WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
RedRiver

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by RedRiver »

My goal is to make it through the weekend without hearing about Dennis Rodman, Justin Bieber or The Super Bowl!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Red:

You might survive Rodman but it's going to be hard to get past the other two. Of course, a constant stream of TCM and nothing else might just work.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm thinking straight video. Don't even turn on the TV!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

On Thursday, I watched "The Barefoot Contessa" (1954) directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz.

I really enjoyed it. Admittedly, I had low expectations, having heard nothing especially good about the film. But I found it very interesting to see a "new" Humphrey Bogart film, especially one in which he was not the protagonist but simply a narrator/observer. Edmund O'Brien was terrific as the PR guy. And Ava Gardner was as ethereal as her character was supposed to be.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Speaking of heist films, THE HOT ROCK was on PBS last night. Holy cow! I like everything about this Peter Yates thriller from popular author Donald E. Westlake's novel. And I mean everything. There's very little I would change. The plot, the "So 70s" atmosphere, the relentlessness of the caper; that feeling of "Oh, my God. I can't belive they're doing this!" Robert Redford plays the notorious Dortmunder, reslolute thief and hero of much of Westlake's fiction. George Segal is his nervous partner. Fabulous Zero Mostel a lawyer who may, or may not, be trustworthy. Probably not!

Anytime the plot involves breaking INTO prison, we're in for something unique. They've already stolen the priceless jewel. The only person who knows where it is is behind bars. Get him out and we'll talk! What's so entertaining is the trial and error the culprits must endure. Plan A didn't go so well. Plan B was looking good until...By the time it's over, they must be halfway through the alphabet!

I've heard about this caper film since its release in 1972. I had never seen it until last night. I recommend others do the same.

"Afghanistan banana stand."
Last edited by RedRiver on February 3rd, 2014, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Masha,

Thanks for the heist films - I've not heard of these! I don't mind modern films. I am especially interested in Lock, Stock and Smoking Barrels, from your description.

Red, I LOVE The Hot Rock! A very underrated film. The twists are great, it's written very well. I used to have a huge crush on Paul Sand. I think the parts are cast perfectly, and it's got a bunch of great character actors. What's not to love?

I watched, REALLY watched, Mildred Pierce this morning. I guess I never really GOT this film. I was on the brink last time I saw it. This time, it was all spelled out in that first scene with Bruce Bennett. Mildred has let Veda take over the running of the household. It's clear as a bell. Everything is for Veda, about Veda and by Veda. Mildred is driven to do more and more to get Veda's love. What a crock! The girl playing Ann (is that the right name?) is so good here, you really miss her when she's gone. Bert Pierce just can't take being shoved out because of Mildred's insatiable desire to earn Veda's love or respect, which is non-existent. In the beginning framework of the film, the prologue at the police station, Mildred even says, "I MADE A MISTAKE. " It's clear that the mistake she made was in letting Bert go. That was the key to the whole film for me and I finally get it.

I think my main problem with the film was the casting of Bennett. He's all one tone, all the time. I glossed over his scenes, missed that important section of the film that sets the stage. I looked at him and my eyes would glaze over. :D That doesn't mean I don't like him, I do think he's a serviceable actor. I just wish that he gave more verve to his argument with Mildred at the beginning... I think I would have seen the dilemma right off if his character had been more clearly defined. I'm thinking maybe Ralph Bellamy...well, maybe not that goody two shoes a fellow... how about Henry Fonda or Dana Andrews or even John Garfield? Joseph Cotten? I know I've got the wrong studios for all of them... but at least with a more expressive actor we'd get the idea that we came in on a father who was watching his place usurped, that the couple was already in the middle of something that neither of them could stop - that SHE pushed HIM away. MILDRED'S MISTAKE. An actor with more chops might have pointed up the first scene a little more, going off to Mrs. whatever-her-name-is as a last ditch effort to get some respect and love. Cabot is just so weak seeming. I did notice that he goes to Mildred right before walking out, but she has her back turned and won't turn to him. Then he goes. That is what I should have been looking at all along, that it's Mildred's wrong-headed-ness that drove him out, rather than a failing of Bert's, which is what I always see.

Other than that, the movie is totally great, and I can even buy Bennett now that I've listened carefully to the dialogue in his scene. The next scene - the one where Wally comes over, is likely my favorite in the film. The by-play between Joan and Jack Carson is magnificent. He's all hands and leer, sweetly conning her for what is essentially a booty call, but she's one step ahead and knows what he's there for and is ready. I love the way he checks out her behind as she leads him to the door, walking away from the camera. It's so subtle I only just caught it. and I've seen the film quite a few times. He is all about the bottom half of her body, now that I watch closely, the grabbing up her robe's belt and untying it without her realizing it is the culmination of that pass he's been making ever since he showed up at her door. I also love the way she treats him, almost amused but she's also got a kind of an achy, bored, business-like look when talking to him that tells it all. No more men in her future....They actually have a warm-hearted relationship, which sets up the confrontation when she decides to marry Monty. I love his indignation, telling her that she practically threw his offer out the window because she didn't want to be tied down, while accepting Monty who she knew was a bigger louse than he was. He's right to call her on it.

