FOR DARGO: THE TRIUMPH OF FILM

Chit-chat, current events
User avatar
NoShear
Posts: 95
Joined: October 9th, 2023, 6:23 pm

FOR DARGO: THE TRIUMPH OF FILM

Post by NoShear »

Dargo, caught the most recent screening of "COOGAN'S BLUff" on TCM and naturally thought of you with the Triumphs careening amongst the Cloisters...

Identified as a T100R Daytona and a TR-6 650, respectively:

Image
Image

Inspired by scenes such as Haskell Wexler's Belvedere Batmobile alley yield for "IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT" and Clint Eastwood's shaded deputies, Dargo, I'm comin' back in my next life as some detective who cuts a striking figure in a fancy outfit, sips Dr. Pepper on balmy evenings and can be heard saying things such as "Put your pants on, boy" to uncooperative suspects.
User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 2579
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: FOR DARGO: THE TRIUMPH OF FILM

Post by Dargo »

Coincidentally here NS, I was channel surfing the other night and happened upon this film again and just as this sequence started.

And ya know, I had always thought the Triumph that Don Stroud rode in it was a 650cc TR6, but after now looking at this still of it you posted, yep, that is indeed a 500cc T100R Daytona, alright.

And so I guess this is why Clint eventually catches Don then. It's a faster bike!

Naaah. ;)

(...btw...I've always wondered who did the actual stunt-riding in this sequence, as I doubt it's either Clint nor Don in some of the more technical and difficult jump shots)
User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 2579
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: FOR DARGO: THE TRIUMPH OF FILM

Post by Dargo »

And now for another observation about this film...

Was Susan Clark hot back in the day or WHAT?!!!

Image

(...my answer of course would be a definitive yes)
User avatar
jimimac71
Posts: 841
Joined: January 17th, 2023, 1:50 pm

Re: FOR DARGO: THE TRIUMPH OF FILM

Post by jimimac71 »

At 81, I'm sure Susan Clark is still hot!
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/35047%7 ... /#overview
Avatar: Moses aka JackA.
User avatar
NoShear
Posts: 95
Joined: October 9th, 2023, 6:23 pm

Re: FOR DARGO: THE TRIUMPH OF FILM

Post by NoShear »

Dargo wrote: April 1st, 2024, 4:19 pm And now for another observation about this film...

Was Susan Clark hot back in the day or WHAT?!!!

Image

(...my answer of course would be a definitive yes)
I mildly wondered about Susan Clark's attraction quotient for you, Dargo: Guess I found out!
So, we need to extend your hair color spectrum to include auburn. ;)
User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 2579
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: FOR DARGO: THE TRIUMPH OF FILM

Post by Dargo »

LOL

Yep! Yes indeedy! Auburn-haired lasses have always been high on my list too, alright.

(...in fact, a vision of Samantha Eggar has just now popped into my head for some reason) ;)
User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 2579
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: FOR DARGO: THE TRIUMPH OF FILM

Post by Dargo »

I guess now, and considering the topics of discussion in this baby have been "Triumph motorcycles" and "lovely auburn-haired lasses", the next logical progression here would be to post this pic of Ann-Margret astride her 1966 T100C Tiger...

Image
User avatar
NoShear
Posts: 95
Joined: October 9th, 2023, 6:23 pm

Re: FOR DARGO: THE TRIUMPH OF FILM

Post by NoShear »

Dargo wrote: April 1st, 2024, 9:24 pm I guess now, and considering the topics of discussion in this baby have been "Triumph motorcycles" and "lovely auburn-haired lasses", the next logical progression here would be to post this pic of Ann-Margret astride her 1966 T100C Tiger...

Image
Switching gear but still in the same lane, Dargo:

Image
User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 2579
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: FOR DARGO: THE TRIUMPH OF FILM

Post by Dargo »

NoShear wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 10:35 am
Switching gear but still in the same lane, Dargo:

Image
Ah yes! From the James Bond 'Thunderball' movie with the rocket launcher-equipped 1965 BSA Lightning and Luciana Paluzzi astride it. I believe this bike is now presently on display in the British National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham England, and just a stone's throw from where the BSA factory used to exist. Visited this museum back in '96.

