Chit-chat, current events
ChiO

Re: DEWEY'S RECORD PARTY!

Post by ChiO »

The Boss(es) Speaks:

[youtube][/youtube]
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

The Beatles

Hey Jude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvHsTQUA2SE

Sorry not being able to get the "box" up ... I play this once in a great while ...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

hahahahaha! Oh man, two Bosses are better than one!

Top 5 Springsteen songs:

1. Meeting Across the River - Beautiful. Heartbreaking. Perfect.
[youtube][/youtube]

2. Factory
[youtube][/youtube]

3. Rosalita
[youtube][/youtube]

4. Fire
[youtube][/youtube]

5. Hungry Heart - Before you say this is a weird choice out of all the songs that Bruce has done, listen to it again and let me give a defense of this little song. For me, the original studio version is darn near perfect, because it's everything a standard pop song ought to be. It's a perfect 45 release, short and sweet, leaves you wanting more. There's that tremendous, EXCITING drum paradiddle which if I hear it on the car radio never fails to make me scream out, "This is MY SONG!" and turn up the radio fast. This is a case of a song that got some airplay back in 1980 but not enough to kill it for me. A real 1950's style doo-wop, a throwback that should never have been a hit and on top of that it's impeccably produced. You get this wall of sound style production - just so dense, but you can still hear the voices coming up at different times, the organ here, the honky tonk piano there, the little plinky bells, those background vocals, Bruce's La la la lah lah laaaaa laaah... those sound choices, the voices coming out of the backdrop tell their own human story which mimics the idea of the song. So by the time it's done, you've actually traveled musically from a beginning point to an end point. The greatest driving song, and I love most driving songs, ones that make you want to leave your job and just go down the road to whatever's ahead. And I love the plaintive words, the yearning. It's a great great pop tune.

[youtube][/youtube]

My apologies for not including Drive All Night, Highway Patrolman, especially Highway Patrolman, Prove it All Night, Because the Night, The Ghost of Tom Joad, I'm On Fire (which always reminds me of Charles Starkweather), anything off of The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle, and Darkness on the Edge of Town. Of course, there's Born to Run, which has my name in it. Bruce actually speaks my name.... but I had to go with my gut favorites. Love his story songs best, but how could I not include Fire? Impossible, it's like the spark before the flame.

In high school and college I used to say that there are two types of people, the ones who like Bob Seger, and the ones who like Bruce Springsteen (Of course I realized later there is a distinct other group, one so underground that makes the other guys pale - that's the Tom Waits group). So which are you? I'm more of a Tom Waits, with a leaning towards Springsteen when he's doing the loner thing, or the street story thing. The songs I like best are the ones that establish a disconcerting mood - the doomed songs, the loser songs, the songs that are about the people you know are one day never going to wake up, or who are never going to make it in this world.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I swear...you've got to write for a MUSIC Magazine. Loved your review for "Hungry Heart." It's one of the few songs of the The Boss where I can understand his diction. I've got to see how to pass that review onto my friend Christian who writes liner notes for albums. And gets PAID for it too. Hmmmm, I hear the wheels turning....
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

PAID???? You mean people get PAID for this? :D

I have such a feeling for that song, Hungry Heart, T. It just thrills me. It touches my deep longing for adventure, and also my more irresponsible side, the part of me that wants to just run and never come back. If Meeting Across the River weren't so good, I might have put it at my number one spot.

Did you listen to Meeting Across the River? It's got a really noir story that I think you would love.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

there are two types of people, the ones who like Bob Seger, and the ones who like Bruce Springsteen
There were those two fanatic bases. For some reason, The Boss didn't give me (other than Rosalita and Born to Run) that chill factor - you know, where it starts at the back of your neck, shoots down your spine, and the knees get weak. But Seger didn't either after 2 + 2 = ? and Ramblin' Gamblin' Man.

There was a quasi-similar artist around their time, though, that did it for me for a short while.

[youtube][/youtube]

This still does it from the opening chord.
[youtube][/youtube]

"Get lucky sometimes"?
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

And this...released as I was getting divorced...
[youtube][/youtube]

Hottest LP rotation at home during the early-'80s for the chill factor:
Petty with "Hard Promises"
Elvis Costello with "Imperial Bedroom"
Brian Eno with "Before and After Science"
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I'll make this brief so as not to get in the midst of your musical conversation here...
[u][color=#800000]JackFavel[/color]l[/u] wrote:PAID???? You mean people get PAID for this? :D
:lol:
I have such a feeling for that song, Hungry Heart, T. It just thrills me. It touches my deep longing for adventure, and also my more irresponsible side, the part of me that wants to just run and never come back.
If you run, will you take Lily with you? Her little legs can fly pretty fast to keep up with you.
If Meeting Across the River weren't so good, I might have put it at my number one spot. Did you listen to Meeting Across the River? It's got a really noir story that I think you would love.
I don't know the song Wendy. I'll really give it a listen when I have some calm quiet time.

