WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Cesar Romero was so dashing and determined as Cortez. (Hubba-Hubba meter is running!)

And that dance with Tyrone and Jean....ooh la la.

The "hieroglyphs" in the temple were a little more Picasso than Quetzalcoatl, though. So it always makes it more difficult for me to suspend my disbelief because I know so much about the Aztecs, and, of course, it is longer on bravdo than facts, but I love Tyrone. He is so adorable. And it is a good swash and buckle.

The woman, Dona Marina, La Malinche, was a little stiff in delivery and seemed much more serious than everybody else, but she looked lovely, and her costumes were realistic. The embroidered gauze sheath was traditional and popular for the times (1518-1519), but contemporary artists renderings show her with flowing hair, not done up with ribbons in an upsweep as in the film.

More trivia: She was the first "Christianized" native in New Spain and helped Father Olmedo spread the Catholic message. (Conquistadors would have native women baptized with Spanish names before they would enjoy the comforts of their caresses according to first person accounts during the Conquest.)

As a young woman, she was sold in slavery to another chief by her mother and brother so that there would be no question of who would succeed her father. When she had gained a position of authority with Cortez and his army as a trusted ally, her mother and brother were presented to her, trembling with fear at what she might command them to do, and she told them she forgave them "for they knew not what they had done."

As she spoke Nahuatl, Maya, and another dialect, she was highly prized as an interpreter, and shipwrecked Spanish sailor Antonio de Aguilar spoke Spanish and Maya, so Aguilar would speak Spanish with the Captain, translate his questions into Maya for Dona Marina, and she would then relay messages to envoys of Montezuma.
Within two months time, she was fluent in Spanish. A remarkable gal, even in the 16th cenury.

And I will always enjoy Captain From Castile, no matter what...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

feaito wrote:Dear Ali, I can see that you are not fond of some British actors (Brian Aherne, Stewart Granger -whom my wife's grandmother adored- and others); I'm realizing you like actors with a kind of devilish, mischievous quality :wink: (Mason, Raft, Cary Grant, Chevalier...). But then, being an English lass you're perhaps supposed not to be taken by English actors....Christine does not like Louis Jourdan (whom I know you love); you're indeed partial to Frenchmen (especially Boyer) :wink:

By the way I get the "fanny" stuff in Britain :wink: Did you know that "Fanny by Gaslight" was banned in the USA because it transgressed the Hays Code? I bet that this was due to the fact that Calvert did not want to marry Granger for a while and they lived together as lovers, and besides, slept in a queen bed!!

Today I saw another vintage British film -love your films from the 1930s and 1940s Ali- "Love Story" (1945) with Margaret Lockwood, Stewart Granger and Patricia Roc. Lockwood is a famous pianist who suffers from heart failure and who's supposed to die in about three months; she goes to the Cornish coast and meets devil-may-care engineer Kit (Granger) who also has some dark secret concerning his future. Enter lovely Patricia Roc, an actress who's Kit's childhood pal, but who secretly carries a torch for him. A melodramatic, soapy film in the "Dark Victory" (1939) vein, with an impressive performance by Roc as a real human being; her character is definitely the most interesting, although I had a great time watching the film, which holds up quite well.

BTW, I was confused when the film began: The Rank Gong appeared; then, the Eagle-Lion logo; then, the beautiful, kitschy Gainsborough lady and when it ended it read "made at Gaumont-British" studios!! What a confusion of film companies!!
There's a lot of truth in what you say, I don't appear to like the more refined English type, like Aherne and Granger although I do like James Mason, Laurence Olivier, Robert Donat and Richard Burton so I'm not against the English type. I do like a devilish type and if that type has a French accent or any accent then all the better although I do like a resonant voice like James Mason, Laurence Olivier or Richard Burton.

I did know it was banned, did we produce a version more acceptable to the American audience do you know? I haven't seen Love Story yet although it's on my rental list, I'm looking forward to it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Ali, I'm not sure if the film underwent cuts to be released in the USA or if it was simply admitted afterwards; I think the latter option makes more sense.
charliechaplinfan

Cuts would have messed the storyline up, I think you're right, I hope American audeinces got to see the full version, it's a cracking little film.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

It is amazing how censors caved in for sex stimulation and somewhat reduced the level of smoking in today's films. There seems to be a much higher level of crime and sexual violence today compared to the suggested inuendo of sexual depravity from 40 or 50 years ago. Do you remember all of the films of the 40s that promoted drinking and smoking in almost every scene. I always chuckled at the sophisticated scripts that had the dressed to the "hilt" couples returning to an apartment after dinner and dancing only to find an open bar available with fresh ice cubes in a bucket. Smoking was always happening.

