SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
Thompson

Re: SPORTS

Post by Thompson »

Max Scherzer got tossed from the game today for a foreign substance somewhere on his body or glove, don’t know the details. I would think, if you were a pitcher and wanted to cheat with foreign substances you would cut your hair short and put the foreign substance in your hair. Then, you can feign fatigue and forehead sweat so you take off your cap and do that head rub thing. Nobody should get suspicious if your glove is clean.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

No, come to find out it’s just rosin and sweat — or is it? When you mix rosin with suntan lotion it gets plenty sticky and improves the grip immensely.
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

04/22/2007
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

New York sports fans have a lot to cheer about with both the Rangers and the Knicks in the playoffs.

Rangers lead the NJ Devils 2-1 in their series and the Knicks ahead of the Cleveland Cavaliers 2-1 in theirs.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

More talk about the “sticky” substance on ESPN game Mets at Giants. Apparently every pitcher is cheating. And that is the reason Ty Cobb slid into second with his spikes high in the air to take the guy OUT. Tit for tat.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Yankees aren’t allowed to sport beards? Looks like they all get to have a real barber shave before the game. Haven’t spotted nary a whisker or a 5 o’clock shadow and it’s a quarter past nine.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Thompson wrote: April 27th, 2023, 9:13 pm Yankees aren’t allowed to sport beards? Looks like they all get to have a real barber shave before the game. Haven’t spotted nary a whisker or a 5 o’clock shadow and it’s a quarter past nine.

That's true, when Johnny Damon was traded from the Red Sox to the Yankees, he got a shave and a haircut, here are before and after photos-

GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith
laffite

Post by laffite »

I am perverse enough to want to be somewhat rooting for Florida because as a passionless spectator I always love the underdog. And yet, I have enough compassion to almost mourn the Bruins should they perchance lose. As a fan I am In a sort of middle ground, schizophrenic, not knowing what the hell I want, bur wanting it badly, whatever the muck it is. I think I might be a bit disturbed if Boston loses. If Florida wins I will be shocked and not know what to think. If the world makes any sense, Boston will prevail and the world well be saved. if they lose, we are living in the Twilight Zone and at the perpetual mercy of Rod Serling. We will be forever saying, what! What was that last signpost behind?

Florida leads 1-0 after the first period. If they win this game and the series, will this be the biggest upset in NHL history???!!!!!
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
laffite

Post by laffite »

FLORIDA-4 BOSTON-3

In Overtime

Like I asked, the biggest upset in NHL history?

This is not only this one game, Florida won FOUR out of Seven. They were not picked to win even one.
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

The Boston Bruins had a great regular season for the history books. Unfortunately, they will mostly be remembered for the big choke in game 7 of the playoffs being eliminated from competition. Still, it was a great game the Panthers won with authority.

Tonight game 7 New York Rangers @ New Jersey Devils.

G.C.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

The Rangers looked tired and lethargic and they could not match the Devil's speed and skill. Come up short again. Two years in a row.
G.C.
D. W. Griffith
laffite

Post by laffite »

In his opening to this evenings game between Seattle and Dallas, announcer Steve Levy referred to yesterday's upset of Boston by Florida as "...let's face it, the biggest upset in NHL history." This apparently bestirred the station's statisticians to actually look that up and later we got the following report, to wit :

In 1982, The Los Angeles Kings were actually 48 points behind (I believe Edmonton) in regular seasons points, 5 more than the deficit between Florida and Boston in this past regular season. This indicates then that the Kings are then the heroes of that distinguished accomplishment as the biggest upset ever.

BUT WAIT...

The 1982 Series was only best of five games. The 2023 series was best of seven. It is a lot easier to pull an upset in the short series. Might the Kings have won in seven? This is not to be presumed. Therefore we can never know. In view of this, I believe the Florida's upset of Boston just this day or two ago accomplished, is a mightier feat with its long series, than the Kings' accomplishment in 1982 with its shorter series.

The Florida Panthers gets the honor.

Imho
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

05/08/2023

Don January, Who Won the 1967 P.G.A. Title, Is Dead at 93

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/07/obit ... =url-share

NHL
https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/scoreboard/
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith