New York City

Chit-chat, current events
Fossy

New York City

Post by Fossy »

I will be doing the tourist thing in NYC Sunday 12-Sunday 19 Oct. If anyone lives there I would love to meet up with you for a coffee or whatever.
Uncle Stevie

Re: New York City

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I am looking forward to your visit in October.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

My trip to U.S. is getting closer. It will be my first trip outside Australia. In fact I have never thought of leaving Australia until I saw the name Ann Blyth on the TCM Cruise list. I will make the most of my trip. I will fly out of Cairns on Friday morning at 00:35,( in U.S. west coast 6:35am to east coast 10:35am Thursday) stop over in Honolulu, before flying on to New York. From New York I will take a tour of the north east U.S., return to New York for a week of sightseeing before flying down to Orlando for the TCM cruise. Then back up to New Jersey to meet up with Uncle Stevie for a couple of days before flying home.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

What a marvelous trip you will have! Hope all your flights have great movies, lots of leg room and good food! Happy trails, Fossy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Jacqueline T. Lynch

Post by Jacqueline T. Lynch »

I just love this. Bless your heart, Fossy. Have a great trip.
Another Old Movie Blog -- [url]http://anotheroldmovieblog.blogspot.com[/url]
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

A Trip To America.

I was told that I must arrive at the airport three hours before Scheduled departure time. So I arrived long before time. I booked my case in, but from my backpack my toothpaste and sunscreen were seized.
The flight to Guam was uneventful and I slept most of the way. Changed planes at Guam for Honolulu. A spare day at Honolulu so I visited Pearl Harbour. At the submarine memorial I found that the first submarine to be sunk was USS Sealion, but how could this be? My Brother-in –law was on board Rakuyu Maru when it was torpedoed by USS Sealion in September 1944, and he was picked up four days later by USS Sealion. Eventually I found museum director Charles Hinman who has extensive knowledge of WW11 submarines, and we had a good chat.
I visited the Arizona Memorial, but not The Missouri. I believed that I did not have time (I had misread my schedule). I arrived at the airport in good time.

On to New York City. I had a seat next to a nice young lady, but it turned out that her sister was on the plane. Would the nice man(me) swap seats so the sisters would be together. So I was now seated next to Mrs. Elephant, on her right was Mr. Elephant. I was unable to put the armrest down because Mrs Elephant just would not fit. Everytime she dozed off her leg would roll on to mine, and of course everyone knows how thick an elephant`s leg is. Every time someone walked past on the way to the toilet I was bumped. When the drink trolley went past I was bumped.
A young lady across the aisle pointed out to me that I was bleeding from my left elbow and was dripping on to the floor. Probably a bump from a trolley. Another patch up job.
Despite a lack of sleep I still felt fresh on arrival in NYC. A day of sightseeing, and then I met up with the bus for my north eastern tour. A helicopter flight over Niagara Falls, and a boat trip under the falls filled the morning.

Then south to Virginia , Maryland and Washington DC. Gettysburg and Arlington were on the agenda here, before moving on to Philadelphia. I missed the bus and was lost, but I knew where the bus would be late a.m. the next day, and I was waiting when it arrived. A search party had been out looking for me and I had been listed as a missing person. A couple of the ladies were in tears, and the men all wanted to shake my hand.

Next came a week of sightseeing around New York City, getting lost frequently. I visited Liberty Island, but was disappointed not to be allowed inside the statue because I had not booked ahead. I cruised the Harbour, travelled extensively on the underground, visited an aircraft carrier which unfortunately did not open till 23 October.
I visited the Empire State Building and the “Sky Ride”, went to the 80th floor observation floor. I did not go higher because low cloud meant that visibility was poor. I went to the Guggenheim Museum and waited with the crowd to be admitted at 10:00 a.m.—Then found out that it was the wrong day, the museum being closed on Thursdays. I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. A bit like a second hand shop, only cleaner. I visited The American Indian Museum and the Jewish Museum.

