CINEMATIC MAVENATIC TRANSFORMATION POLL

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: CINEMATIC MAVENATIC TRANSFORMATION POLL

Post by movieman1957 »

I subscribe to a podcast of Dean and Jerry's old radio show. Almost 100 episodes in the list. Lots of fun.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

How do you do it? Can I get there from here? Does it cost anything?
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Dean was my favorite singer. Like Sinatra, Bennett and other great ones, he interpreted the lyrics, rather than just fitting them to the music. His timing was pure perfection. My mom used to marvel at his TV show on Thursday nights. She'd say, "I don't know if he has a great voice, or he just picks such beautiful songs." I think it was both. The best tape I ever owned was a Dean Martin greatest hits collection. Every cut was truly wonderful!

Joey Bishop said when Martin and Lewis ended their partnership, people thought Dean was finished. Surprise!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

love all these examples! red, your eloquent description of john wayne's career and persona was brilliant!

love the stubenville valentino: dean "dino" martin.

my favorite DM tune:

[youtube][/youtube]
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

DINO! We never missed his show! That is the show I remember watching with my Mom and Dad.

Miss G., one of my favorites, too!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

As it happens, I've thought of another example of this thread topic. There was an actor named Ronald Reagan, a mediocre player with limited believability. Then...there was the rest of him! Some appreciated his second career. Some didn't. But it certainly was a transformation!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

That is a great song, Miss Goddess! I'd be all day determining my favorite Martin hit. I like "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You." There's a country number called "Houston." But like millions, and I mean MILLIONS, I adore his signature "Everybody Loves Somebody." That is one lovely little tune!

And let's not forget the sweet little piece sung by Dude in RIO BRAVO. "My Rifle, My Pony and Me," or whatever it's called, is as pretty as the purple skies it describes!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

After seeing the movie of the same name, I have come to love "Return to Me".
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

And would Moonstruck be as bittersweet with Dean Martin's rendition of "That's Amore!"

And what about the many transformations of Cher, 3D, The Movie?
Part of a duo with bangs...
Brunette, no bangs...
Academy Award Winning Actress...
Blonde...
Blonde AND Brunette...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Can I wade in about Dean Martin too? Dean Martin is the voice, Frank Sinatra has the reputation as the voice and spent emornous amounts of time on his arrangements, he was consummate professional in charge of his career. Dean, I don't buy that he was a fly by the seat of his pants type, careless about his career but I don't think he was as much as a craftsman with his songs as Frank. Dino had they voice, there's something in his voice that I've only heard in one other singer and that was Elvis. I only have some Dino compilation albums but can anyone recommend any of Dino's albums? I like him singing in Italian just as much as English.

Heck, I'm the girl who came to Dino first then discovered Jerry Lewis.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I think Dean definitely cared about his career and where he was going, and staying relevant and moving ever forward. What I meant...what I should have said is that his voice sounded extremely relaxed. I didn’t think of Elvis...but I totally agree with you Alison about Elvis’ voice being similar to Dino’s. There’s this warbling that they both do. I think there voice comes from deeper in their throat and diaphragms. ( I’m no vocal coach so I can’t explain what I mean. Ack! )

CHER? Christy? Well she’s Transformation personified. She certainly evolved from that little girl Sonny found and molded. I was never crazy about “Moonstruck” but thought Cher did a fantastic job in “Silkwood.” I think she should have pursued acting more seriously, and maybe she'd be taken seriously; she kind of was so CHER, it was hard to forget she was CHER.

...Which brings me to my post below.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Here I go again.

:shock: Wondering. :shock:

Within the confines of this thread, I started to wonder why MORE singers didn't turn to acting and make it in a big way like the folks below. My crooner genealogy goes something like: Rudy - to - Bing...Bing - to - Sinatra...Sinatra - to - Elvis. Maybe Elvis to The Beatles? ( HA! It took four of them to equal one Elvis. ) These folks were pretty big entertainers in their day and they made the transition to motion pictures, which altered their careers. Or, in fact, gave them two careers: a double threat. Why aren't there more? ( Uhhhh...I don't know if I want to add rappers Tupac, Ludacris or Sean "Puffy" Combs to the acting mix. ) Why Frankie Avalon but not Bobby Rydell? If Whitney Houston could have conquered her habit...what might have been. Tell me...what other singers am I forgetting who made it in acting in a big way ( ...In a big way - that's why I'm leaving out the beautiful Lena Horne. )

SINATRA:

Image Image

This list is in no particular order, but Frankie should come first, no? Just being married to AVA should entitle him first dibs any place. ( Mickey Rooney was no singer. ) Would you agree that Sinatra winning an Academy Award for "From Here to Eternity" changed the course of his career from even lite musical fare to being considered an Actor? No doubt he was a singer first. Click on that photo of Frankie and listen to "I'm A Fool To Want You." His plaintive voice will drop you to your knees.

DORIS DAY:

Image Image

She's got a voice like thick maple syrup. And I don't mean in a sweet sickly saccharine way. I'm talking of the consistency of her voice. It's thick, like Johnny Mathis'. She battles it out in my inner ear with Ella Fitzgerald. Ella really didn't have the looks Hollywood would go for. ( Lena did, but her acting roles were neglible.) Doris could do drama or comedy, sing or dance. She was an amazing talent. And top box office for many years. Working with handsome Rock Hudson? Nice work if you can get it. I love love love Doris Day.

