Landsbury's performance. It got to me so strongly that, when I first saw her on stage in "A Taste of Honey," I had real trouble accepting her as capable of playing comedy. Now that's a truly great actress!
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#FF0000]kingrat[/color][/u] wrote:Maven, are you going to post your 1962 picks? I'll wait before plunging into 1963. 1966 will be the last year for me. It certainly has been fun to work on these year-by-year lists.
Hi there. Brother Rat, you and ChiO continue to do your thing with the lists. I'll bring up the rear and play catch-up. I'm going to go up to 1969, just to complete the era. These lists have made me focus in on what I like and why. I've enjoyed reading everyone's lists.

[u][color=#FF0000]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote: I watched "X-ray Eyes" for the first time as my mother was dying. I was on the go day and night. But late in the evening, I took time to watch the video with...SUGAR! Shug was mom's dog. Now, needless to say, she's mine! I can't think of this interesting movie without remembering that night.
What a poignant story Red.

This is a cine-miracle! You've topped your list with my favorite pot boiler, Mr. Preminger's best film. You've included THE most suspenseful movie I know in CAPE FEAR. And thrown in my choice for "Best Underwear Scene": Stephanie's powers leave me weak! I've been thinking of watching THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE again. It's pretty weird, but that's the point.

"Bury me!"
Red, you make me blush. See...I'm blushing -------> :oops: I'm glad we have some films in common that we like. "Best Underwear Scene" :lol: Why you wolf you!

[u][color=#FF0000]Lucky Vassall[/color][/u] wrote:I also find I agree with this list. Thanks, too, for the way you've presented it with trailers and a brief comment.

Particularly struck by your spot-on comments regarding the relevance in today's world of The Manchurian Candidate" and the power of Angela Landsbury's performance. It got to me so strongly that, when I first saw her on stage in "A Taste of Honey," I had real trouble accepting her as capable of playing comedy. Now that's a truly great actress!
Hi there Lucky - It's nice finding common ground with other classic film lovers. Thank you! I also know what you mean re: Angela Lansbury. ( What a fearless way she portrayed that role! ) I've been effected by other actors playing roles that have tainted their image in my memory almost forever after. After seeing Sam O'Neill in one of the "Omen" movies, I can never be comfortable with him. ( I secretly wished one of the dinosaurs ate him in "Jurassic Park." )

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

This post will interrupt the LIST thread momentarily while I talk to Robert's new grand son who was born on this Fourth of July.

ImageImage

July 8th, 2014
Tuesday

Hi there Tom,

I know there’s a 62-year age difference between us, but I was a baby once myself, so I think I can talk to you. I’m Theresa, your grandfather’s friend from college. Now I can tell you about some cartoons to watch, like Owl Johnson ( ) but it’s about movies for me. Your grand-dad and I talk about movies...a lot. Eventually you’re going to be watching movies. ( It’s in your DNA. ) Let me offer you a suggestion of movies you should see. You’ll have lots of folks guiding you in this art form. And my suggestions aren't really fancy schmancy. They’re pretty basic and just scratch the surface of Movies. Now I may not be giving you good advice, but that's where parents, grandparents and aunts come in. I just wanted to put in my two cents while I have two cents to put in. All my two cents below are my own personal pennies:

COMEDY

There are black comedies and screwball comedies and romantic comedies. There are comedy-dramas too. This is a fun genre full of romance and fallacies about the opposite sex and implausible things happening. They usually have a happy ending, and what’s life without a happy ending:

* “ALL ABOUT EVE”

Bette Davis is the Queen of the Movies, and she’s a powerhouse. The lines in this movie are wicked and come fast and furious. You’ll hear great writing if you watch this movie.

* “HIS GIRL FRIDAY”

This is a cynical comedy, taking bites out of journalism and politics. The two leads ( Cary Grant & Rosalind Russell ) are never better. Take a nap first and then watch this.

* “TWENTIETH CENTURY”

This movie is a wild ride. It’s non-stop crazy antics, like you crazy kids in daycare bouncing off the walls. Carole Lombard and John Barrymore reign supreme here. Lombard was the Queen of Screwball Comedy in the 1930’s.

