Chit-chat, current events
Dewey1960

Re: DEWEY'S RECORD PARTY!

Post by Dewey1960 »

DJ-Klonnie quips: {hardly my first choice to honor
the late Sir Sky, but Dewey went & hogged up everything
else from YouTube!}

Au contraire, DJ-K-man! Here's an odd little tid-bit from
SKY SAXON and the SEEDS that you overlooked...
"The Wind Blows Your Hair
[youtube][/youtube]
klondike

Post by klondike »

Right as usual, Boss (small wonder ya get the corner soundbooth here!), but you'll need to wait to put me on that dunce-stool . .
Because, first I need to make this announcement . .
Tomorrow afternoon - Mrs. Klondike is re-starting her long-stalled career as a broadcast DJ right here @ WOOL, the Black Sheep of New England Radio, 100.1 on your FM dial in the Upper Connecticut River Valley.
It's been 20 years since she earned her broadcast degree @ Seattle Community College, and began hosting the evening show @ KITZ in Silverdale, Wa., but I'm sure she'll just "bicycle" her way right back to her old expertise behind the mike . .
And to celebrate her return to the airwaves, what better than the grooviest anthem ever written for broadcast DJs the world over:

[youtube][/youtube]
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

A big old hats off to Mrs. DJ-K! And here to help celebrate her great
news is, well, the second grooviest anthem ever written for broadcast
DJs the world over...
DONNA SUMMER "On The Radio"
[youtube][/youtube]
klondike

Post by klondike »

Friends & neighbors, please bear with me.
Way early this morning, in the dark before dawn, I dreamt my daughter came to me, a precocious 9 year old again, and sat on my lap, and told me she would keep on returning to me, forever, whenever I needed her most, until it was time to join her, and as vital & sacred as that message was, I couldn't stop crying - in the Dreamtime, or here.
So indulge this great, swollen, flooding heart of mine today . . . and listen: if you've got adult children, do me this boon - regardless how they're behaving, or where they are, call 'em up today, and tell them straight-out that you love 'em better than anything else in your life, and apologize for not saying it more often, cause if there's one thing that I KNOW, it's that you just can't tell a child that often enough, try though you might . . and if they're anywhere in your presence today, go right over & HUG 'em, both arms, hard, til they almost can't breathe . . 'cause they are the greatest treasure you'll ever have, & never deserve . . .

[youtube][/youtube]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

The Glorious Fourth (this year being partially celebrated on the Inglorious Third) will soon be upon us.

May I present (from the movie version of 1776)

The Founding Fathers Follies, or How Thomas Jefferson Got Stuck with the Job of Writing the Declaration of Independence (or, Paul Giamatti, Eat Your Heart Out)
[youtube][/youtube]
klondike

Post by klondike »

Excellent choice, Judith!
In fact, my exact choice when I thought of tapping 1776 today!
So, instead, I'll follow it up with something almost as good:

[youtube][/youtube]
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Brad -- Buttercup
[youtube][/youtube]
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

A friend of mine sent me this youtube clip of Taylor Swift singing Def Leppard's Photograph w/Joe Elliot and the band:

[youtube][/youtube]

I found it quite amusing that the song was carefully arranged so that she would not have to hit any of the "hard parts" that often plague male singers of this tune (they even tuned down for her). Even more surprising was the fact that Elliot at 50+ years was still popping those high ones with little difficulty.

Whatever you might think of Leppard and the "hair-band" music that followed, Photograph is a skillfully constructed pop tune with great production from genius Mutt Lange (plus it's about a classic film star!). While the 80's were definitely a time of excess, you did have to be able to actually sing and play your instrument passably well. Try this version Taylor:

[youtube][/youtube]
klondike

Post by klondike »

As long as we're navigating through those misty Isles (canned peas to the right, toiletries on the left) in the Great Lake of the 80's, how about getting all charged up for the 4th with this firecracker ?!!

[youtube][/youtube]
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Since I'm still in a hard rock mood, I'll see your Power Station, and trade you some Whitesnake. No, not that late 80's heavy metal crap. In the late 70's and early 80's, Snake was more of a blues-based band and their European releases were little known unless you scoured the import bin. Coverdale turned this to his advantage by re-recording several songs from the excellent Saints and Sinners (1982) and releasing them as singles when he received an American contract. Here I Go Again is obviously the best known cut (and probably bought many a snow tire), but notice how organ is used (that's Jon Lord of Deep Purple fame playing) giving more of an R&B church feel while the guitar solo is a quieter harmony part that fits the song much better than the buzzsaw lead of the 87 album. As for the lyrics, like Spinal Tap, Snake seems to be treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry, but who cares?

Young Blood
[youtube][/youtube]

Here I Go Again
[youtube][/youtube]

Saints & Sinners
[youtube][/youtube]
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I don't think this needs an introduction.

[youtube][/youtube]

Happy Fourth of July SSO!
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Happy 4th of July, everybody!
JAY & THE AMERICANS "Only In America"
[youtube][/youtube]
klondike

Post by klondike »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:I don't think this needs an introduction.
It certainly did not, my friend, and neither should this:

[youtube][/youtube]
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

How 'bout this one?

Soundgarden --Fourth of July
[youtube][/youtube]
Metry_Road

Post by Metry_Road »

To get us all ready for the mew Harry Potter movie here's some witchy type music from my hairier days.

Rattles - The Witch
[youtube][/youtube]

T.Rex - Ride A White Swan
[youtube][/youtube]

Steeleye Span - Alison Gross
[youtube][/youtube]

For the headbanger in all of us...
Judas Priest - The Greem Manilishi
[youtube][/youtube]

Yoko Ono - Yes, I'm A Witch
[youtube][/youtube]

Best Wishes