SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
User avatar
Andree
Posts: 639
Joined: January 21st, 2023, 4:24 pm
Location: Balbec

Re: SPORTS

Post by Andree »

America's team got creamed. Not only did the Cowboys lose, they lost big, though the Green Bay
defense got a little sloppy in the fourth quarter. The only thing missing was a shot of Jerry Jones
at the end of the game having a meltdown. Maybe next year..... :smiley_sick:
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
User avatar
jamesjazzguitar
Posts: 758
Joined: November 14th, 2022, 2:43 pm

Re: SPORTS

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

While I wasn't surprised the Cowboys melted down, I am surprised the Philly Eagles just gave up. Hurts may have been more injured than the team let on, but that doesn't explain the defense or the lack of any running game. It will be interesting to see if there is a coaching change. Eagles' ownership doesn't hold on to players or coaches that underperform.
User avatar
laffite
Posts: 1833
Joined: October 27th, 2022, 10:43 pm

Re: SPORTS

Post by laffite »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 16th, 2024, 1:47 pm While I wasn't surprised the Cowboys melted down, I am surprised the Philly Eagles just gave up. Hurts may have been more injured than the team let on, but that doesn't explain the defense or the lack of any running game. It will be interesting to see if there is a coaching change. Eagles' ownership doesn't hold on to players or coaches that underperform.
Point taken, but the Eagles were 1-5 their last five games of the regular season, so there has been something wrong for a long time.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
User avatar
jamesjazzguitar
Posts: 758
Joined: November 14th, 2022, 2:43 pm

Re: SPORTS

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Andree wrote: January 15th, 2024, 12:10 am America's team got creamed. Not only did the Cowboys lose, they lost big, though the Green Bay
defense got a little sloppy in the fourth quarter. The only thing missing was a shot of Jerry Jones
at the end of the game having a meltdown. Maybe next year..... :smiley_sick:
Unrelated to sports did you know that Winston Churchill's wartime false teeth are up for sale?

I know how much you love the guy, and the price should only be around 10K (US).
User avatar
Andree
Posts: 639
Joined: January 21st, 2023, 4:24 pm
Location: Balbec

Re: SPORTS

Post by Andree »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 19th, 2024, 2:50 pm
Unrelated to sports did you know that Winston Churchill's wartime false teeth are up for sale?

I know how much you love the guy, and the price should only be around 10K (US).
Didn't know that. You have to be a fanatic to pay for a celebrity's false teeth.
While alive Churchswill was pretty much up for sale himself. He was quite
corrupt, but it was corruption that was accepted at the time. Today it would
be a big negative.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 2325
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: SPORTS

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: January 19th, 2024, 5:06 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 19th, 2024, 2:50 pm
Unrelated to sports did you know that Winston Churchill's wartime false teeth are up for sale?

I know how much you love the guy, and the price should only be around 10K (US).
Didn't know that. You have to be a fanatic to pay for a celebrity's false teeth.
While alive Churchswill was pretty much up for sale himself. He was quite
corrupt, but it was corruption that was accepted at the time. Today it would
be a big negative.
Ahem...I assume you meant here, "today" on the OTHER side of the pond, right Andree?!!! ;)

And 'cause and as I'm SURE you know, there's a certain guy over HERE on THIS side of the pond who's STILL somehow riding pretty darn hign in the polls! Uh-huh, and 'cause SOMEHOW he's gotten a WHOLE lot of people on THIS side of the pond believin' him when he tells 'em that everyone ELSE is "corrupt" but HIM!!! LOL

(...ah, but maybe we shouldn't continue on with this subject here, huh...yep, maybe should get back to the topic of "Sports" here, huh...and so, who do you like in this weekend's NFL playoff games?)
User avatar
jamesjazzguitar
Posts: 758
Joined: November 14th, 2022, 2:43 pm

Re: SPORTS

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: January 19th, 2024, 9:55 pm
Andree wrote: January 19th, 2024, 5:06 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 19th, 2024, 2:50 pm
Unrelated to sports did you know that Winston Churchill's wartime false teeth are up for sale?

