Classical Music

Chit-chat, current events
laffite

Classical Music

Post by laffite »

Last edited by laffite on December 18th, 2022, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Stevomachino

Re: Classical Music/Opera ... etc.

Post by Stevomachino »

Thanks for reviving this thread/topic from the TCM boards laffite! I found the original much too late, right before the boards closed, so it's nice to have a place here to share some great music!

Beethoven - Egmont Overture
laffite

Re: Classical Music

Post by laffite »

"Every one loves a waltz." Isn't this a famous phrase. Famous or not I love them. Is there a better example of feel-good music than this? This one will be sung but no fear. This is wonderful Helen Donath, soprano. Not only is a world-singer but a ultra pretty lady and if I may so say a fine strapping girl. Watch and listen ; not only is the music magnificent but the delightfully infectious way Miss Donath performs. Yes, I am preaching to the choir but if you are not among the choir, listen anyway please, you might like this ... maybe.

laffite

Post by laffite »

WHICH ONE DO YOU LIKE THE BEST?

laffite

Post by laffite »

Don't nobody bother with this, a complete waste of time. Nobody likes this crap.

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite wrote: January 8th, 2023, 7:14 pm Don't nobody bother with this, a complete waste of time. Nobody likes this crap.

Very nice. I wish our local symphony audience was just as disciplined. They never let the music completely die away, breaking into applause too soon...
laffite

Post by laffite »

txfilmfan wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:20 pm
laffite wrote: January 8th, 2023, 7:14 pm Don't nobody bother with this, a complete waste of time. Nobody likes this crap.

Very nice. I wish our local symphony audience was just as disciplined. They never let the music completely die away, breaking into applause too soon...
It sounds stuffy, but there have been protocols that have lasted a couple of centuries. As you saw here, the conductor will let the audience know when to begin clapping, by a slight movement of his/her body, or by a nodding of the head. Similarly, unsophisticated (hate to use that word but...) audiences (or those who haven't attended concerts like these) will often clap between the pauses of the movements of symphonies and concertos, etc. I'm not trashing anyone, just pointing out the traditions. I hope these "newbies" continue to attend. You probably know all this already, just issuing an FYI in general.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite wrote: January 9th, 2023, 1:01 am
txfilmfan wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:20 pm

It sounds stuffy, but there have been protocols that have lasted a couple of centuries. As you saw here, the conductor will let the audience know when to begin clapping, by a slight movement of his/her body, or by a nodding of the head. Similarly, unsophisticated (hate to use that word but...) audiences (or those who haven't attended concerts like these) will often clap between the pauses of the movements of symphonies and concertos, etc. I'm not trashing anyone, just pointing out the traditions. I hope these "newbies" continue to attend. You probably know all this already, just issuing an FYI in general.
Yes. I played clarinet in band, cello in orchestra, and both (plus piano, occasionally) in a community orchestra - whichever was the greatest need. The symphony hall in Dallas has some of the best acoustics on the planet, and sometimes the reverberation can last upwards of 5 seconds or so after the last note is played (it depends on how they have the hall configured, as the acoustics are very tunable). But you rarely get to hear the echo completely fade away, as people often break into applause before the conductor has lowered his/her arms. I'm glad people go, but it's just one of those pet peeves you develop as you become a crotchety old person!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

A fun moment when an audience member helps out, much to the delight of the singer.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
laffite

Post by laffite »

movieman1957 wrote: January 9th, 2023, 11:11 am

A fun moment when an audience member helps out, much to the delight of the singer.
Thanks, Chris. She about ready to sing the closing flourish of that aria. I wonder why it cut off. 24 years is quite young and generally singing coaches are loathe to put their students through such pieces that put demands on the voice. Of course, it's okay but it's frequency is carefully regulated.
laffite

Post by laffite »

What a Doll!

laffite

Post by laffite »

laffite

Post by laffite »

laffite

Post by laffite »

laffite

Post by laffite »

Here is a list of top 100 most popular classical works briefly excerpted (and I mean briefly)
Watch these classical gems as they
PASS IN REVIEW.
Have these memorized by next Thursday
There will be a test on Friday
You can do it
Good Luck