(...my first "big" bike back as a teenager was a slightly used 1966 BSA 650 Lightning, in fact...not rocket launcher-equipped though, of course...nor with that fairing on it either)
User avatar
NoShear
Posts: 95
Joined: October 9th, 2023, 6:23 pm

Re: FOR DARGO: THE TRIUMPH OF FILM

Post by NoShear »

Dargo wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 7:30 pm
NoShear wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 10:35 am
Switching gear but still in the same lane, Dargo:

Image
Ah yes! From the James Bond 'Thunderball' movie with the rocket launcher-equipped 1965 BSA Lightning and Luciana Paluzzi astride it. I believe this bike is now presently on display in the British National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham England, and just a stone's throw from where the BSA factory used to exist. Visited this museum back in '96.

(...my first "big" bike back as a teenager was a slightly used 1966 BSA 650 Lightning, in fact...not rocket launcher-equipped though, of course...nor with that fairing on it either)
You should've insisted on the additional accessories, Dargo. ;)
User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 2579
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: FOR DARGO: THE TRIUMPH OF FILM

Post by Dargo »

NoShear wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 7:55 pm
You should've insisted on the additional accessories, Dargo. ;)
LOL

Yep, sure might've helped clear that mess of L.A. traffic I'd encounter in front me during my commutes all those years there, huh. ;)

(...doubt the CHP would've approved though)
User avatar
NoShear
Posts: 95
Joined: October 9th, 2023, 6:23 pm

Re: FOR DARGO: THE TRIUMPH OF FILM

Post by NoShear »

Dargo wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 7:30 pm
NoShear wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 10:35 am
Switching gear but still in the same lane, Dargo:

Image
Ah yes! From the James Bond 'Thunderball' movie with the rocket launcher-equipped 1965 BSA Lightning and Luciana Paluzzi astride it. I believe this bike is now presently on display in the British National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham England, and just a stone's throw from where the BSA factory used to exist. Visited this museum back in '96.

(...my first "big" bike back as a teenager was a slightly used 1966 BSA 650 Lightning, in fact...not rocket launcher-equipped though, of course...nor with that fairing on it either)
That's cool you got to visit it: Seems a necessary pilgrimage for you, Dargo.
User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 2579
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: FOR DARGO: THE TRIUMPH OF FILM

Post by Dargo »

NoShear wrote: April 5th, 2024, 11:37 am
That's cool you got to visit it: Seems a necessary pilgrimage for you, Dargo.
Yep, it was. This museum, and in addition the then recently built new and modern Triumph factory which sits about 20 miles east of it in a little town named Hinckley, were a couple of stops my wife and I made while doing a clockwise loop through the U.K. in '96 and by use of BritRail passes we had purchased.

Ironically and weirdly enough though, both this museum and the Triumph factory would suffer major fires within a year of each other back in 2002 and 2003.

(...both would be rebuilt within a few years, though)
User avatar
NoShear
Posts: 95
Joined: October 9th, 2023, 6:23 pm

Re: FOR DARGO: THE TRIUMPH OF FILM

Post by NoShear »

Dargo wrote: April 5th, 2024, 11:55 am
NoShear wrote: April 5th, 2024, 11:37 am
That's cool you got to visit it: Seems a necessary pilgrimage for you, Dargo.
Yep, it was. This museum, and in addition the then recently built new and modern Triumph factory which sits about 20 miles east of it in a little town named Hinckley, were a couple of stops my wife and I made while doing a clockwise loop through the U.K. in '96 and by use of BritRail passes we had purchased.

Ironically and weirdly enough though, both this museum and the Triumph factory would suffer major fires within a year of each other back in 2002 and 2003.

(...both would be rebuilt within a few years, though)
Coming from motocross - fifty years ago a prime interest, it's surreal, Dargo, I wondered about the Triumph of THE GREAT ESCAPE: I once thought that it might have been a Maico used because of the 1963 movie's German setting, eventually learning otherwise...

With TCM's screening of THE BOY in the PLASTIC BUBBLE last month, I noticed a prop poster from my childhood used for the 1976 made-for-television movie:

Image
User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 2579
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: FOR DARGO: THE TRIUMPH OF FILM

Post by Dargo »

NoShear wrote: April 5th, 2024, 1:10 pm

Coming from motocross - fifty years ago a prime interest, it's surreal, Dargo, I wondered about the Triumph of THE GREAT ESCAPE: I once thought that it might have been a Maico used because of the 1963 movie's German setting, eventually learning otherwise...

With TCM's screening of THE BOY in the PLASTIC BUBBLE last month, I noticed a prop poster from my childhood used for the 1976 made-for-television movie:

Image
Sounds as if you might've ridden the old Indian Dunes track up there near Magic Mountain back in the day.

And so speaking of 'The Great Escape', I'm sure you know Steve McQueen was a regular there, don't ya.

(...and used to competition ride under the name "Harvey Mushman")
Post Reply