SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
Detective Jim McLeod

Re: SPORTS

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

It's a good year for NY sports teams. The NY Rangers are on to the next round of Stanley Cup Playoffs in hockey.

In basketball, the NY Knicks could move on if they beat the Indiana Pacers on Sunday.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Thompson wrote: May 18th, 2024, 1:57 am
jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 24th, 2023, 10:02 am Well at least the cheating Houston Astros are out.

If AZ beats Philly in game 7, that would be something.

James Jazz Guitar. How you making out man? I was listening to some Jimi Hendrix the other day, and I thought about you. Let’s see, yeah the song was Hey Joe. He wrote that song, no?
Hendrix did not write the song: "The authorship of the song has been contested, and different recordings have credited its writing to either Billy Roberts or Dino Valenti, or have listed it as a traditional song. "Hey Joe" was registered for copyright in the US in 1962 by Billy Roberts, a California-based folk musician."

The song has a simple chord progression since each chord is a 5th away: C, G, D, A, E. Thus cycle of 5th, makes it a cool song to solo over endlessly!
jamesjazzguitar

Thompson wrote: May 18th, 2024, 11:18 am Oh wait, I remember now. Some folks are sticklers for staying on topic. Jimi and Willy are not really sports figures, but I have a feeling the two wouldn’t mind a bit if they were made sport of.
Well my L.A. Dodgers are playing good but their travel schedule is messed up. I.e. they play a few home games than have to go back east for a few games, then to the mid-west for a few more than back east, then back west. Oh, well, that is just how it is now with interleague play; more back and forth travel.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I wouldn’t worry too much Thompson. This isn’t the old forum.
Moderation is moderate.
Up here in Northern California, we have a new baseball team in Oakland.
Not MLB. Don’t know what it’s called.
We also have a new WNBA team.
The is the final season for the A’s in Oakland.
Then Sacramento until they can go to Las Vegas.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
laffite

Post by laffite »

The Shining Hour (1938)
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

laffite

Post by laffite »

Bill Walton (1952-1973)
RIP
The Shining Hour (1938)
jamesjazzguitar

laffite wrote: Yesterday, 5:44 pm Image
Bill Walton (1952-1973)
RIP
Yea, Walton will be missed.

I met Walton once. It was my first concert; A Grateful Dead one at UCLA's Pauley Pavillion back in the early 70s. My other bro and his friends took me. We had good seats, but I complained to my bro that this big guy was standing in the walkway, blocking my view. The guys told me to go up to the guy and tell him to move. I approach the guy and ask him to move, and he was very nice, apologized, and moved to the side. I get back to my seat and the guys are all laughing at me. "hey, you dummy, didn't you know that this was Bill Walton, center for the UCLA Bruins?". (I didn't, since I didn't follow sports when I was a teenager).

Just a few years ago, I was with my wife, and Bill was broadcasting for the Pac 12 Network, and he mentioned this concert since it was the only time the Dead played at Pauley (and Bill was a livelong Deadhead). I tell my wife; Hey, Bill is talking about that night I told you about. Of course, Bill didn't mention the young punk (me), that asked him to get out of his way!
laffite

Post by laffite »

I worked for a Italian restaurant for awhile and he would come to the lot and park and then dine a Arriverderci Ristorante. He had with him who I took was his girlfriend, a cute pint-sized Asian girl. The owner asked me who he was because he would invariably have followers and they discussed bit pow wow stuff. The owner wondered who the hell was this giant of a man who held these "meetings." He was old country and knew nothing of American sports. I cut to the chase and I told him that the big guy was strictly VIP. He was often seen on his bicycle on my street and it was a wonder to see him able to do that considering the grave problems he had with his ankles. He was very cordial.
The Shining Hour (1938)
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: Yesterday, 6:22 pm
laffite wrote: Yesterday, 5:44 pm Image
Bill Walton (1952-1973)
RIP
Yea, Walton will be missed.

I met Walton once. It was my first concert; A Grateful Dead one at UCLA's Pauley Pavillion back in the early 70s. My other bro and his friends took me. We had good seats, but I complained to my bro that this big guy was standing in the walkway, blocking my view. The guys told me to go up to the guy and tell him to move. I approach the guy and ask him to move, and he was very nice, apologized, and moved to the side. I get back to my seat and the guys are all laughing at me. "hey, you dummy, didn't you know that this was Bill Walton, center for the UCLA Bruins?". (I didn't, since I didn't follow sports when I was a teenager).

Just a few years ago, I was with my wife, and Bill was broadcasting for the Pac 12 Network, and he mentioned this concert since it was the only time the Dead played at Pauley (and Bill was a livelong Deadhead). I tell my wife; Hey, Bill is talking about that night I told you about. Of course, Bill didn't mention the young punk (me), that asked him to get out of his way!
jamesjazzguitar, your awesome encounter with Bill Walton reminded me of the Grateful Dead's music wafting through the air as a growing-stronger Bruce Jenner was completing his second day of a decathlon victory at the UC Santa Barbara campus fifty years ago just this month: