The end of an era

Chit-chat, current events
markfp

The end of an era

Post by markfp »

Although I haven't seen a formal announcement, the word is circulating, from those in the know, that the soon to be released 2015 edition of LEONARD MALTIN'S MOVIE GUIDE will be the last one. :( I have many reference books, but his yearly MOVIE GUIDE and in more resent years his CLASSIC MOVIE GUIDE have always been may first choice when checking out a film that I wasn't familiar with. Like with any author or critic, I don't always agree with every one of his reviews, but I appreciate and respect the decades of hard work he and his staff have put into this yearly publication. It will be missed by many.
RedRiver

Re: The end of an era

Post by RedRiver »

I used to refer constantly to books of that nature. When I got internet access, I found them less vital. Plus, the more information they include, the smaller the print. They should sell them with magnifying glasses, at a higher price to cover the cost. Maybe they do!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I have one of his books from 2003. I have one by another author from 1988. The older has some movies not in the newer. They are both invaluable.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

markfp wrote:LEONARD MALTIN.... Like with any author or critic, I don't always agree with every one of his reviews
I, too, still depend on him for fast answers. My favorite review of his, and one he most certainly got right, was when he was doing oral reviews on Entertainment Tonight. In total:

"Transylvania 6-5000

Transylvania 6-5000

Transylvania 6-5000

Stinks!"
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
laffite

Post by laffite »

Gosh, I didn't even know of this. I guess i didn't read him much, ha. Recent sales fell perhaps due to the Net. Occasionally folks would criticize him and yes though annoying at times, no doubt he knew what he was doing. He more or less panned one of faves all time, La Nuit de Varennes, from 1983, an historical movie about the flight of King Louis XVI from Versailles. He called it "talky" among other things. Everyone calls it talky. My response is yes but what great talk! Overlong yes, but I love it so much the longer it lingers the better.. He is stuffy about Paisolini (sp) The Canterbury Tales the phraseology being, (approximate quote) "Well, some may call this a classic, but I call it nothing but a piece of garbage." He no doubt disapproved of the poop scenes. He was excellent in special sections like series movies, such as "Boston Blackie." Years ago I tried to determine the best pocket movie reference book and I examined a few of them. I seem to have had a negative view of Maltin's chances (maybe because he panned my favorite movie (hahhaha) and had a notion that he was toast from the beginning. I had a number of categories that each could get Feather-in-ithe-Cap points or ignominious Black Marks anti-points, If you will.. The end tally shows nine points for Maltin and the closest second had only four. He even beat out a reviewer named Steven H. Scheuer, who I idolized because he gave my fave movie four stars out of four and said things like, "flawless, a masterpiece" and several other exuberant compliments that soothed my heart. He published a movie reference book for 17 years and died in 2014. Not as popular as Lenny but pretty, pretty, pretty savvy. Maltin also published a book about the Stars. All the famous ones were covered and his word portraits with all the familiar characteristics set down on paper.and interesting and biographical notes, all of which simply great. Of Henry Fonda he had a magnificent opening paragraph ending with Fonda was just "real." Okay, so you have to read it. I don't have that book anymore but would sure recommend it. ---laffite
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Yes, Maltin’s taste was often more family friendly. I was never a big fan of him but recall him hosting cartoons and Disney fluff on TCM. I can’t imagine that guy sitting through the Canterbury Tales but it is not difficult to see why it would clash with his taste. In general, that film is often panned and it was made at a very depressing era of Pasolini’s life when Nanetto Davoli was engaged to be married leaving him forever. The film also rapidly cuts and can be confusing if you haven’t read the original work but still it’s a personal favorite.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Were all of the reviews in Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide written by Maltin? Or was he supported by a team of reviewers?

Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide Ending After 45 Years – Internet Kills Iconic Print Paperback
https://deadline.com/2014/08/r-i-p-leon ... rs-821849/
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: October 28th, 2022, 8:40 pm Were all of the reviews in Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide written by Maltin? Or was he supported by a team of reviewers?

Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide Ending After 45 Years – Internet Kills Iconic Print Paperback
https://deadline.com/2014/08/r-i-p-leon ... rs-821849/
That occurred to me once but I concluded that he wrote them all. If not, he probably scanned them for approval.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

As I recall, Bill Warren contributed reviews to Maltin's Guide.

Warren's bio on the Internet Movie Database confirms my recollection.
Last edited by EP Millstone on November 29th, 2022, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Maltin was helped by others in his guide. it was a team of about 10 people by the end.

I still use his guides to check on cast information and years and runtimes, and although it ended a few years back, it isn't too much difficulty since I really don't look up or watch many films made since the book's period ended in early 2014.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

CinemaInternational wrote: October 29th, 2022, 11:41 am Maltin was helped by others in his guide. it was a team of about 10 people by the end.

I still use his guides to check on cast information and years and runtimes, and although it ended a few years back, it isn't too much difficulty since I really don't look up or watch many films made since the book's period ended in early 2014.
I am looking at my 2008 edition of Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide. There are eight editors listed: Cathleen Anderson, Casey St. Charnez, Mike Clark, Ron Edelman, Spencer Green, Pete Hammond, Luke Sader, Michael Scheinfeld, and Bill Warren. I suspect that editors covered (or perhaps were assigned to) genres that interested and appealed to them (e.g., Science-Fiction maven Bill Warren).

I'd be astounded if Leonard Maltin wrote all of the reviews for the "more than 17,000 entries" in his guide.