I know how much you love the guy, and the price should only be around 10K (US).
Didn't know that. You have to be a fanatic to pay for a celebrity's false teeth.
While alive Churchswill was pretty much up for sale himself. He was quite
corrupt, but it was corruption that was accepted at the time. Today it would
be a big negative.
Ahem...I assume you meant here, "today" on the OTHER side of the pond, right Andree?!!! ;)

And 'cause and as I'm SURE you know, there's a certain guy over HERE on THIS side of the pond who's STILL somehow riding pretty darn hign in the polls! Uh-huh, and 'cause SOMEHOW he's gotten a WHOLE lot of people on THIS side of the pond believin' him when he tells 'em that everyone ELSE is "corrupt" but HIM!!! LOL

(...ah, but maybe we shouldn't continue on with this subject here, huh...yep, maybe should get back to the topic of "Sports" here, huh...and so, who do you like in this weekend's NFL playoff games?)
As for this weekend NFL games, I'm picking: 49ers, Ravens, Lions and Bills.

PS: I just realized I picked all of the home team, as well as very vanilla picks, but I don't see upsets like we saw last week. That is because these teams have much better coaching staff then losers like Mike McCarthy.
User avatar
laffite
Posts: 1833
Joined: October 27th, 2022, 10:43 pm

Re: SPORTS

Post by laffite »

The first round bye teams look like sure winners and the fun therefore might be looking at the spreads. Would you bet on the underdogs if you got enough points?
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
User avatar
Andree
Posts: 639
Joined: January 21st, 2023, 4:24 pm
Location: Balbec

Re: SPORTS

Post by Andree »

Dargo wrote: January 19th, 2024, 9:55 pm

Ahem...I assume you meant here, "today" on the OTHER side of the pond, right Andree?!!! ;)

And 'cause and as I'm SURE you know, there's a certain guy over HERE on THIS side of the pond who's STILL somehow riding pretty darn hign in the polls! Uh-huh, and 'cause SOMEHOW he's gotten a WHOLE lot of people on THIS side of the pond believin' him when he tells 'em that everyone ELSE is "corrupt" but HIM!!! LOL

(...ah, but maybe we shouldn't continue on with this subject here, huh...yep, maybe should get back to the topic of "Sports" here, huh...and so, who do you like in this weekend's NFL playoff games?)
Winny vs. Whiny. Back in the day things were pretty loosey goosey when it came to things like
money changing hands. And the more legal trouble the certain guy gets into, the more popular
he is in the GOP. Texans-Ravens is pretty good so far, tied 10-10 at halftime. I'll just say whom
I would like to see win--Detroit and SF. The other two games have teams I don't really care about.
Our high today was 25 degrees. Glad I don't have to be outside playing football. Brrrrr.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
User avatar
jamesjazzguitar
Posts: 758
Joined: November 14th, 2022, 2:43 pm

Re: SPORTS

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

laffite wrote: January 20th, 2024, 5:06 pm The first round bye teams look like sure winners and the fun therefore might be looking at the spreads. Would you bet on the underdogs if you got enough points?
I only bet on an underdog if I get what I believe is enough of a point spread to win the bet. Doing anything else would be foolish.
User avatar
jamesjazzguitar
Posts: 758
Joined: November 14th, 2022, 2:43 pm

Re: SPORTS

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Andree wrote: January 20th, 2024, 6:10 pm
Dargo wrote: January 19th, 2024, 9:55 pm

Ahem...I assume you meant here, "today" on the OTHER side of the pond, right Andree?!!! ;)

And 'cause and as I'm SURE you know, there's a certain guy over HERE on THIS side of the pond who's STILL somehow riding pretty darn hign in the polls! Uh-huh, and 'cause SOMEHOW he's gotten a WHOLE lot of people on THIS side of the pond believin' him when he tells 'em that everyone ELSE is "corrupt" but HIM!!! LOL

