WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY?

Chit-chat, current events
jimimac71

Re: WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY?

Post by jimimac71 »

TikiSoo wrote: May 26th, 2023, 6:02 am Small things amuse small minds, I guess.

Speaking of Magazine St.....last time I was in town went to my favorite restaurant in the Quarter, Old Nawlins Cookery which was in a former bordello on Conte Street & couldn't find it. I can't believe they went out of business....do you know if they ever reopened after Katrina?

Since Katrina, the Quarter struck me as Disney-fied similarly to Times Square. Bah!
Or maybe big things amuse small minds.
The outside of Old Chicago Pizza in Petaluma, CA. was used in American Graffiti. It lives on.
In the film, Wolfman Jack calls Pinky's Pizza, and Petaluma still has a Pinky's Pizza.

So what's on the menu this Memorial Day Weekend?
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

TikiSoo wrote: May 26th, 2023, 6:02 am Small things amuse small minds, I guess.

Speaking of Magazine St.....last time I was in town went to my favorite restaurant in the Quarter, Old Nawlins Cookery which was in a former bordello on Conte Street & couldn't find it. I can't believe they went out of business....do you know if they ever reopened after Katrina?

Since Katrina, the Quarter struck me as Disney-fied similarly to Times Square. Bah!
Old Nawlins Cookery bit the dust before Katrina I’m pretty sure, but I have no head for time zones. Oh boy, you better believe it, New Orleans is not the city it once was, it is not the city that care forgot. The Quarter has always been about turning a buck, but it used to be done with style and pizzazz, with a dancing girl and a harmonica player. You went down to Country Flame on Iberville for the pork chops with red beans and yellow rice. Uptown is so saturated with rich heads and the rents and home prices have Skyrocketed. I mean, there are a few of us old timers around, but the police keep an eye on us in case we decide to act out, so we have to be careful. Don’t fall down is the Mantra.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

What Would You Like To Have For Dinner Today might be more interesting. I would like to have a T-bone steak, a tad more on the filet side but it doesn’t matter really and the T-bone can be less than a pound, that’s okay. Creamed potatoes is what i want to go with the steak, no doubt about that, and a chunk of French bread with butter.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thompson wrote: May 26th, 2023, 2:48 pm Old Nawlins Cookery bit the dust before Katrina I’m pretty sure, but I have no head for time zones. Oh boy, you better believe it, New Orleans is not the city it once was, it is not the city that care forgot.
Thanks for the info.
Aww too bad...the Cookery was my go to.
Then I discovered Zaterains rice mixes....they taste EXACTLY like what is served in restaurants. I'm convinced many touristy restaurants just serve Zaterains.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

The T-bone steak was only a pipe dream. It ended up with a can of Wolf Brand chili with beans. Lots of calories, which I guess is what it’s all about down on Main Street. I prefer oyster crackers with my chili but I settled for a small sleeve of Saltines.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Now that leaves me with a can of Armour corned beef hash, one Dinty Moore beef stew, a jumbo can of Sweet Sue’s chicken and dumplings, four cans of King Oscar two layer sardines, two cans of Van Camp’s pork and beans, and a lonesome Campbell’s tomato soup.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I just finished work and bringing over 2 turkey breasts for MrTiki to grill and I'm making Sfoglini macaroni salad with fresh cut kale & vegetables. He doesn't eat pasta very often because it's so heavy/fattening. But it's a holiday, so what. We're gonna die soon anyway, might as well eat what you want once in awhile. We'll probably have some dark, Belgian Monk beer too.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I went with the Sweet Sue chicken and dumplings. I’m not a huge fan of dumplings but a dumpling now and then hits the spot. Sweet Sue chicken is the best canned chicken in town, hands down.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

After a long and rather uneventful day I am making myself a Martini. Blue Sapphire, and a few drops of Vermouth. No olives for me, thank you.
I'll reheat some rice with sausage, and I'll have a glass of wine, but the star tonight is an invigorating Martini, very dry.

Happy Martini Day!!
When in doubt, have another one.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Arsan444 wrote: June 19th, 2023, 8:30 pm After a long and rather uneventful day I am making myself a Martini. Blue Sapphire, and a few drops of Vermouth. No olives for me, thank you.
I'll reheat some rice with sausage, and I'll have a glass of wine, but the star tonight is an invigorating Martini, very dry.

Happy Martini Day!!
Now we are talking. Is Blue Sapphire a gin? The definition of Martini is gin, at least it used to be. I’ll take an olive, wouldn’t mind one of those cocktail onions. A martini is mostly served neat, no? Cold but neat?
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I remember Boodles gin. Cool bottle. Gonna give gin a try again.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Had a big ol’ slab of barbecue pork ribs with coleslaw and French bread and tiny red potatoes.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

The gin is Bombay Sapphire; I call it Blue Sapphire because the bottle is blue. I also like Tanqueray; I've never tried Boodles.
I'm not sure what "neat" means. I prefer my Martini with chilled gin served in a chilled glass and just a few drops of dry Vermouth without the olive or pearl onion ( a Gibson) because the olive and onion can overwhelm the taste of the cocktail.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Arsan444 wrote: June 20th, 2023, 7:33 pm The gin is Bombay Sapphire; I call it Blue Sapphire because the bottle is blue. I also like Tanqueray; I've never tried Boodles.
I'm not sure what "neat" means. I prefer my Martini with chilled gin served in a chilled glass and just a few drops of dry Vermouth without the olive or pearl onion ( a Gibson) because the olive and onion can overwhelm the taste of the cocktail.
Bombay is my favorite gin, but not the Sapphire. Just regular Bombay. My father liked Tanqueray, but I don't. I do like Boodles. Beefeater is good in a Negroni, and I have friends who prefer it for martinis.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

Bombay is my favorite gin, but not the Sapphire. Just regular Bombay. My father liked Tanqueray, but I don't. I do like Boodles. Beefeater is good in a Negroni, and I have friends who prefer it for martinis.
[/quote]

I forgot about Beefeater; I like it too.