Theater

Chit-chat, current events
Swithin

Re: Theater

Post by Swithin »

Feinberg wrote: February 29th, 2024, 5:17 am I'm not sure why they are ding this as I suspect it will probably follow the screenplay pretty closely ....

On sale now! STEVE COOGAN stars in the first stage adaptation of Stanley Kubrick's iconic film Dr. Strangelove!
Dr Strangelove
ON SALE NOW!
Seven-time BAFTA Award winner Steve Coogan stars in the first ever adaption of Stanley Kubrick’s iconic DR. STRANGELOVE, as the world premiere stage production prepares for a strictly limited run at London’s Noël Coward Theatre from 8 October 2024.
Dr Strangelove
This comedy masterpiece, about a rogue U.S. General who triggers a nuclear crisis, is brought to the stage by acclaimed, BAFTA and Emmy Award winner Armando Iannucci and Olivier Award winner Sean Foley, in an explosively funny satire of mutually assured destruction.
FIND YOUR SEATS
Feinberg, are you in London? Anything particularly you recommend in theater (although I am already pretty well booked up.) The one thing I was really looking forward to -- haven't got a ticket yet -- was Nye at the NT, because I worked with Michael Sheen, but the advance word is not so good.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Swithin wrote: February 29th, 2024, 9:40 am
Feinberg wrote: February 29th, 2024, 5:17 am I'm not sure why they are ding this as I suspect it will probably follow the screenplay pretty closely ....

On sale now! STEVE COOGAN stars in the first stage adaptation of Stanley Kubrick's iconic film Dr. Strangelove!
Dr Strangelove
ON SALE NOW!
Seven-time BAFTA Award winner Steve Coogan stars in the first ever adaption of Stanley Kubrick’s iconic DR. STRANGELOVE, as the world premiere stage production prepares for a strictly limited run at London’s Noël Coward Theatre from 8 October 2024.
Dr Strangelove
This comedy masterpiece, about a rogue U.S. General who triggers a nuclear crisis, is brought to the stage by acclaimed, BAFTA and Emmy Award winner Armando Iannucci and Olivier Award winner Sean Foley, in an explosively funny satire of mutually assured destruction.
FIND YOUR SEATS
Feinberg, are you in London? Anything particularly you recommend in theater (although I am already pretty well booked up.) The one thing I was really looking forward to -- haven't got a ticket yet -- was Nye at the NT, because I worked with Michael Sheen, but the advance word is not so good.
I am in London but haven't turned my attention to what's going on. I was interested in the Burton/Gielgud play but the tickets were pretty expensive.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Feinberg wrote: March 1st, 2024, 10:02 am
Swithin wrote: February 29th, 2024, 9:40 am

Dr Strangelove
ON SALE NOW!
Dr Strangelove
FIND YOUR SEATS
I am in London but haven't turned my attention to what's going on. I was interested in the Burton/Gielgud play but the tickets were pretty expensive.
I'm probably going to go to that. I see there are generally TKTS seats on the day. I was able to get reasonable seats for Brian Cox in Long Day's Journey and Matt Smith in An Enemy of the People £40).
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

HoldenIsHere wrote: February 27th, 2024, 4:00 pm So far no specific dates have been announced for the Broadway run of Jamie Lloyd's revival of SUNSET BLVD that is transferring from London.

I am so looking forward to this one!

I hope they announce the dates and the venue soon.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I love Jacobean drama. I guess the most famous of that genre is The Duchess of Malfi, which I've seen three times (with Eleanor Bron and Ian McKellen at the National Theatre; with Harriet Walter at the RSC; and with Eve Best at the Old Vic). I have a ticket to see it at the Wanamaker Playhouse/Shakespeare's Globe in a couple of weeks and am looking forward to it. Reviews have mostly been great.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/westend/a ... e-20240301

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Sunset Blvd. Broadway dates and information announced:

https://www.andrewlloydwebber.com/news/ ... 1A,4FU8B,1'
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: March 1st, 2024, 10:40 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: February 27th, 2024, 4:00 pm So far no specific dates have been announced for the Broadway run of Jamie Lloyd's revival of SUNSET BLVD that is transferring from London.

https://www.andrewlloydwebber.com/news/ ... 1A,4FU8B,1
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Swithin wrote: March 25th, 2024, 9:32 am
BagelOnAPlate wrote: March 1st, 2024, 10:40 pm

https://www.andrewlloydwebber.com/news/ ... 1A,4FU8B,1
This is fantastic news!

I got an email announcement about this one as well.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

There is a new musical on in London at the moment that is a bit controversial. It's called Opening Night and is based on the John Cassavetes film. Music is by Rufus Wainright, direction by Ivo Van Hove, so good creds. The reviews were mostly abysmal, apart from a couple of good ones. I was supposed to go to London a few weeks ago but had to cancel due to a bad cold, but if I go in May, I'll see it. Friends have liked it. It's stars the popular but problematic Sheridan Smith, whom I saw in Funny Girl in London a few years ago.

https://openingnightmusical.com

Here's a good review and a bad one, and some excerpts from The New York Times London critic.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2024/ ... wainwright

https://www.whatsonstage.com/news/openi ... t_1587750/

Here are excerpts from The New York Times London critic:

By Houman Barekat
The critic Houman Barekat saw “Opening Night” in London.