* DORIS DAY & ROCK HUDSON TRILOGY

This is comedy’s dream team. You’ve got tall dark and handsome Rock Hudson, beautiful blonde and virginal Doris Day. And let me not leave out the third musketeer: Tony Randall who is mostly their comic foil. “Pillow Talk” “Lover Come Back” and “Send Me No Flowers” are warm romantic fun. Share these movies with your future girlfriends. They’ll love you for it.

ROMANTIC DRAMAS

Life is not all primary colors. Sometimes life is sad. You may not win the girl everytime. You may have to eat your vegetables. ( That’ll be the end of the world but you’ll recover. ) Some say ‘tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. I dunno. These movies may have the answer to that:

* “CASABLANCA”

You may have to give up the girl you love and who loves you. But it’s all about sacrifice, recognizing the world is bigger than you. But try not to give her up.

* “NOW, VOYAGER”

This is known as a “woman’s picture” ( sometimes they use that word in a bad way ) but sometimes that’s not a bad thing. You will see a woman’s growth. It’s good for you to see that. Again, it stars Bette Davis.

* “RANDOM HARVEST”

Love never forgets, even if one of you loses your memory. One of the best acted movies of the 1940’s. ( My two cents, remember. )

* “PORTRAIT OF JENNIE”

Ahhhh so romantic. Be on the lookout for your muse in whatever passion you pursue. If only you see her and no one else does, don’t be alarmed.

* “IN A LONELY PLACE”

This movie is a little disturbing, but a good one by Nicholas Ray. ( Ray...see teen angst. ) You must learn to trust. And lying by omission is not good. Here’s another one with Bogart. And it also stars Gloria Grahame. Who is Gloria Grahame? Oh boy oh boy, just you wait.

FILM NOIR

Tom, this genre is my bailiwick. I just love it. I hope you will too. But tread carefully. It’s life on the dark side of the moon. Everyone plays rough. There’ll be violence...and betrayal. You can’t trust anyone in this world. People get hurt. It may not be a world you’ll be a part of ( I hope not ) but it’s good to know it exists. You can do it safely by checking out these films. Oh, and check out the directors and cinematographers who command this world. They do a lot with a little:

* “OUT OF THE PAST”

Some girls are nice. Some girls are mean. Pick wisely. If she steals money, stay away. If she looks anything like Jane Greer, well...

* “NIGHTMARE ALLEY”

This is what happens when your reach exceeds your grasp. You can reach for the stars little guy. Just reach for good things and don’t hurt people in the process. ( Tyrone Power...see handsomest man in the movies. )

* “THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS”

Here’s a film noir from a woman’s perspective. And the woman is Barbara Stanwyck. She was one of the greats too; on par with Bette Davis, but in a different way. With this movie, sometimes you can’t go home again. Beware of houses with grand staircases.

* “THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE”

If she wears all white after Labor Day, run. And if a girl asks you to kill her husband, kiss her goodbye and then run even faster. Trust me on this. Make sure you see “Ossessione” which your grand-dad likes better, but you should probably wait until you’re twenty-one.

HITCHCOCK

He is known as the Master of Suspense. He is a genre unto himself. He is probably the most well-known of all directors, by any kid in the sandbox ( or their parents. ) He’s a great filmmaker and tackles different topics: courtroom, religion, politics, obsession. And he threw in a comedy or two. I just love him. You could spend your whole high school years discovering and uncovering his films. He’s wonderful, and my favorite:

* “PSYCHO”

Love your mom. Be a good son. But date lots of girls your own age. You might be freaked out by this movie, but remember...it's only a movie. Besides, Norman wouldn't hurt a fly.

* “THE BIRDS”

If you don’t bother Nature, Nature won’t bother you. Think twice before you chase a pidgeon in the park. They have feathered friends. And, uhmmm...you might beware of blondes. ( I'm just sayin'. )

* “NOTORIOUS”

IF you love a girl, tell her. Don’t let her go into a den of Nazis.

