Post by Masha »

The Collector (1965)

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Masha

Re: Atypical Movies

Post by Masha »

Dreams (1993).
It is Amalia Mordvinova as respectable young countess living in 1893.
She becomes troubled by dreams in which she is common guttersnipe living in 1993.
The most learned doctor of the era is unsure if she is mentally ill of if her dreams are prophecy.

[youtube][/youtube]
Masha

Post by Masha »

I feel: The Notorious Sophie Lang (1934) is very atypical movie of its time.

Sophie Lang is played by wonderful: Gertrude Michael. She is intelligent, urbane and adventurous lady jewel thief. There had been many suave gentlemen jewel thieves since early days of movies but she was first wholly-rounded lady in this profession.

Masha

Post by Masha »

I found: The Lounge People (1992) to be atypical even for surreal movies.

It is: Buck Henry and: Christine Ebersole as idle rich seeking meaning in their life. He decides to stage: Moby Dick to relieve boredom. Roy Dotrice is dutiful butler. Amanda Plummer and BD Wong give wonderful performances.

I am sorry to say that I can find not even trailer for this wonderful little movie.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Aelita (1924). I will risk spoiler in saying that at the end it is revealed that all events were a dream only. I risk saying that because it is not important to story. They had advantage then that none could call them copycat because they were first! :)

I find one aspect of this movie to be very atypical in that wardrobe of Martians has retained its charm and mystique. Most wardrobes from early science fiction movies look now to be grotesque and clunky. I believe that much of the wardrobe in this movie could be worn in Los Angeles and be accepted as within limits of eccentricity. I do not know how well it might be accepted among normal people but I am sure the reaction would be less than for wardrobe from nearly any other early science fiction movie.

[youtube][/youtube]
Masha

Post by Masha »

It feels nearly as if it is cheating to bring into this discussion a movie written and directed by: Edward D. Wood Jr. but I feel that: Glen or Glenda (1953) is so very atypical on so many levels that it warrants mention.

I find it difficult to speak of this movie because there are so many loose threads which would be good place to start but it is uncertain if any of them are truly relevant to the movie.

It may be best if I say only that it has Bela Lugosi, men in drag and Satan and that it does not have intelligent dialogue, coherent plot or exceptional performances.

[youtube][/youtube]
Masha

Post by Masha »

I feel that: any discussion of atypical movies would be shallow if it did not include: L'Age d'Or (1930). What should one expect from teaming of: Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dali? The very last adjective which one would apply is: "typical."

It was scandalous even in pre-code times because it challenged all social norms. It has sense of dark humor which is rarely rivaled.

I believe that it is very much atypical because no other filmmaker has ever been so foolish as to try to duplicate it!

[youtube][/youtube]
laffite

Post by laffite »

The Lighthouse (2018) An apprentice, Ephraim Winslow (played by Tim Pattinson) with no experience is descending the tender to help the veteran lighthouse keeper Thomas Wake (played by William Dafoe) for a four-week tour of duty. These are the only two speaking roles. After the drop off we look at the tender as it pulls away, to the cacophony of image and sound. Industrial-like metallic screech, synth music, menacing cruel wind, whee-ing sea gulls (a sea gull is a "character" in the film) and a palpable atmospheric pall that hangs over everything. If this is not sadistic, it is certainly sinister. And we see this through a perfectly square aspect ration and in black and white. Where: off the cost of New England. Time: 1890ca.

This is not horror, at least not per se, though it might seem so to some. I have no use for that genre and if this is horror, then is it a "happy" anomaly, for I like it very much. I have seen it for a third time over the last year and this time I got much more out of it although many IMDB commentaries dash off the idea, somewhat precipitously I think, that there is no plot and no meaning. I beg to differ though I have not yet discovered the secrets I look for. There are many cryptic movies that are totally beyond me, but this one has space around it, giving my middling brain a little room to bustle in.

Both of these roles I give tour de force status (both actors are absolutely beyond brilliant) as well as is the movie itself IMHO. It was mentioned that Dafoe may have created his crowning achievement and I would not be surprised. He comes off as a crusty old salt and often speaks with an archaic dialect and that works super well. Or perhaps just bad English. Traditional high school teachers (if we still have any) might pull their hair out. Dafoe is cantankerous and has a fine Lear-like monologue and in that manner speaking. There is a mythological element to the story and there is a magnificent shot of Dafoe pertaining to such.

I don't know Tim Pattinson at all. There apparently some question to his acting ability (in general and before this picture) though he did get a very good notice prior the this film. Here it appeared Pattinson would be a secondary role as he was so quiet at the beginning. No fear. He comes along like mad later on. It's wonderful to see these two fine actors slosh this out together. (They should get equal billing.) That's the word, literally sloshing through mire. The actors were so exhausted after the day's shoot they retired to their own stations and tried to recuperate for the next day. The real life filming location equates to the film's setting. And they were isolated on this rock for the whole shoot. It wasn't easy.

There are many themes and many symbolic elements that cannot be discussed without spoilers. That's my getaway. But it would be fun to delve into this further. Please do so.

