SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
Masha

Re: SPORTS

Post by Masha »

Are any of you familiar with: Australian Rules Football?

It is the only team sport which I care to watch. It seems to be a mixture of: Soccer, American Football and Assault with intent to inflict Grievous Bodily Harm. Activity is constant. They do not wear helmets nor padding. Tackles are as hard and fast as any in the MMA.

I am sorry to say that it can only very infrequently be found on any free streaming channels.

The ever-so-proper men in white suits who indicate the scoring are precious beyond belief.

Last edited by Masha on February 12th, 2023, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: February 12th, 2023, 11:56 am
Yep, I ran across an internet article just the other day in which Lawrence Taylor used this very same observation in order to express his opinion that he feels Joe Montana is still the GOAT QB and not Tom Brady.

Brady won 7 Super Bowls but lost 3.

Montana won 4 and no losses, he is the GOAT
And, Joe Montana was the only QB that I ever saw play an ENTIRE game where he delivered the ball to his receivers right on target and with the perfect amount touch required on each of these passes so that his receivers could easily catch them.

(...can't remember which particular game that was, but I sure remember it, none the less)
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Lousy call. Puts a negative footnote on the game.

G.C.
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

GaryCooper wrote: February 13th, 2023, 10:13 am

G.C.
Yep, I agree, as it was so inconsequential and done within 5 yards of the line-of-scrimmage, but also the ball was overthrown by at least five yards from where a totally untouched receiver could have caught it otherwise.

(...btw...the Chiefs' receiver who purposely slid down one yard short of the end zone with 1:20 left in the game and instead of running in for the score, should get high credit for his smarts, as this move would then not allow the Eagles offense to have any chance at tying up the score...I don't feel that I've heard enough praise for this coming from the football-loving world...just sayin')
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: February 14th, 2023, 6:37 pm
GaryCooper wrote: February 13th, 2023, 10:13 am

G.C.
Yep, I agree, as it was so inconsequential and done within 5 yards of the line-of-scrimmage, but also the ball was overthrown by at least five yards from where a totally untouched receiver could have caught it otherwise.

(...btw...the Chiefs' receiver who purposely slid down one yard short of the end zone with 1:20 left in the game and instead of running in for the score, should get high credit for his smarts, as this move would then not allow the Eagles offense to have any chance at tying up the score...I don't feel that I've heard enough praise for this coming from the football-loving world...just sayin')
I'm sure the running backs or anyone that were to get the ball were briefed on that in the huddle.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: February 14th, 2023, 7:34 pm
Dargo wrote: February 14th, 2023, 6:37 pm

I'm sure the running backs or anyone that were to get the ball were briefed on that in the huddle.
Yeah, you're probably right, laffite. Still though, a very smart play.

(...can't tell you how many times I've been watching a tie or very close score game during the closing minutes and I begin yelling at the TV to the team's defense that's about to have short and easily made and almost automatic last second winning field goal kicked against them, "LET 'EM SCORE! LET 'EM HAVE THE TOUCHDOWN!", because of course there would be no time left for that team's offense to then have the opportunity to try and come back to tie and/or win the game otherwise...in regulation time and not in OT, of course)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Sandy Koufax attending a World Series game last year
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Nice seeing a photo of Sandy without his elbow in a bucket of ice water. :D
Sepiatone
laffite

Post by laffite »

Sepiatone wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 1:34 pm Nice seeing a photo of Sandy without his elbow in a bucket of ice water. :D
Sepiatone
As Dizzy Dean would say back there in his broadcasting days, he was a pretty fair country pitcher for a guy with an elbow in a bucket.

:)
laffite

Post by laffite »

ANDRE GOES BALLISTIC

GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Joseph Paul DiMaggio (November 25, 1914 – March 8, 1999)
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

March 8, 1971
D. W. Griffith
laffite

Post by laffite »

I remember this, but WOW anyway. Maybe Ali's worst round in his career. That wiry Frazier, why was he so hapless against Foreman? Boxing is a clash styles ...
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: March 9th, 2023, 7:21 pm I remember this, but WOW anyway. Maybe Ali's worst round in his career. That wiry Frazier, why was he so hapless against Foreman? Boxing is a clash styles ...
I'll tell you how, lafite.

I still remember vividly during the Frazier-Foreman fights how the much bigger Foreman with a much longer reach would push Frazier away from him every time he attempted to get under Foreman's chin and from where Frazier always preferred to throw his punches.

Foreman had a powerful punch if he connected with his opponent and which was on display during his fights against Frazier, however he never had that much stamina after the fifth or so round.

(...and something Ali would of course recognize and take advantage of with his "rope-a-dope' tactic against Foreman and by allowing Foreman to punch himself out during their fight's earlier rounds and when Ali would tie Foreman up while Ali leaned on the ropes)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: March 10th, 2023, 1:24 pm
laffite wrote: March 9th, 2023, 7:21 pm I remember this, but WOW anyway. Maybe Ali's worst round in his career. That wiry Frazier, why was he so hapless against Foreman? Boxing is a clash styles ...
I'll tell you how, lafite.

I still remember vividly during the Frazier-Foreman fights how the much bigger Foreman with a much longer reach would push Frazier away from him every time he attempted to get under Foreman's chin and from where Frazier always preferred to throw his punches.

Foreman had a powerful punch if he connected with his opponent and which was on display during his fights against Frazier, however he never had that much stamina after the fifth or so round.

(...and something Ali would of course recognize and take advantage of with his "rope-a-dope' tactic against Foreman and by allowing Foreman to punch himself out during their fight's earlier rounds and when Ali would tie Foreman up while Ali leaned on the ropes)
Thanks Dargo, I get that. My exclamation was rhetorical. Yeah, Foreman could not box, his mode of attack consists was just to push the opponent aside and go in swinging. And he could take a punch. Frazier could not handle this approach. Frazier liked conventional tussles where he could bob and weave. Amazing he didn't learn anything from the first Foreman fight. Ali was clever and knew what to do with Foreman to which you allude. Where is TomJW, he is very knowledgeable on this subject. Thanks, Dargo.