*SHADOW OF A DOUBT

Your grandpa and I talked about this film. I love it ‘cuz I love Teresa Wright. And Joseph Cotten is very good. He can play so many types of characters. They had good chemistry together in this battle for the family. You don’t have to be John Wayne to be a hero or to protect your family. Teresa Wright’s an example of bravery. And she’s awful cute, Tom. A nice girl you can bring home to your folks.

* “VERTIGO”

All isn’t what it seems. When you fall in love, will you fall in love with the person or the image of the person. This love thing is tricky. Talk to your folks. No wait...talk to your friends. It’s alll...about...Kim...Novak!

WESTERNS

There are a lot of lessons in this genre. White hats vs. Black hats; conflicted heroes; a people oppressed; sweeping vistas. And horsies!! Lots of ‘em. You’ll see sheriffs and desperadoes. There’s redemption. You may have to pick a side someday.

This is my least confident genre, but there are some movies I can recommend for you. Other folks know better:

* “THE SEARCHERS”

Don’t let hate and revenge blind you.

* “THE OX BOW INCIDENT”

Don’t succumb to groupthink or mob mentality. But you may have to give in to peer pressure. Try to get the facts first before you banish a kid to Siberia. Maybe he's not the kid who stole your lunch. Why get in trouble?

* “HIGH NOON”

Sometimes you may be alone in the cafeteria and have to stand on principles. Watch how Gary Cooper does it. Then do what he does...without the gun.

* “DUEL AT DIABLO”

There’s two sides to every story, especially when woven together seamlessly. This is a rousing western, kid. ( As is “Jason and the Argonauts”!!! - though that’s not a Western. ) And yes, there were Black cowboys. ( Ha! I didn’t know that when I was a kid. Now you know. You’re ahead of the game at only four days old. )

* “TALL IN THE SADDLE”

Admire strong women. Let a pretty girl rope you in.

GANGSTERS

Basically a thoroughly bad lot, Tom. But you’ve got to see what NOT to do. That’s a lesson in and of itself:

* “WHITE HEAT”

It’s okay to love your Mom, but date a lot of girls. Stay in school. And don’t do break the law. Cody does. And it blows up in his face.

* “ROARING TWENTIES”

Cagney is good as a good guy, and Cagney is good as a bad guy. The sooner you learn this, the more you will like movies. Don’t argue.

* “MARKED WOMAN”

Admire strong women who don’t take any guff from anybody. Respect all women. Oh yeah, you may learn to like Bette Davis. This is the third Bette Davis film I mentioned. Check out Warner Bros. for a bunch of hard-hitting films, when you’re a little older and know how to tie your shoe laces.

HORROR / MONSTER / SCI-FI

I’d better lump ‘em all together here. They may be of no nutritional value ( like ice cream or UTZ barbecue potato chips. ) But kids eat junks. And you're a kid. Some of these will just scare you. And you’ll like being scared, ‘cuz you know your folks are right in the next room:

ImageImageImage

* “FRANKENSTEIN”

IF you become a scientist, don’t bring the dead to life. That NEVER works. Try to cure people. Perhaps there won’t be cancer or AIDS when you’re a man.

* “DRACULA”

It’s not nice to bite people. You cannot make friends this way. Vampires are lonely people. Do not believe that old cable tv show, “True Blood.” They don’t know vampires.

* “THE MUMMY” - Watch Karloff in this movie because it has the best line in all of movies:

“Call her. He’s dragged her back to ancient Egypt. Call her. Her love for you will bridge the centuries.”

Love is very strong and powerful.

* “THE ATTACK OF THE FIFTY FOOT WOMAN”

Some may say it’s corny. And it is. But watch it anyway .And don’t cheat on your girlfriend. She may grow up to be a giant and hunt you down with papier mache hands. She’ll embarass you in front of your buddies.

* “THE INCREDIBE SHRINKING MAN”

There are some existential questions this film addresses. That sentence will make no sense to you at four days old...or a twelve years old. But the special effects are way cool!!! Be nice to your wife. You may shrink to be two feet tall. Hold off on getting any pets, too.