A big change today has included massive numbers of people using open drugs and alcohol abuse. Today's youth are pushed into these cultural negative situations by Hollywood's understanding of "reality". I, for one, am an old timer who does not agree nor like what is on our theater screens of today. TV is quick to follow.

Don't misunderstand me. I often curse, myself. But I do not use 4 letter words to complete all my sentences.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
charliechaplinfan

I watched the controversial Victim, it was controversial at the time and if one appreciates that homosexuality was illegal when this film was made in 1961 it becomes a blackmail film without an agenda. It might prove hard for some to watch as there are characters who profess to be shocked, sickened etc about homosexuality but the most noble characters, like Sylvia Sims who plays Dirk Bogarde's wife loves him despite what she knows, the police officer who has to prosecute but sees the bigger crime as the blackmailer who blackmails homosexuals. Wrapped around this controversial subject is a very good plot, so good that at first you're not quite sure what is going and it kept me guessing to the end. Dirk Bogarde (not overly fimiliar with his work yet) was superb in the lead as was Sylvia Sims. Great movie, story, location, subject etc
Last edited by charliechaplinfan on June 18th, 2012, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Last WE I saw The Hospital (1971, Arthur Hiller) with George C. Scott and Diana Rigg. I am a great fan of Hiller's superb feature The Americanization of Emily (1964) written by the great Paddy Shayefsky. So I was curious to see that other Shayefsky written feature. The story is rather like a dark-humoured comedy verging on the macabre. G.C. Scott plays a high-powered doctor who is managing a teaching hospital in central Manhattan. His life is in shambles: his wife left him, he got rid of his teenaged kids and his hospital is falling apart. In that respect, the film was still very much up-to-date: the failure of the various services inside the hospital rang true. Lack of nurses, temp nursing, overcrowded E.R., bad surgeons, various malpractices, etc. What Shayefsky decsribes is very much what is happening nowadays in various countries. Scott gave a very believable performance as the overworked and depressed doctor, quite different from his hammy Patton. Unfortunately, the storyline after a good start proved a bit messy. Scott is faced with the sudden death in strange circumstances of various doctors in his hospital. Each time the 'accidents' show serious human failure within the hospital. But the ultimate explanation was somewhat disappointing. Diana Rigg plays a patient's daughter, wearing a mini-skirt and in line with the hippies of the time. An interesting film, but not up to the standard of The Americanization of Emily.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like THE HOSPITAL. It is dark, as you say. Clever, literate, thought provoking. One patient is "forgotten to death." Chayefsky's NETWORK is a better film. But the two socio-professional satires have things in common.

VICTIM is a fine, sad story, well played. I should watch that one again. As for vulgar language, I'm like Uncle Stevie. I cuss when I'm mad. I don't use "F-ing" to describe all concepts, good and bad. "My F-ing roommate made an F-ing pot roast that was F-ing awesome!" I don't get it.
charliechaplinfan

I recently watched Petulia with George C Scott in, I'd like to see him in something else as I felt he was such a presence in Petulia. There hasn't been much released here apart from his most famous roles which I've seen him in.

I hate swearing, if it has to slip out let it be under the breath. I am the scourge of the building site which is behind our house, f words riddle the builders conversation unnecessarily, I'm always on the phone to the site manager.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

What I hate is when f bombs are dropped over and over again, when people are sitting directly next to little children. It used to happen from time to time when Alice was little and I would go over and very quietly ask them to watch their language. Without fail people were unaware that they had been swearing at all, and all, even the teenagers were very respectful and watched their language afterwards.
charliechaplinfan

That's the problem when people don't realise, I fear we're fighting a loosing battle.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