[u][color=#FF0000]ChiO[/color][/u] wrote:The Boss(es) Speaks...
Fallon and The Boss did a very clever riff on the situation we're having over here. Here is my take on things with our Bridge Over the River Hudson.

Image Image Image
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I sound like a huge Bruce Springsteen fan, but actually i stopped paying attention at Born in the USA. Sometimes the Boss can be derivative musically, but lately I'm appreciating some of that older stuff he did, the Woody/Dylan even sometimes jam band vibe that he carried and carries on with his music. Not especially inventive musically, he does have something that draws me back - a love of common people, people from the other side of the tracks. Meeting Across the River is a song beyond anything else he ever did, and yes, it gives me that thrill, that back of the neck hairline thing you talked about. I think there is an ambition to tell stories, a deep intense part of Springsteen that I like very much, though his music doesn't always keep up with the strength of that intensity.

I can't bear Bob Seger. That's all I'll say.

Tom Petty kind of transcends the other two, because he's just doing his thing and doesn't seem to care much what anyone else is doing at any given time. You already posted one of my favorite songs by this musician, The Waiting. Petty is pretty much the type of musician who just wants to be a member of the band, couldn't care less about the stardom or the rest of it. At least that's the vibe I get, and it's what sets him apart.

Top 5 for Tom Petty:

1. The Waiting

2. Free Fallin' - another great run away driving song. Why do these appeal to me so?

[youtube][/youtube]

3.Don't Come Around Here No More - best video EVER, from my MTV days. Perfect with Petty as the Mad Hatter.

[youtube][/youtube]

4. Learning to Fly

[youtube][/youtube]

5. Into the Great Wide Open

[youtube][/youtube]
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The local theatre group we see most often is the Black Ensemble
Theater. It produces Musicals, usually written by its founder, based
on individuals ("The Story of Billie Holiday") or movements ("The Story
of Stax Records"). The writing is often just so-so, but the
performances...incredible!

My favorite of the shows, "The Jackie Wilson Story" (we saw the
production 10 years before this clip)

[youtube][/youtube]

#2: "Howlin' at the Moon"

[youtube][/youtube]

Then this past weekend we saw the new #3, "The Story of Curtis
Mayfield". Curtis, paralyzed, narrates the story from his wheelchair
or bed, while a young Curtis plays out the story.

[youtube][/youtube]

The finale - Curtis is wheeled out to accept his Lifetime Achievement
Award at the Grammys. He tells the theater audience that while the
accolade was happening, he wasn't thinking about the praise or the
award...he was thinking about (and he gets out of the wheelchair
as my tears started falling):

[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, ChiO! There's some INCREDIBLE musical talent here! Not only are they spot on with their ability to recreate the look and sound of those famous performers, they are just plain GOOD in their own right. That Curtis Mayfield ending would have had me in tears too. I practically am already just reading your description. And you picked my favorite song, People Get Ready.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Three guesses - and the first two don't count - as to who selected the
play to go to. MrsChiO and the 26-year old were happy to go because
we always enjoy the productions, but the name "Curtis Mayfield" meant
nothing to them.

When this song was sung, MrsChiO said, "Oh! He wrote this?"

[youtube][/youtube]

When this song was sung, the 26-year old said, "Yeah! I love this!"

[youtube][/youtube]

When this song was sung, the 26-year old said,"This was from a movie?"

[youtube][/youtube]

Teaching moments.

But the song that made my knees buckle from the very first note
(it always does), and he didn't even write it or sing lead, is:

[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh,I'm not the hugest Jerry Butler fan, but that was beautiful. Gets you right in the gut.

I can't believe no one knows Superfly anymore. It was HUGE when I was growing up, but again, that was when I lived in Kankakee, so things might have been skewed a bit toward it there.

I love this song. It's got this jazzy, funky relaxed vibe that makes me feel so good about myself. It really feels modern.

[youtube][/youtube]
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Curtis Mayfield, YES.

Sandy K
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Sandy, you and I seem to hit on a lot of the same good things, musically. Gosh I love the Oasis for that reason. I don't know too many people here who like what I like.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

February 19 - My Parent's 64th Wedding Anniversary. And both are
fit as a fiddle and ready for love. From 1949 (too early for 1950
hits):

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]