Classical Music

Chit-chat, current events
Sepiatone

Re: Classical Music

Post by Sepiatone »

I certainly have no complaints about the soloists vocals, Bass; Tenor; Soprano and Mezzo soprano. Better than some on a few of the several recordings of the 9th I have. And have heard live. Nor can I comment negatively about the orchestra. Would like to hear the complete symphony done there.

Sepiatone
laffite

Post by laffite »

I was there for the visuals but this was an extraordinary performance as well. I wept twice or so. and like you, Sep, I have attended upon many a performance. I have never seen a live performance of this symphony (I don't believe.) No matter, I have become unimpressed with live performances in our days.** I can run the symphony in my head from beginning to end and I loved the way this one went. The soloist were brilliant, I love that soprano bringing it home. Those solo parts are not easy. That ensemble solo sequence where all were sing with virtually no orchestral was thrilling. The rows and rows of choir members is a sight to behold and I was very moved. The choral sequence in the center of the movement is surpassing beautiful and it was splendid here. Even the conductor's face and body movements were moving and I usually like it best when the conductor demures from such ostentation. But he was totally sincere and with nary a showboating. I watched it a second time and it won't be the last.

**The last time I attended a live symphony concert was about five years ago, A Mahler Third with the San Diego Symphony. I was HORRIFIED that the concert was miked. This was an indoor concert hall. I have never heard of such a thing. I would have left immediately and demanded my money back but I was with a friend and I didn't want to spoil the outing. I paid $87 for the seat with the players right there in front of me and here I am getting the music from some massive loudspeaker from the side and above. Hello? If I wanted an experience like that I might stay at home at browse youtube. My friend, an experienced music listener and certainly more knowledgeable that myself, did not share my outrage. He seemed to think well the orchestra is still right in front of you. I was thunderstruck with such rot. They sell you a ticket and then give you the music secondhand. I wrote a polite but firm letter decrying such nonsense. I should have sent it to a local TV station. Of course those philistines would have said, Mahler who? Who cares about whomever that might be.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite wrote: May 1st, 2023, 12:01 am I was there for the visuals but this was an extraordinary performance as well. I wept twice or so. and like you, Sep, I have attended upon many a performance. I have never seen a live performance of this symphony (I don't believe.) No matter, I have become unimpressed with live performances in our days.** I can run the symphony in my head from beginning to end and I loved the way this one went. The soloist were brilliant, I love that soprano bringing it home. Those solo parts are not easy. That ensemble solo sequence where all were sing with virtually no orchestral was thrilling. The rows and rows of choir members is a sight to behold and I was very moved. The choral sequence in the center of the movement is surpassing beautiful and it was splendid here. Even the conductor's face and body movements were moving and I usually like it best when the conductor demures from such ostentation. But he was totally sincere and with nary a showboating. I watched it a second time and it won't be the last.

**The last time I attended a live symphony concert was about five years ago, A Mahler Third with the San Diego Symphony. I was HORRIFIED that the concert was miked. This was an indoor concert hall. I have never heard of such a thing. I would have left immediately and demanded my money back but I was with a friend and I didn't want to spoil the outing. I paid $87 for the seat with the players right there in front of me and here I am getting the music from some massive loudspeaker from the side and above. Hello? If I wanted an experience like that I might stay at home at browse youtube. My friend, an experienced music listener and certainly more knowledgeable that myself, did not share my outrage. He seemed to think well the orchestra is still right in front of you. I was thunderstruck with such rot. They sell you a ticket and then give you the music secondhand. I wrote a polite but firm letter decrying such nonsense. I should have sent it to a local TV station. Of course those philistines would have said, Mahler who? Who cares about whomever that might be.
I've never seen (heard?) that. There are microphones at symphony performances, but they are recording the performance for radio, television, or other media. The local symphony here also has overflow spaces outside the hall, occasionally, and those will be shown via closed circuit audio and video. Also, they pipe in the audio from the hall into the restrooms. You can hear the orchestra warming up over the speakers if you go before the concert.

But they don't amplify the performers on stage through the hall's loudspeaker system. The hall is tuned for acoustic performances, and has to be reconfigured for any amplified performances. That only happens when they have a "Pops" concert or some touring performer rents the space.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

The only time I've heard electrically amplified music at a DSO concert was when they performed a piece by composer LOREN RUSH that included this piece. At the time, they orchestrated much of it except for an electric piano and synthesizer.

It was the late '70's when I was there for that. And conducted by James DePriest

Sepiatone
laffite

Post by laffite »

Sepiatone wrote: May 1st, 2023, 11:41 am The only time I've heard electrically amplified music at a DSO concert was when they performed a piece by composer LOREN RUSH that included this piece. At the time, they orchestrated much of it except for an electric piano and synthesizer.

It was the late '70's when I was there for that. And conducted by James DePriest

Sepiatone
Ghastly! I hope they keep on traveling. : -- )
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite wrote: May 1st, 2023, 12:53 pm
Sepiatone wrote: May 1st, 2023, 11:41 am The only time I've heard electrically amplified music at a DSO concert was when they performed a piece by composer LOREN RUSH that included this piece. At the time, they orchestrated much of it except for an electric piano and synthesizer.

Sepiatone
The not-quite-in-tune bit reminds me of this Henry Mancini score, here in suite form:

laffite

Post by laffite »

txfilmfan wrote: May 1st, 2023, 1:05 pm
I don't know the movie though of course I have heard of it. I don't care for this kind of story. People trapped like that or being held hostage, etc. .i.e. Beware My Lovely, and other like that.

But i listened to the music and most very fine. The screeching suspense music not that listenable, alone without the visuals (to me).

Thanks, Texfilmfan
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

laffite wrote: May 1st, 2023, 12:53 pm
Actually by the time it was played by the DSO Rush had worked it in with another piece I can't track down and the orchestation the orchestra played wasn't all that "ghastly", but that certainly fits as a description for what I posted.

And in answer to the point being made by the "Wait Until Dark" posting There's this opening music to another hit movie:

But really, "Wait Until Dark" is a very good movie. And my favorite Audrey Hepburn performance. IMHO I think she played blind much better than Al Pacino's mess in "Scent Of A Woman". (HOO-whah!) :roll:

Sepiatone
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

laffite wrote: March 27th, 2023, 7:52 pm
I'm listening to this right now, with extreme prejudice. JUDITH VALERIE ENGEL may be the best RAVEL interpreter I've heard, except the master VLADO PERLEMUTER. She surprises me as the first other interpreter that understands there is room for interpretation, and yet, completely faithful without flourishes. She makes a mistake or two, but she loves her RAVEL. Excellent.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

I've been revisiting old pieces I played once upon a time, when I was still proficient at playing. I used to play clarinet, cello, piano and organ. Today I've been listening to various versions of Jacques Press's Wedding Dance, originally written for orchestra, but transcribed here for wind ensemble (band). This is the version I played (on clarinet), some 40 (!) years ago now. Sadly, I've not kept up with practicing over the years, so there's no way I could even attempt this today...

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

ERIK SATIE Piano Works Daniel Varsano / Philippe Entremont pianists

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

VAUGHAN WILLIAMS and DELIUS Broughton English Symphony Orchestra  

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Eugene Ormandy LA MER Debussy

Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Here too, Allhallows? Well...............
Here's an oldie from Detroit

Sepiatone
Thenryb

Post by Thenryb »

I had this recording of Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 and consider it by far the best ever.