I visited Central Park and walked most of the length, visited the Zoo and the 3D-4D theatre. I went to Coney Island. Everything was closed. I don`t think I could go on some of the rides there. I walked over the Brooklyn Bridge, visited Grant`s Tomb, Madame Tussaud`s (a great place to visit).

Next came the TCM cruise. On the first day I was met with a glass of champagne. Then came the deck party. Actually it was not a party, it was just an introduction to the Guest Stars, who were on stage, with the audience on deck. I went to a Shirley Jones interview, the theatre was packed.
At Castaway Cay I watched a movie before going ashore for a walk around. It was small, clean and pleasant. At 6:00pm there was an on stage interview with Ann Blyth. It clashed with my dinner booking, but cares about eating. The theatre was packed. At this point I realised that I was not going to meet her.

The next day I watched a couple of movies in the morning. At 1:45pm I was walking along the deck to see if I could get some lunch before the restaurant closed when who should be coming toward me but Ann Blyth and her three lovely daughters. Lunch was forgotten.

We visited Key West and I went ashore. It was a very pleasant place. It seemed that one in three shops sold beer. There is an hotel here where Ernest Hemingway used to drink. It is almost compulsory for visitors to have a drink here. I didn`t. There was to be a parade at 6:00pm, but as the boat left at 5:00 I missed it. I suspect it may have been a parade for kinky people. Topless women (mostly middle aged) were everywhere, with paint instead of bras. They could be divided into three catagories. Big saggy ones, big erect ones ( implants I suppose), and a couple of women with udders that would make a cow jealous. Bare bums were everywhere, and men (?) were walking around holding hands.
After the cruise I went to New York City again. This time I visited Bronx Zoo. However it was Monday and many places within the Zoo were closed. I suspect that a weekend is the right time to visit here.

Then a pleasant couple of days with Steve and Rita before returning home. It took me a week to recover from the flight home.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks for sharing your trip to America Fossy and I appreciate the details too.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Fossy is a great guy. We spent a couple of days together and it was a thrill to meet him. we exchanged a few DVDs and enjoyed each others company. we watched Grace Moore in "The King Steps Out" on my big 51" TV and enjoyed the time. My son made up a ten question test to see who new more about Deanna Durbin just for fun. Doug won. My only regret is that I wasn't well enough to sightsee with him in New York. But it was a great visit.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Fossy, your adventures to America were delightful and at times hilarious (mr & mrs Elephant).
It's amazing all the territory you covered and all the walking you did.
In any event I do hope you enjoyed most of the trip.
Good stuff.
Joe
Joseph Goodheart
Jacqueline T. Lynch

Well done on your quest to meet Ann Blyth in person! Did you speak to her? What did she discuss in her interview session?
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Yes, I met Ann and her lovely daughters. We sat down and had a chat for about 15 minutes. I will post a couple of pictures here if I can figure out how to.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Jacqueline T. Lynch

Fabulous. I hope you enlarge that photo to poster size and hang it in pride of place, Fossy. (Ann is lovely, and you are a handsome gent.) Love to hear more about your cruise.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Ann is definitely a lovely lady, but I am not too sure about the handsome gent.

I was told more than once that I was very brave to move around New York alone, especially on the subway, but at no time did I feel threatened. The only time I was a bit scared was at Key West, when I was challenged by one of the painted ladies. Fortunately I said the right thing, and the incident turned out to be quite comical. And there were the requests for eleven dollars. it must be a magical sum which men needed urgently to get to the hospital to see a daughter or wife.

Today I watched a movie which involved a search for a Gideon`s bible. It occurred to me that I had not seen a Gideon`s bible in my travels, despite being in seven hotels and the boat. I wonder if still exist.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Bravo, Fossy! Your travels are so much fun to read about, I'm so glad you have been able to see a part of our country.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard