WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
Rita Hayworth

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lomm wrote:
Rita Hayworth wrote:Yesterday, I watched three movies on TCM, they are ...

The Pride of the Yankees - 1942 Film centered on Lou Gehrig
The Three Musketeers - 1948 Film starring Gene Kelly and Lana Turner - It was a fun movie to watch!

Recorded off my DVR
The Glenn Miller Story - 1954 Movie that I just finished watching off of my DVR and its a great Musical that I dearly enjoyed seeing again ...
I know it's cheesy and all, but I just love Pride of the Yankees. It's one of my favorites. I haven't seen the Three Musketeers, and have added it to my Netflix queue. Glenn Miller story is of course great. Good choices! :)

Thanks Lomm. :)
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I have just completed a viewing of Schindler's List with my 15 yr old son. Such a wonderful tribute, and so very depressing. But worthwhile. I have only watched it twice (now), because it's just difficult. I thought it would be a valuable experience to share with him, since he's been studying WW2 and the holocaust. He's now on the internet learning more about Oskar Schindler.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

On Friday I watched "Arch of Triumph," (1948) directed by Lewis Milestone.

It was different. At times, it didn't even feel like a Hollywood film. Apparently the movie was four hours long and then it was cut down to about 2 hours plus.

I've never been a Charles Boyer fan, and that worked against the film for me. Ingrid Bergman was terrific as the doomed actress, but the guy who really made the film come alive for me was Louis Calhern as a Russian exile working as a doorman at a restaurant. I don't think I've ever seen Calhern give a dud performance.

The shadow of "Casablanca" hangs heavy over "Arch of Triumph." In a way, this movie is like the Paris interlude of "Casablanca" played as a real tragedy instead of a simple flashback. This isn't in the running for Milestone's best film for me, but it is pretty interesting, and I wonder how the movie was received. (It seems very "popular front" for the early Cold War.)
DavidLanceRoten

Post by DavidLanceRoten »

I watched a couple of John Wayne films with my Mom yesterday. Sons of Katie Elder and Big Jake. First time to see either. Both very good. I'm sure most have seen them, I'm a little late to the party on some movies :D
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I watched "Charade" (1963) directed by Stanley Donnen, this morning.

I couldn't really warm up to it. The dialogue seemed to be trying too hard to be funny, and I didn't sense a lot of chemistry between Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn.

What really stood out to me was Walter Matthau as the CIA agent. He was very funny and had a great rapport with Hepburn's character. His scenes were terrific. Hard to imagine, however, the direction his career would go from this movie.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

CHARADE is a likeable film, if not a great one. It's so romantic I want to move in with those two! The stars are the last word in charming. And yes, Matthau gives the best performance in the show.
Last edited by RedRiver on May 13th, 2014, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Lomm wrote:I have just completed a viewing of Schindler's List with my 15 yr old son. Such a wonderful tribute, and so very depressing. But worthwhile. I have only watched it twice (now), because it's just difficult. I thought it would be a valuable experience to share with him, since he's been studying WW2 and the holocaust. He's now on the internet learning more about Oskar Schindler.
That's GREAT! Who says movies can't teach you anything.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
DavidLanceRoten

Post by DavidLanceRoten »

Charade has my favorite actress in Audrey. Arguably my favorite actor in Cary. But yet it's not in my Top 100 or even 250 of all time. It's likable, as some others have said. But for me it doesn't "click" quite enough. :?
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I feel like I've been watching a different Charade than the rest of you. :lol: It's not my favorite movie of all time, no, but it's got my two favorite stars of all time, and I love it. I think the twists and turns and situations are terrific fun. I thought the leads had great chemistry and always wished they'd worked together more.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Lomm wrote:I have just completed a viewing of Schindler's List with my 15 yr old son. Such a wonderful tribute, and so very depressing. But worthwhile. I have only watched it twice (now), because it's just difficult. I thought it would be a valuable experience to share with him, since he's been studying WW2 and the holocaust. He's now on the internet learning more about Oskar Schindler.
Two other films he should see:
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Shoah especially seems very intriguing...but 9 hours is quite the investment. Whoa. I will watch that myself at some point but I don't know if I can get a 15 year old to watch that much of a documentary. :) Thanks for the recommendations!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched "A High Wind In Jamaica." I wasn't as thrilled with it as some of my reference books are. The plot has a band of pirates lead by Anthony Quinn and James Coburn take a group of children after one of their raids. The rest of the movie deals with the relationship with the kids and especially one young girl.

Pirates can have a heart. Quinn is quite good and the look of it all is fine but the ending is a little odd. The main youg girl was wonderful. Ultimately, I wan't as fond of it as I had hoped. I guess I was looking for something else or maybe I was just tired.

Anyone else seen it?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I did. I've never read the novel.

It was a decent print too.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

The other night I watched the egregiously erroneous historical fiction known as Cadillac Records. I'm a huge Blues music fan (and rockabilly, and so on), and thus I know a bit of the history of Chess records and the stars portrayed in this film. Timelines vastly twisted, events inserted that never happened (Little Walter shot and killed a man on the side of the road because he was impersonating him? Uh...no; he never killed anyone, for that matter. Baffling insert.), and just plain lousy storytelling. The only good things about the movie were the actors, some of whom seemed born to play the roles they were cast in, Howlin' Wolf especially. Do not recommend. :)