THE END OF AN ERA

I don’t have a real clear reason for you to see this movie. And maybe no one will. ( LOL! That means Laugh Out Loud! I laugh at my own jokes, like Red Skelton did. ) But it IS an end of sorts of an era what with Gable going, and this being Marilyn’s last completed film. You’ll learn about Gable and Monroe and all sorts of movie stars. Your friends won’t be impressed, but your grandparents’ friends’ll be thrilled you know this stuff. Be prepared to have your cheeks pinched.

Just see: “THE MISFITS.”

CYNICISM

Tough to explain cynicism to a little tyke like you. Movies here are rough. Lots of grown people throw other grown people under the bus. Under the bus? Well...it’s like thirty baby carriages rolling over your legs as you learn to crawl.

* “NO WAY OUT”

Have a diverse group of pals so you won’t be a jerk and a whackadoodle like Richard Widmark is in this movie.

* “SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS”

Watch this one closely. Study these folks. And then do the exact opposite of almost everyone in this movie.

* “THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE”

Don’t believe everything politicians tell you, left - right OR middle. Be careful who shuffles your cards. The deck could be stacked against you.

DO enjoy your journey with classic films and the films that'll be popular in YOUR day Tom. I wish I could be there. :) xoxo

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

“THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN” Hold off on getting any pets

And watch out for spiders!
feaito

Post by feaito »

GREAT LIST TESS AND WHAT A TOUR DE FORCE. I COMMEND THE HUGE EFFORT AND ALL THE WORK (LABOR OF LOVE) YOU HAVE DONE.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hi there Red, Feaito and Brother Rat. Thank you very much for your compliments. :)

feaito

Post by feaito »

You are very welcome Tess. It is always a pleasure to read your smart write-ups.
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

I agree wholeheartedly with the compliments heaped upon you by the others. It is a magnificent idea, magnificently presented. I do hope that others will be inspired to present their opinions on the cinematic records we are leaving behind for future generations.

Come to think of it, that's exactly what this and other such discussion groups are doing. I trust that when they grow older Tom and others of his generation and future generations will search out these records and be inspired to discover the classics even if some of them aren't in color and some don't even have sound. (And they even require some kind of screen to view them on and are FLAT!)

Indeed, this past century is the first one that has been in a position to leave detailed lasting records, beyond static paintings and written words, that will live on far into the future. What a wonderful legacy.
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The Incredible Scribbling Maven! Wonderful post, T... I think Tom will love movies with this great start you've given him.

I am going to go ahead and add

My Man Godfrey

Munro Leaf taught us that Manners Can Be Fun.

My Man Godfrey teaches us that social commentary can be fun.

Oh yeah, and dishwashing.

Oh, and I know it looks romantic, Tom, but please, DON'T put your girlfriend in the shower to get rid of those nasty old faints.

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#FF0000]Lucky Vassall[/color][/u] wrote:I agree wholeheartedly with the compliments heaped upon you by the others. It is a magnificent idea, magnificently presented. I do hope that others will be inspired to present their opinions on the cinematic records we are leaving behind for future generations.
Hello Lucky. Thank you so much for saying that. You know you're right; the future needs us now. :)

[u][color=#FF0000]JackFavell[/color][/u] wrote:The Incredible Scribbling Maven! Wonderful post, T... I think Tom will love movies with this great start you've given him.
Thank you so much...and hiya doin' JaxxXxxon!! What's cooking? I'm lovin' the moniker you've given me. Thanxx! :D ( His parents saw my list and his Mom sent me a lovely e-mail. :oops: )

My Man Godfrey - teaches us that social commentary can be fun.

Oh yeah, and dishwashing.

Oh, and I know it looks romantic, Tom, but please, DON'T put your girlfriend in the shower to get rid of those nasty old faints.
Ahhhhh. One of the great screwball classics you got here. See Tom, like Wendy says ( JackFavell is her pretend name ) you canNOT go wrong with Lombard. And the movie'll teach you how to walk in another person's shoes:
...And yeah, that dumping into a shower only works in the movies. She won't be laughing.