I include under the banner of ATYPICAL FILM due to its appeal to the very few and it's tour-de-force elements. And it's ambition beyond the norm. But it is not a mindless leap to shock. This is legitimate Art film.
//
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

laffite wrote: December 31st, 2022, 12:47 am The Lighthouse
That's Robert Pattinson, not Tim. He started out in a Harry Potter movie, then became a big teen heartthrob thanks to the Twilight films, a series of toothless supernatural teen romances in which Pattinson played a vampire.

He's been on a quest to prove he's more of an actor than people gave him credit for, to mixed results, although the general consensus is that he's a major talent now. His turns in Cosmopolis(2012), The Rover(2014), Good Time(2017), and Tenet(2020) have all garnered widespread acclaim, as did The Lighthouse. He starred in the title role of this year's The Batman, and will likely play the role one more time, at least.

The Lighthouse was the second film from writer/director Robert Eggers, following The Witch(2015),and followed by The Northman(2022). I highly recommend both of those, as well. His next is said to be a remake of Nosferatu.
Watching until the end.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LawrenceA wrote: December 31st, 2022, 1:53 am
laffite wrote: December 31st, 2022, 12:47 am The Lighthouse
That's Robert Pattinson, not Tim. He started out in a Harry Potter movie, then became a big teen heartthrob thanks to the Twilight films, a series of toothless supernatural teen romances in which Pattinson played a vampire.

He's been on a quest to prove he's more of an actor than people gave him credit for, to mixed results, although the general consensus is that he's a major talent now. His turns in Cosmopolis(2012), The Rover(2014), Good Time(2017), and Tenet(2020) have all garnered widespread acclaim, as did The Lighthouse. He starred in the title role of this year's The Batman, and will likely play the role one more time, at least.

The Lighthouse was the second film from writer/director Robert Eggers, following The Witch(2015),and followed by The Northman(2022). I highly recommend both of those, as well. His next is said to be a remake of Nosferatu.
Thanks for the background.

Did you like The Lighthouse? Comments? My commentary may seem a bit threadbare. I usually don't tell the story or reveal possible spoilers, yet there was more than I might have added. I had trouble with the post. Getting into details about some of back and forth between the principals would be simply spoilers. Movies should be tabula rasa Like going to the moviehouse back when virtually nothing or very little was available to know. If I think a movie is really bad I would probably be more forthcoming about details because I am not recommending the movie. If I like the film I try to dance around the edges because I am trying to get readers to try it out and without spilling the beans. To coin a phrase used in the film, haha.

//
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

laffite wrote: December 31st, 2022, 2:50 am
Did you like The Lighthouse? Comments? My commentary may seem a bit threadbare. I usually don't tell the story or reveal possible spoilers, yet there was more than I might have added. I had trouble with the post. Getting into details about some of back and forth between the principals would be simply spoilers. Movies should be tabula rasa Like going to the moviehouse back when virtually nothing or very little was available to know. If I think a movie is really bad I would probably be more forthcoming about details because I am not recommending the movie. If I like the film I try to dance around the edges because I am trying to get readers to try it out and without spilling the beans. To coin a phrase used in the film, haha.
I liked it, but was a bit disappointed on first viewing. I really liked The Witch, so I was looking forward to The Lighthouse, despite the presence of Pattinson, who I'm not thrilled with usually. I'm not sure what I expected, but I was left underwhelmed. When I watched it again, I liked it a lot more. Dafoe is terrific, and the B&W cinematography is very good.

All three of the director's films thus far fit into this thread's topic, as they all subvert the surface genre norms. They're not for everyone, but I love them.
Watching until the end.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

My Brief List of Atypical Movies

Freaks

The Saragossa Manuscript (1965)

Forbidden Zone (1980)

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Stevomachino

Post by Stevomachino »

LawrenceA wrote: December 31st, 2022, 1:53 am
I second the recommendation for Eggers' other films, and agree that they definitely belong in this thread. I was particularly captivated by The VVitch (2015). I've really come to like it's star, Anya Taylor-Joy, a lot. She also appears in The Northman (2022), and is very good in the Netflix mini series The Queen's Gambit (2020).
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Masha wrote: March 26th, 2015, 11:28 pm Hausu (1977) is comedy horror fantasy which belies common genre descriptions. Horrors are very visceral as is most Japanese horror but it transcends simple descriptions.
I agree that HAUSU defies easy description.
I really enjoy this movie.

Here are some of my favorite moments.

Last edited by HoldenIsHere on January 3rd, 2023, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevomachino

Post by Stevomachino »

HoldenIsHere wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 10:28 pm
Masha wrote: March 26th, 2015, 11:28 pm Hausu (1977) is comedy horror fantasy which belies common genre descriptions. Horrors are very visceral as is most Japanese horror but it transcends simple descriptions.
I agree that HAUSU defies easy description.
I really enjoy this movie.
Hausu (1977) might be the most perfect choice for this topic. It's creative, unique, beautiful, has just the right blend of creepiness and campiness, and is (quite literally) completely bananas. I love every minute of it!

Hausu - bananas.jpg
Hausu - bananas.jpg (20.58 KiB) Viewed 1368 times