Vale Rise Stevens

Chit-chat, current events
Fossy

Vale Rise Stevens

Post by Fossy »

Rise Stevens 11 June 1913--20 March 2013

One of the great voices of the Metropolitan Opera, New York-born mezzo-soprano Rise (pronounced REE-za) Stevens made her debut with the company in 1939 as Octavian in Richard Strauss's "Der Rosenkavalier" in a tour performance in Philadelphia. Her other notable roles in 21 years with the company included the two characterizations most associated with her, the title role in Bizet's "Carmen" and Dalila in Saint-Saens's "Samson et Dalila," Laura in Ponchielli's "La Gioconda," Marfa in Mussorgsky's "Khovanschina," Prince Orlofsky in Johann Strauss's "Die Fledermaus," and Hansel in Humperdinck's "Hansel und Gretel." A great beauty as well as a great singer, she enjoyed one of the more successful careers of the many opera singers who made films, most notably in "The Chocolate Soldier" opposite Nelson Eddy and "Going My Way" with Bing Crosby and Barry Fitzgerald. She was also something of a fixture on early TV, appearing frequently on such programs as "The Bell Telephone Hour" and "The Voice of Firestone," where she sang both operatic arias and popular songs. She also appeared on one of the first telecasts from the Met, in 1954, singing Carmen opposite one of her most frequent Don Joses, Richard Tucker.

Following her retirement from opera in 1960, she continued to play a very active role in the New York fine arts scene. In 1964, she inaugurated the Music Theater of Lincoln Center as Anna Leonowens in a well-received revival of "The King and I," produced by Richard Rodgers, opposite Darren McGavin's King. Also that year, she became Director of the Metropolitan Opera National Company, a touring company which served as a training ground for promising young singers and conductors, many of whom (Marilyn Niska, Ron Boettcher) became members of the regular company. She held this job for three years, until the company ceased operations when the Met could no longer afford to finance it. After that she remained active with the Met as a long-time official of the Metropolitan Opera Guild.

Married to actor Walter Surovy from 1939 until his death in 2001, their only child is the actor Nicolas Surovy
mongoII

Re: Vale Rise Stevens

Post by mongoII »

Sorry that this lovely lady is gone. She was a delight in "Going My Way", with her sunny disposition and beautiful voice.
Glad to know that she lived to the age of 99. R.I.P. Miss Stevens.
Joseph Goodheart