WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by feaito »

I watched "Tish" (1942) Moira and you were right, I did not expect so much and I had fun. The script is not good, but the actors featured are; they rise above the plot's contrivances some of the times and there are certain sequences and scenes that made me laugh. Aline's wry humor was very welcome! The film got sentimental sometimes, but it had some surprising moments, like Susan Peters' character's fate (how beautiful she was! to think that tragedy was around the corner in real life too...) Virginia Grey, what a doll! Lee Bowman, fine. But it's Marjorie Main, ZaSu Pitts, Guy Kibbee, Susan Peters and especially Aline Mac Mahon, who do their best with what they got. I'm happy I was able to watch all these B's during the course of this week.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

movieman1957 wrote:This is a favorite with "The Bride." She and Mo (the daughter) watch it often. Also in Baltimore every year they have a film festival in "Little Italy" and this is always shown. All the other films are also shown on the side of a building from someone's bedroom window. It is quite popular.
That sounds delightful, I love the idea of watching a movie projected on to the side of a building, pity it ended so badly in Cinema Paradiso, the film as a whole is very uplifting with marvellous performances by the leads. I think I prefer this version to the director's cut, the director's cut meanders a little.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

I watched a mildly amusing Collegiate romp "Life Begins in College" (1937) about a College Football team who makes good thanks to a new Native American player (Nat Pendleton- the best thing in the movie, although the treatment of his character seems quite politically incorrect by today's standards). Also in this movie are Tony Martin, singing some tunes, Joan Davis, in hot pursuit of Pendleton, Fred Stone as the Team's coach, Gloria Stuart, as his daughter and the zany Ritz Brothers, whose humor does not make me laugh. I could spot Elisha Cook Jr. and Lon Chaney Jr. in small roles.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

A few quickie reviews of movies I've managed to see during those times I'm not at work or studying:

*Looking for Mr. Goodbar was much better than I'd expected it to be. I'd wanted to see it mainly because, as a Tuesday Weld fan, I'd always wanted to check out the performance that earned her an Oscar nod. As it turns out, everyone in the movie is pretty good, including star Diane Keaton who'd have probably been Oscar-nominated for this film if Annie Hall hadn't been released the same year. Well-made and memorable but dark film with a lot to say about human nature and sexuality. (Vague, I know, but I don't have the time at the present to launch into a full analysis.)

*10 was OK - I enjoyed seeing another "dirty Julie Andrews" movie (it's funny just hearing her curse like a sailor), but it went on for too long and started to take itself way too seriously toward the end. I think Woody Allen handles this type of thing much better - addressing serious issues while still maintaining a light, wry touch. Bo Derek was beautiful but already at the start of her career proved herself a god-awful actress. I can't believe they couldn't have found another beautiful actress who could've played the part of the carefree goddess more convincingly.

*Eyes of Laura Mars was a lot of fun, even if I did figure out the mystery early on. I loved Faye Dunaway, who several years before Mommie Dearest gives a Joan Crawford-esque performance in this suspenseful, giallo-esque diversion.

*Finally, after a hellish week at the office around people who've been downright rude, I was glad to stumble upon Paul Bartel's Eating Raoul, which I'd seen before but remembered almost nothing about. But this film had me laughing out loud at some of the dialogue, largely because I could identify with the main characters' frustrations about people in general. At times it put me in mind of John Waters' films.

-Stephen
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

srowley75 wrote:I was glad to stumble upon Paul Bartel's Eating Raoul
I recently did a Paul Bartel mini-fest, watching Death Race 2000, Cannonball!, and Raoul. And because I couldn't get enough of him and Mary Woronov, I also watched Rock and Roll High School.
Bartel and Wornov reprise their Raoul characters in a cameo in Chopping Mall. Not a recommendation, mind you.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I'm delighted to find that there's another person who watches "10" and thinks of Woody Allen. I didn't see "10" when it first came out, but I think it is one of Edwards' top films, but it always makes me think of Woody Allen, if Allen had gone to California, I suppose.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Not sure if it's a Pre-Code or not so I'll post here. I have just finished watching First National's (WB) "A Lost Lady" (1934), a glossy Woman's picture that one would think it's nearer what MGM was producing at that time than Warner's; besides we have Barbara Stanwyck playing a socialite -for a change- and undergoing zillions of clothes changes...wearing the most elegant evening gowns by Orry-Kelly; really more like a Kay Francis layout! Stany plays a happy bride-to-be whose fiancé is shot by a jealous husband on the eve of their wedding. She has a breakdown and loses completely interest in everything, but in the near future three men will play important roles in her life (especially two): Frank Morgan, Ricardo Cortez and Lyle Talbot. A good picture, with fine performances (especially Stany and Morgan) which at less than 62 minutes of running time left me completely satisfied. The ideal runtime for a day of the week after a hard day of work!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am so starting to appreciate those movies, mostly pre-codes, in the 60 to 90 minute range. How tough is that, to write a completely satisfying story in that time? Bare to the bone essentials, and they seem to have a raw power that we don't get in today's overblown world.
feaito