(...ah, but maybe we shouldn't continue on with this subject here, huh...yep, maybe should get back to the topic of "Sports" here, huh...and so, who do you like in this weekend's NFL playoff games?)
Winny vs. Whiny. Back in the day things were pretty loosey goosey when it came to things like
money changing hands. And the more legal trouble the certain guy gets into, the more popular
he is in the GOP. Texans-Ravens is pretty good so far, tied 10-10 at halftime. I'll just say whom
I would like to see win--Detroit and SF. The other two games have teams I don't really care about.
Our high today was 25 degrees. Glad I don't have to be outside playing football. Brrrrr.
The Raven offensive coach is a moron. In the first half his playing calling sucked! Even the announcers said that he made adjustments and that lead to them scoring on their first procession in the second half. But these announcers are way too wimpy\kind. I like ones that are willing to call out bozos.
User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 2325
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: SPORTS

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: January 20th, 2024, 6:10 pm
...Our high today was 25 degrees. Glad I don't have to be outside playing football. Brrrrr.
Yeah, well, I guess we all can't be lucky enough to live in a location such as the higher elevations of Arizona, specifically beautiful and picturesque Sedona, and where I played 3 sets of tennis this morning in high-50 degree weather.

Btw, by the end of the first set and after getting warmed up, it felt like it was at least 70 degrees.

(...NOT that I'm rubbing this in here, mind you...okay okay, maybe a LITTLE bit, I am!) LOL
User avatar
Andree
Posts: 639
Joined: January 21st, 2023, 4:24 pm
Location: Balbec

Re: SPORTS

Post by Andree »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 20th, 2024, 6:36 pm
The Raven offensive coach is a moron. In the first half his playing calling sucked! Even the announcers said that he made adjustments and that lead to them scoring on their first procession in the second half. But these announcers are way too wimpy\kind. I like ones that are willing to call out bozos.
It also looked like the Texans D was tightening up and putting more pressure on Jackson at the end
of the first half, but it sure didn't carry over. They are getting run over now. Maybe some of the
announcers play it safe in their own self interest. Turn out the lights....
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 2325
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: SPORTS

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: January 20th, 2024, 7:20 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 20th, 2024, 6:36 pm
The Raven offensive coach is a moron. In the first half his playing calling sucked! Even the announcers said that he made adjustments and that lead to them scoring on their first procession in the second half. But these announcers are way too wimpy\kind. I like ones that are willing to call out bozos.
It also looked like the Texans D was tightening up and putting more pressure on Jackson at the end
of the first half, but it sure didn't carry over. They are getting run over now. Maybe some of the
announcers play it safe in their own self interest. Turn out the lights....
Yep, I had a feeling that at the end of the first half the Texans' play could at best be viewed as a "moral victory" with that tie score, but that they'd probably be blown out during the second half by the Ravens.
User avatar
Andree
Posts: 639
Joined: January 21st, 2023, 4:24 pm
Location: Balbec

Re: SPORTS

Post by Andree »

Dargo wrote: January 20th, 2024, 7:10 pm

Yeah, well, I guess we all can't be lucky enough to live in a location such as the higher elevations of Arizona, specifically beautiful and picturesque Sedona, and where I played 3 sets of tennis this morning in high-50 degree weather.

Btw, by the end of the first set and after getting warmed up, it felt like it was at least 70 degrees.

(...NOT that I'm rubbing this in here, mind you...okay okay, maybe a LITTLE bit, I am!) LOL
Incoming. I was ready, for the most part. We also don't have that New Age aura/marketing ploy thing
going, just moonshine. The only good part is that it is one of those one day deals where it is expected
to warm up quite a bit over the next several days, thank goodness. The fireplace will be getting a
workout tonight. Feed me, feed me. :)
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Post Reply