March 26, 2024
In a London auditorium, a work of art is being desecrated. “Opening Night,” John Cassavetes’s understatedly stylish 1977 movie about an actress struggling with midlife ennui, has been reimagined as a musical by the Belgian director Ivo van Hove, and the result is a travesty.

As an artist yearning to take back control of her narrative, Myrtle should resonate at a time when questions of agency — for women and minorities, among others — are on many people’s minds. But van Hove’s corny treatment trivializes her suffering. Cassavetes’s movie had an elliptical quality that drew viewers in through the strength of its narrative artifice and the power of the actors’ performances; here, the story never comes to life, and the themes are labored. Van Hove has transformed a taut, subtly observed character study into a sludgy melodrama.

Headline from The Independent:

Opening Night review: Sheridan Smith exquisitely self-destructs in weird meta-West End musical
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

"There's been a call.
(What did I say?)
They want to see me
Right away!"

I bought tickets today at the pre-sale for Jamie Lloyd's revival of SUNSET BLVD that's transferring from the West End to Broadway this fall.
So the sweetie and I will be in New York in October!
Our 10-year anniversary is coming up this summer, but we decided to delay the celebration to accommodate seeing this show.

I wonder if the second act opening with Tom Francis singing on the street outside the Savoy in London will be replicated outside St. James Theatre in New York?

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 5:08 pm "There's been a call.
(What did I say?)
They want to see me
Right away!"

I bought tickets today at the pre-sale for Jamie Lloyd's revival of SUNSET BLVD that's transferring from the West End to Broadway this fall.
Our 10-year anniversary is coming up this summer, but we decided to delay the celebration to accommodate seeing this show.

I wonder if the second act opening with Tom Francis singing on the street outside the Savoy in London will be replicated outside St. James Theatre in New York?

Think they'll have software to mute out the constant sirens and honking in Manhattan? You can hear them inside the theaters, so it'll only be that much worse outside.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

txfilmfan wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 6:04 pm
(What did I say?)
They want to see me
Right away!"

Think they'll have software to mute out the constant sirens and honking in Manhattan? You can hear them inside the theaters, so it'll only be that much worse outside.
Here's another video that someone recorded of Tom Francis singing "Sunset Blvd" on the street outside the Savoy with the security entourage and tech people with him.

You can hear someone say at one point "It's a West End show."
I guess a bystander had asked what was going on.

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

The entrance to the Savoy Theatre/Hotel, with its little cul-de-sac, was an asset for the outdoor work for Sunset. It's too bad they couldn't get the Shubert in NYC. Shubert Alley would have been useful for part of the street scene.

The show before Sunset at the Savoy was the incredible A Little Life. Although I saw it at the Richmond Theatre in outer London before it came in, it too used a lot of video. The current show at the Savoy is Plaza Suite, with Sarah Jessica and Matthew.

The first show I ever saw at the Savoy was A Ghost on Tiptoe, with Robert Morley and Ambrosine Phillpotts.

Other shows I've seen at the Savoy:

Man and Superman (1977, Susan Hampshire, Nigel Havers)
Whose Life Is it Anyway? (1978, Tom Conti, Jane Asher)
Noises Off (1982, Patricia Routledge, Paul Eddington)
She Loves Me (1994, Ruthie Henshall)
Gypsy (2015, Imelda Staunton)
Dreamgirls (2016, Amber Riley)
Sunset Blvd (2023)
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

(What did I say?)
They want to see me
Right away!"

I got tickets during the pre-sale as well!
I can't wait to see this show!!!

They had to push the sale back a day because there was some technical glitch on the day it was originally supposed to happen.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: April 4th, 2024, 7:18 pm The entrance to the Savoy Theatre/Hotel, with its little cul-de-sac, was an asset for the outdoor work for Sunset. It's too bad they couldn't get the Shubert in NYC. Shubert Alley would have been useful for part of the street scene.

The show before Sunset at the Savoy was the incredible A Little Life. Although I saw it at the Richmond Theatre in outer London before it came in, it too used a lot of video. The current show at the Savoy is Plaza Suite, with Sarah Jessica and Matthew.

The first show I ever saw at the Savoy was A Ghost on Tiptoe, with Robert Morley and Ambrosine Phillpotts.

Other shows I've seen at the Savoy:

Man and Superman (1977, Susan Hampshire, Nigel Havers)
Whose Life Is it Anyway? (1978, Tom Conti, Jane Asher)
Noises Off (1982, Patricia Routledge, Paul Eddington)
She Loves Me (1994, Ruthie Henshall)
Gypsy (2015, Imelda Staunton)
Dreamgirls (2016, Amber Riley)
Sunset Blvd (2023)
One of the few places in London (maybe the only one) where you drive on the right...

They did have to start out on the Strand, though, which has a lot of traffic (both foot and vehicular), but they quickly went 'round the corner.

The Savoy is one theatre I've never visited.