At the drywall supply company I worked at for 15 years, I heard the f word on average 15 times a day..probably more..from one of the sweetest guys I've ever known. He honestly didn't know how to speak without it. No matter how many times you hear it, hopefully you never EVER get used to it.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]RedRiver[/u] wrote:As for vulgar language, I'm like Uncle Stevie. I cuss when I'm mad. I don't use "F-ing" to describe all concepts, good and bad. "My F-ing roommate made an F-ing pot roast that was F-ing awesome!" I don't get it.
Probably was a pretty good chef... :shock:

Some folks on my FaceBook page complained and feared that Quentin Tarantino would be using the "N" word a lot in his upcoming movie "Django Unchained." I wrote back that I hear the "N" word on the train, in the store, walking down the street, passing a school, etc., so Quentin using it is the LEAST of my worries, when my own folks use it like breathing air. I hate that word.

JUST A WORD ABOUT MOVIES.
[u]moirafinnie[/u] wrote:Ida was great in this movie ["DEEP VALLEY."] Give Dane Clark an inch and he'll take a mile in this movie. He might even grow on you, Theresa. Unfortunately, we can't have John Garfield 24/7, and Clark is really effective in this movie. I should mention to look out for one of Fay Bainter's best performances as she and Henry Hull are cast as a married couple who would make Strindberg happy. Run, Ida, run. Run far, run fast!
I'll shall keep an open mind about Dane, Moira. If I'm being honest, I did like him in "Moonrise." And Fay Bainter is one of my favorites. I am afraid, though, Faye now has serious competition thanxx to King Rat and Moira Finnie:
[u]kingrat[/u] wrote:In NIGHT SONG Merle Oberon pretends to be blind to get closer to a blind composer and pianist (Dana Andrews). Sounds awful, doesn't it? John Cromwell, who did such a good job with THE ENCHANTED COTTAGE, does it again here. Music is extemely important in this film.
[u]moirafinnie[/u] wrote:Keep your eye on Hoagie Carmichael and Ethel Barrymore's byplay in this one. They do a lot with a few glances and their minimal but pithy dialogue. The two had chemistry. It's not a bad love story for Merle and Dana either.
I sat out in Battery Park with a Peach Snapple and my portable dvd player and watched 3/4 of "NIGHT SONG" before I had to leave the park. I think I've got probably a half an hour to go and I have to say I am simply in love with the story and the way Cromwell unfolds it. Merle is so delicate, Dana - brusque, damaged and bitter and Hoagy is the best friend a pair of lovers could have. He's marvelous in this very supporting role. I love his line readings. Very flat affect...very good. But the real find for me is...ETHEL BARRYMORE. She's an old wise soul...with her little half-smile and smoking a cigarette and quippy bon mots. She looks like a woman whose had a great past with beaux in her day. I want to sit at her knee and listen to all her stories of past loves. Spinster? HA!! I don't believe that for one cotton-pickin' flippin' minute. I can't wait to see how it's going to turn out. I'm at the point of the movie with unexpected turns of events I never saw coming. Let me go back a couple of pages on this thread and read what was said about John Cromwell.

Let me say, what was initially a kibbitzing "challenge" to King Rat:
[u][i]kingrat[/i][/u] wrote:Oh no, it's Maven's challenge to me to name 10 American delicate romantic films from the 1940s. Me and my big mouth...
has become a really fantastic find. Thank you King Rat for putting "NIGHT SONG" on your list.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

You surprise me about the n word Theresa, I thought enough years had passed so that everyone would be in no doubt that it is an offensive word but then it hasn't stopped the f word and I think everyone knows it's offensive.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

One of the funniest stories of my life involved my parents and the movie "Network." My mother, who is the very definition of a Southern Lady and a good Christian woman, with my father, similar in his faith, had been to see the movie "Network." My friend and I had seen it the week before and we knew the language in it.

We asked my mother how she liked it and she said it was fine except for "that word." Knowingly we asked "What word?" She responded "You know, that word." We admitted we didn't know what she was talking about. She continued on so try to get us to guess the word until several minutes later my father yelled from the kitchen "F***!!!!"

My mother was horrified. Screaming his name, "DON!" "I can't believe what you just did. In front of your son and a guest....."During the middle of this tirade she pulled out the carpet sweeper and while ruining the carpet she yelled for another five minutes.

My father is a very funny man.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."