Movies for a sense of self

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

Re: Movies for a sense of self

Post by CineMaven »

Lucky, ChiO and Jackaaaaaay - you have confirmed to me what I always knew...movies can alter one's life. What a powerful medium movies are. I enjoyed reading the different ways movies have effected you, and what movies you never want to forget. Again, a great idea Masha!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#FF0000]Masha[/color][/u] wrote:"I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it." - Edgar Allan Poe
Wise man that Edgar Allan.

I have seen such all of my life. Vodka is the water of the gods but it does exact a heavy toll on many people in the forms of dementia or belochka. I am thankful that neither my mother nor either of my fathers succumbed to such.
Consider yourself very lucky they didn't. My mother was never a vodka drinker. I, on the other hand, have this every Friday night:

I am not so well versed in the doctrines of psychology to understand what these choices say of your personality except that you have very good taste.
I shall take that compliment and skip away like a child with a red balloon.

I thank you very much for posting this list.
:)

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Lakme -

My avatar is of Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne, the acting couple who performed in the original Design For Living with Noel Coward, and countless other great stage plays. They remained dedicated to theatre, and the avatar is from The Gaurdsman, their only collaboration on film. The avatar is a little misleading, as The Guardsman is a very funny comedy, something along the lines of Private Lives...in other words, spoofing romance and also making great fun of their own stage personas. The story is about a vain actor who thinks his wife's mind is wandering from their relationship. He decides to pretend to be a Russian guardsman, thinking he'll trap her into having an affair with him...thus proving that he was right all along.

But who is in the trap?

:D

The movie is being shown on TCM, Thursday, February 27th at 11 PM ET.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Masha wrote:
I suppose Absolut is adequate if you do not have access to the good stuff:

LOL!

HONEY PEPPER! Ack! But hey, for the sake of international relations, amnesia, and the love of classic film, I could try it. I'll PM you my address and you can send me a pint. That brand is not served around any place I know. Would I be drinking this straight or mixing it. ( My regular vodka is Grey Goose. )

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Four that define:

The Red Shoes (1948)--True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist.--Albert Einstein

Mon Oncle (1958)--Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.--Confucius

The Decalogue (1988)--Our life always expresses the result of our dominant thoughts. --Soren Kierkegaard

El Cid (1961)--Noble blood is an accident of fortune; noble actions characterize the great. --Goldoni

I'll ponder the other six and get back to you.
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Masha wrote:
Mr. Arkadin wrote:Four that define:
The Red Shoes (1948)--True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist.--Albert Einstein
Mon Oncle (1958)--Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.--Confucius
The Decalogue (1988)--Our life always expresses the result of our dominant thoughts. --Soren Kierkegaard
El Cid (1961)--Noble blood is an accident of fortune; noble actions characterize the great. --Goldoni
I find those to be very interesting selections. I wish that I knew sufficient psychology to be able to know what these say about you.
Not black and white and Well Red All Over!

:—)—
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]