Mildred has plenty of chances to change her behavior, to get back with Bert, and to start being a mother to Veda, rather than a doormat. But she doesn't listen, refuses to change, misses all the cues being given by her friends and lovers. That's how she ends up in all that trouble, and all those around her too. She's the cause of all the situations in the film.... it's trickle down drama, and now that I get that, I like it very much. It's a morality tale for women.

I guess I always have trouble with movies like this one and The Letter, those morality lessons where the woman is so in the wrong, makes such mistakes. I need to realize that women in noir can make as many mistakes as men, and just as terrible ones. That they can be deluded or swayed by fantasy and foolishness just as men can. At least in the movies. :D :D :D :D
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Enjoyed your thoughts on Mildred Pierce and agree Bruce Bennett plays Bert too weak . I guess nobody bigger wanted to do it since it's a small part.
Zachary Scott is just so good as the smooth Monty. At least Veda found her match in him.
And to think Joan was about third choice for Mildred - she really made it her own.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I think Mildred's MISTAKE is allowing Veda to run rough-shod over her. Might she have saved her marriage? Seen through Monty Berrigan? Maybe. Maybe not. Everybody makes those mistakes. The bomb that blows up in everybody's faces is self-serving, manipulative, amoral little Veda. I like everything about this movie!
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

RedRiver wrote:Speaking of heist films, THE HOT ROCK was on PBS last night. Holy cow! I like everything about this Peter Yates thriller from popular author Donald E. Westlake's novel. And I mean everything. There's very little I would change. The plot, the "So 70s" atmosphere, the relentlessness of the caper; that feeling of "Oh, my God. I can't belive they're doing this!" Robert Redford plays the notorious Dortmunder, reslolute thief and hero of much of Westlake's fiction. George Segal is his nervous partner. Fabulous Zero Mostel a lawyer who may, or may not, be trustworthy. Probably not!

Anytime the plot involves breaking INTO prison, we're in for something unique. They've already stolen the priceless jewel. The only person who knows where it is is behind bars. Get him out and we'll talk! What's so entertaining is the trial and error the culprits must endure. Plan A didn't go so well. Plan B was looking good until...By the time it's over, they must be halfway through the alphabet!

I've heard about this caper film since its release in 1972. I had never seen it until last night. I recommend others do the same.

"Afghanistan banana stand."
I love all of Westlake's books. I believe he invented the comic crime caper novel.

I think THE HOT ROCK, the first Dortmunder, was his finest. The way it builds from crazy to insane to unbelievable is priceless. I've never seen the movie, but will certainly search it out.

By the way, I think they did a really good job with the second Dortmunder, 'THE BANK SHOT, which starred George C. Scott as master criminal (/) Dortmunder.

For those unfamiliar with the two films: The criminal gang has no trouble stealing the ROCK, their only problem is hanging on to it. And in the other one they steal a BANK. (Think about it.)
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That sounds GREAT, Lucky. I've never seen the second Dortmunder movie or read Westlake's books. Thanks for the tip!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Kingrat,

Joyce Compton was the dumbest bunny that hopped, wasn't she? And I'll admit it, I love her stereotyped characters. :D

Red,

I think you are right about MILDRED'S MISTAKE, it was that she let Veda run roughshod over all of them. But that was all tied up with her marriage to Bert - THAT'S why he left, she literally replaced him with Veda, perhaps because he wasn't strong enough to fight it in the first place. And what the heck? Where was he as Veda was growing up? He should have been more proactive in the raising of the kids, though I suppose a career was what it was all about for men at that time. MIldred castrated him emotionally in the family, and that's why he left. She made Veda the man of the family, it seems to me.
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Please forgive the interruption, but I just watched the most amazing and wonderful film earlier today and if I don't mention it to someone I may burst. ha. :D I recently bought a copy of the film HUGO on DVD and it sat on my shelf and mocked me for over a month before I ever watched it. ha.. But I FINALLY watched it today, and I must say that I think it may be the best "new" film (at least new to me) that I have seen in ages.

And may I just add, OH me, oh my.. I don't know why it took me so long to finally sit down and give it a looksee (except maybe because I am no huge Scorsese kinda gal, ha.) But I found myself with a big dose of cabin fever today so I started looking around the ole video collection and there it was.

And now that I have seen it... I just want to say how lovely it was. Truly. And it was lovely not just the way it was filmed.. but also in the way the characters were presented (and portrayed) as well, not to mention the story itself. Just the right mix of drama, emotion, and even a touch of comedy. It truly is something special.

Ok..whew! Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.. ha. I feel better now. :D

We now return you to the other chats that are ongoing..

And PS: Ms. Favell.. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on Mildred Pierce. As you well know from our other conversations elsewhere online.. I have always maintained that Mildred more or less got what she deserved because she pretty much "created her own monster" with Veda. What a mess.

Mildred (and her husband too, for that matter) never gave Veda (or themselves) a fighting chance for her to grow into a decent human being. She was doomed to be a rotten monster from the very start.. just by the way she was worshiped, idolized, and indulged all her life. How could she turn out any other way? What a mess indeed.