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:I am so starting to appreciate those movies, mostly pre-codes, in the 60 to 90 minute range. How tough is that, to write a completely satisfying story in that time? Bare to the bone essentials, and they seem to have a raw power that we don't get in today's overblown world.
My exact feelings Wendy!
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

The Three Musketeers (1948)

A star studded cast, Lana Turner, Gene Kelly,June Allyson, Van Heflin, Angela Lansbury, Frank Morgan, Vincent Price, Keenan Wynn, Gig Young, should have made this a great show. It was a long movie, running for two hours five minutes and thirty seven seconds. One scene, where Constance (June Allyson) died in the arms of Dartagnan (Gene Kelly) brought me to tears. When a woman dies in the arms of her husband I am always reduced to tears.

The other two hours and four minutes of the movie was just boring BS.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

MichiganJ wrote:I recently did a Paul Bartel mini-fest, watching Death Race 2000, Cannonball!, and Raoul. And because I couldn't get enough of him and Mary Woronov, I also watched Rock and Roll High School.
Bartel and Wornov reprise their Raoul characters in a cameo in Chopping Mall. Not a recommendation, mind you.

I have a copy of Rock and Roll High School set aside to watch whenever I can finally get to it. And I was thinking I had Cannonball as well - I think it's one of the films Tarantino showed at the Alamo Drafthouse when he used to have his film festivals, and I've got a whole slew of those waiting for a marathon whenever I finally get to them.

And I've seen Chopping Mall, unfortunately. An hour and a half of my life down the toilet, though I was surprised to see Bartel and Woronov at the beginning.

Have you heard of the 24 hour horror marathon that takes place in Columbus every year? I guess they've done it for the past 3-4 years now. I've never been, but I think I'm going to try to go this year (it's in October). I can send you a link if you'd be interested.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

srowley75 wrote:Have you heard of the 24 hour horror marathon that takes place in Columbus every year? I guess they've done it for the past 3-4 years now. I've never been, but I think I'm going to try to go this year (it's in October). I can send you a link if you'd be interested.
I'm hoping to go for at least part of the marathon. Not everyday (or night) you get to see The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Warhol's Frankenstein on the big screen.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
feaito

Post by feaito »

I have just watched a pleasant comedy "The Perfect Gentleman" (1935) which teams Frank Morgan and Cicely Courtneidge in her only American picture. It's the first time I see Ms. Courtneidge on screen and it was a sheer delight. She's very funny, charming and charismatic. Morgan plays the carefree, irresponsible, eternally indebted father of a serious vicar (a stalwart Richard Waring) who's on the verge of being promoted as parson of an important Church by Milord Bishop (aptly played by Henry Stpehenson). He lives with a spinterish aunt (Morgan's bitter sister, played perfectly by dear Una O'Connor) and is going to married to beautiful, down-to-earth and unaffected Heather Angel....but his future is menaced by his father's shenanigans and his teaming with out-of-luck vaudeville performer, April Maye (Ms. Courtneidge). There are a couple of very funny scenes: a tea party in which Stephenson, O'Connor and Mary Forbes (as a stuffy British Lady) play the stiff-upper lip English expertly towards Morgan's sudden showing-up and "naughty", very funny comments and views. The other scene is an auction where Courtneidge and Morgan raise Cain! Very worthwhile film and an opportunity to check Cicely Courtneidge's huge talent as a comedienne.
Last edited by feaito on June 9th, 2011, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I recently did a Paul Bartel mini-fest, watching Death Race 2000
I saw Death Race 2000 -- which I think is some kind of satirical masterpiece and would make a great double bill with Network -- on a David Carradine double bill, at the Eastman House in Rochester, NY. ;) The second movie at the Eastman House screening was Deathsport, a Roger Corman-New World sci-fi post-apocalyptic concoction which is probably the opposite of masterpiece. And yet I love it for its supreme, sublime cheesiness. (I've watched both films more times than I can remember.) There was a novelization of Deathsport that filled in a lot of the gaps in the movie which isn't saying much. :)

Actually this would make a good triple bill as Deathsport is also, in part, about turning violent death into entertainment.

Deathsport trailer
[youtube][/youtube]

Two Deathsport lobby cards from My Collection. ;)