Classical Music

Chit-chat, current events
jimimac71

Re: Classical Music

Post by jimimac71 »

My very favorite episode of Murder, She Wrote is the very last one:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0653493/?ref_=ttep_ep24
Quote: And that, ladies and gentlemen, for you music lovers, was Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. For you guys who just like to crank up your stereos, it was that cool thing with the cannons. It's all right, I turned mine up, too, at that point.
jimimac71 remembers when the CD came out, warning people of hearing damage because the CD dynamics would make the cannons very loud. I suppose speaker damage could happen too.
My favorite classic is “Bolero”from the movie “10.”
laffite

Post by laffite »

An Encore Presentation

Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Thenryb wrote: June 5th, 2023, 7:07 pm I had this recording of Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 and consider it by far the best ever.
Well, me, and I'm sure many fans of the DSO appreciate your comment. :smiley_heartbounce:

Sepiatone
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Sepiatone
laffite

Post by laffite »

Sorry, Lenny ... you look bad with the bigger B in the wings.
laffite

Post by laffite »

laffite

Post by laffite »

laffite

Post by laffite »

Thenryb wrote: June 5th, 2023, 7:07 pm I had this recording of Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 and consider it by far the best ever.
So you have heard every single recording that ever was? I'm just chiding you but seriously there are innumerable renditions of this extant. But I know what y mean if I have you right, some are so pleasing personally that my Heavens no one has done it better. For instance, I am so smitten with Bernstein's Mahler VIII (Vienna) that I can hardly bear to hear another. I have a list like that. But I might be reluctant to declare that it is the best ever. And especially not "by far." But I admire your enthusiasm. ; - )
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite wrote: June 11th, 2023, 2:54 pm
So you have heard every single recording that ever was? I'm just chiding you but seriously there are innumerable renditions of this extant. But I know what y mean if I have you right, some are so pleasing personally that my Heavens no one has done it better. For instance, I am so smitten with Bernstein's Mahler VIII (Vienna) that I can hardly bear to hear another. I have a list like that. But I might be reluctant to declare that it is the best ever. And especially not "by far." But I admire your enthusiasm. ; - )
And there's nothing like hearing the Organ Symphony in person. Recordings and amplified systems can't do it justice.
laffite

Post by laffite »

txfilmfan wrote: June 11th, 2023, 3:04 pm
And there's nothing like hearing the Organ Symphony in person. Recordings and amplified systems can't do it justice.

I believe you. I have attended various recitals at the venue below, truly an amazing sound. I've see a perf of Toccate and Fugue in D Minor as well as a silent movie with live organ accompaniment. I have a photo somewhere of the latter showing the movie title but mock-tragically I can't remember which one. The sound of the organ has such depth that it takes the breath away. You make me wonder whether or not they have ever put on the Organ Symphony. They ought to.

https://balboapark.org/arts-culture/spr ... -pavilion/
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite wrote: June 11th, 2023, 3:16 pm
txfilmfan wrote: June 11th, 2023, 3:04 pm

I believe you. I have attended various recitals at the venue below, truly an amazing sound. I've see a perf of Toccate and Fugue in D Minor as well as a silent movie with live organ accompaniment. I have a photo somewhere of the latter showing the movie title but mock-tragically I can't remember which one. The sound of the organ has such depth that it takes the breath away. You make me wonder whether or not they have ever put on the Organ Symphony. They ought to.

https://balboapark.org/arts-culture/spr ... -pavilion/
I've only heard it once live, here in Dallas at the Meyerson, played on the Lay Family organ, with over 4500 pipes. We can thank the millions of people who eat Frito-Lay chips and drink Pepsi for paying for our organ. The organ premiered 3 years after the hall opened. The organ can absolutely cause the building to tremble. The hall has adaptable acoustics, so it can be tuned differently for organ concerts.
Thenryb

Post by Thenryb »

I have never heard it live, and have clearly not heard every recording but I have heard several, including, inter alia, one of the same vintage featuring E. Power Biggs. So, I suppose I should amend my statement to say "by far the best I have ever heard" ( including the excerpt in the soundtrack of Babe).
Last edited by Thenryb on June 16th, 2023, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Cornel Wilde as Chopin in A Song To Remember (1945)

Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Couldn't find any footage of him actually playing it, but why not mention who really played the piano in that movie(Jose Iturbi)?

Sepiatone