BING CROSBY:

Image Image

I think I read or heard some place that DER BINGLE was the first baritone voice heard on radio swimming in a sea of tenors. He didn't have matinee idol looks, but he was an easy breezy personality on screen. And teaming him up with Bob Hope was, dareIsay: "BRILLIANT!" and a stroke of genius. He's the first crooning Oscar-winner, but I think he should have gotten his Academy Award for "The Country Girl." I don't know what his sons would say about him, but on screen, Bing makes it look effortless.

SAMMY DAVIS, Jr.:

ImageImageImage

What makes Sammy run? Wanting to be included, to be seen, not just as a Black man, but as a man; an entertainer. No doubt, he WAS The Hardest Working Man In Show Business. Pretty special to be included in the Rat Pack wouldn't you say? But apart from that raucously wild & woolly "boys club" Sammy was out there on his own doing serious fare in "A Man Called Adam" and "Anna Lucasta." Back to singing but on Broadway he appeared in "Golden Boy." He's a song and dance man who made it. I cannot imagine the hell it was, being "The First." What kind of fool am I? One who likes Sammy Davis, Jr.

DEAN MARTIN:

Image Image

Is Dino the Robert Mitchum of singer/actors? He makes it look easy, and he makes it look like he doesn't care. Got an easy lazy style. He did a western or two, then got in on the spy genre with "Matt Helm." I really liked him in "Some Came Running." What work? Girls and booze. Booze and girls. Honestly, I think that was all a ruse though. He had that pretty wife at home and a whole slew of kids. Dramatically - he's up against Geraldine Page ( a "fave" of many around here - :P ) and survived Susan Hayward. I also used to watch Dean's variety show. But when Tom Jones came on the scene...well...aren't women s'posed to be fickle? Dino, you know I love ya!!

HARRY BELAFONTE:
Image Image

Before Belafonte there was Sidney Poitier. And before Poitier there was James Edwards - but neither of them could sing Calypso or wear his shirt opened down to his navel like Belafonte. "DAY-O. DAAAAAAAY-O!! Belafonte comin' and I want him home...." Of course, he was more than that. Hollywood gave him a shot. He wasn't cheesing it up in comedies; he was put in dramatic fare. He stood toe-to-toe opposite Robert Ryan in "0DDS AGAINST TOMORROW." Belafonte was drop-dead gorgeous but that got a little tricky when they paired him opposite the likes of Joan Fontaine or the lovely Inger Stevens. But for the restrictions of the time, he threaded that needle successfully - ( Petula Clark touching his arm during their duet, notwithstanding. ) Society could be more comfortably relaxed watching him star opposite someone equally beautiful as he, Dorothy Dandridge in "CARMEN JONES." He still sang, acted, took up activist causes. No, he didn't get the roles or Hollywood anointment Sidney Poitier received, but I'll bet you he has no bigger fan than his old friend, Poitier.

ELVIS:

ImageImageImage

Col. Parker was totally in control of this swivel-hipped golden goose. If only he had let him stretch his wings in more dramatic fare. But the Colonel wasn't about to take that chance 'less he lose one of those golden eggs. So Elvis was relegated to the clambake on the speedway where he watched girls girls girls who weren't his kissin' cousins. What's he got to kick about. He was girl happy and had fun in acapulco where double trouble caused Elvis to go harum scarum. I must say, It was perfect casting him opposite that other heat-seeking missile, Ann-Margret. But in the beginning with "JAILHOUSE ROCK" and "KING CRE0LE" and "WILD COUNTRY" and "FLAMING STAR" he might have had a chance to change his trajectory once more.

RUDY VALLEE:

Image Image

They say the flappers' screams were soooooooo loud when Rudy sang, that he had to take to the megaphone to be heard. I just love that during my grandparents' time, girls were girls and crooners could swoon 'em. I guess Rudy was the Beginning...coming in when Talkies first started. He had the Joe College thing going on. Then later on in movies he was the stuffed-shirt, nerdy guy who might be wealthy...but you knew the herioine was never really going to fall for him. Ralph Bellamy would probably stand a better chance as the second supporting lead, who'd get the girl. Rudy was pretty good in "The Palm Beach Story." and "THE BACHELOR & THE BOBBY SOXER." I'm thinking movies gave him a second career, when a different style of singing became all the rage. After all...Rudy Vallee ain't nothin' but a hound dog:

What goes around, comes around.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh god, I LOVE Rudy Vallee, especially in his second career as a comic second lead. I completely agree with you, that it was generous of him to take his own image and play on it that way. He's downright hilarious in Palm Beach Story, and in The B and the B. Half the reason I watch either of these movies is Rudy.

"Tipping is un-American."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

his voice sounded extremely relaxed.

Johnny Carson once told Bing Crosby, "You make Perry Como look like he's on uppers!"
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Nobody sings heartache like Frank Sinatra, In The Wee Small Hours was recorded after he split up with Ava and you can hear it every note.

One of the singers Elvis modelled his singing on was Dean Martin. Heck, I don't know what it is that I find similar about their singing but it is a depth and a warmth to their voices. If I was to chose a man jusr from the way they sang and had no idea about looks, character etc, those are the two guys I'd be chooisng between. If only :roll:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin