WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
Gary J.

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Gary J. »

This past week I saw MONEYBALL and KILLER ELITE at the local cineplex and thoroughly enjoyed both of them. MONEYBALL is fun and absorbing as it charts the business dealings behind the scenes of a modern day sports franchise. It's script (co-written by Aaron Sorkin) displays wit and candor at it tears off the veneer of the Great American Pastime, but it also shows it's love for the game. And I do love the game, but you don't need to be to get caught up in the rhythm of the film. It's filled with marvelous actors but it is Brad Pitts show all the way as Oakland A's GM Billy Beane, a former pro athlete with great potential who, for whatever reason, never made the grade in the Big Leagues and turned to the executive side of it. He is marvelous in it whether he is gently mentoring junior exec. Jonah Hill, firing up his players, going head to head with his veteran manager (Philip Seymour Hoffman) or just trying to be a divorced dad to his 12 yr. old daughter. There is a scene where the two of them are in a music store picking out a guitar when she confesses that she has written a song. Beane cajoles her to softly sing it to him right there in the store and, in what could had been a terribly mawkish scene for both actors, turns into an emotionally inspiring moment between the two of them. It helps that the young actress can carry a tune.

Go see this movie even if you don't care about baseball.

An even bigger revelation for me was KILLER ELITE, starring action star Jason Statham, Clive Owens and ample support from Robert De Niro. I was expecting a slam-bang, cartoonish Lethal Weapon-type flick and was greatly surprised that this was a more contemplative account of a squadron of British Special Forces unit (the SAS) performing questionable deeds during the Oman rebellion of the 70's and the repercussions afterwards. Statham and his team of mercenaries are coerced into finding and executing those British members who were involved in the assassination of the sons of an Oman emir, or his captured friend and mentor, De Niro, will be killed. The action is played more realistically and the characters are more nuanced than your typical action flick. There is also a lot of political back stabbing and, since it is set in the 1980's, everyone's portable cell phones are as big as a phone book. Statham and Owens continually face off against each other throughout but there are no real hero and villains here. Well, except bureaucrats and world leaders. And this movie has Robert De Niro, who, although he has taken a subordinate role in this movie, shines whenever he is on camera. He just keeps getting better with age.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I watched The Age of Innocence today 1935 directed by Phillip Moeller and starring Irene Dunne and John Boles. It's been years since I saw the Daniel Day Lewis version, to my memory this earlier version finished differently with Irene Dunne's character Ellen going to live out her life in Europe, Irene's character was more cheery than I remember Michelle Pfieffer's Ellen was. It was a pleasant version, the nicest thing were the costumes.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I saw the 2011 Terrence Malick film "The Tree of Life" Tuesday night.

I liked it. Normally I don't care for Malick's work, but I saw this one after I read a truly vicious attack on the film.

"Tree of Life" isn't for everyone. It is non-linear. It deals with three boys growing up in 1950s Texas, as remembered by a middle aged man. The film skips from subject to subject in a stream-of-consciousness way. It grapples with religious themes (namely how can we reconcile belief in grace with the American demand to become a success -- the conflict making the father miserable) in a way that most American films ignore or tiptoe around. The film is fair to all its characters. Brad Pitt is terrific as the father.

Like I said, not for everyone. I liked the film. On my way out of the theater I heard people complain that "That's two-and-a-half hours of my life I'll never have again" and "That's the worst movie I've ever seen!"
feaito

Post by feaito »

movieman1957 wrote:On a side note I just looked up "The Constant Nymph" on imdb and whose review is showing. From June 2005 you share your thoughts grandly as always. How did you get to see it?

BTW, the second disc of "Upstairs, Downstairs" will be here next week so she is just getting started on this show.
Thank you Chris :D I got The Constant Nymph and Letty Lynton from a private American Collector called Bob, who's been selling all kinds of rare films for many years on the net. I shared both with many friends and TCN left a huge impression on me at the time, becoming one of my fave films along with Portrait of Jennie and Letter from an Unknown Woman, all very touching.

I'm looking forward to your comments on UD!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday, I watched "Bitter Victory" (1956) directed by Nick Ray.

(By the way, the new biography of Ray by Patrick McGilligan is simply terrific. I really found it fascinating.)

Anyway, I had mixed feelings about "Bitter Victory." I found the film a bit disjointed, with a lot of unnecessary cuts that prevented the action from flowing. I also think that Richard Burton will never be one of my favorite actors. The film really stacked the deck against the Curt Jurgens character, BUT I found the last scene of the film incredibly powerful. I'm glad I watched this one.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"The Big Lift" is a film that starts out as a documentary-like treatment of the Berlin Airlift. It stars Montgomery Clift and Paul Douglas and a host of real service members. Clift and Douglas are part of an air crew that make regular stops in Berlin after the war. Clift shortly after receiving a gift from a local lady becomes involved with her. The story takes a long and at times unneeded detour of their story. However, their pairing does have its interesting parts.

Too long and some off the track diversions don't help but it is a does a good job of being a showcase for Berlin and all its postwar destruction. It has some fine aerial footage and a realistic feel for the airlift.

It's okay but nothing to get excited about. It looks like it is available on imdb
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, Chris... it's no big deal, but the charm of Clift and Douglas are worth watching.

Douglas has become one of my very favorite actors. There's just something about him I adore.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Paul's waiting for you in the library, JF......

Last edited by knitwit45 on October 2nd, 2011, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Wendy, have you seen "The Solid Gold Cadillac"? I would guess you have but it is one of my favorite roles of Douglas'.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I haven't seen that one... I keep meaning to, but I somehow miss it every time.

Knitty - I can't see Paul at all. Just the word image. I updated everything I can think of, but I still can't see it. Is he naked? :shock: :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I watched THE SUN ALSO RISES last night. How is it I had never seen this film before? Henry King. Hemingway. Power and Flynn together. Unfortunately, I hadn't missed much. Nobody does contemplative anguish like Henry King. Thanks to his commitment to detail, the movie is intriguing enough to keep you watching. But it's not exciting, not pleasant, not recommended.

THE SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO is better. Faster paced, more fun. Some well placed flashbacks keep the story alive. Fans of the book may be appalled, but I haven't read it. Truth is, I'm more a fan of King than of Hemingway. That may be the problem!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"The Big Lift"

Isn't there a movie where Robert Mitchum and a bad guy are on a ski lift? I guess this is not the one!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

JackFavell wrote:I haven't seen that one... I keep meaning to, but I somehow miss it every time.
Well, you can watch it on Wed Nov. 9 at 10pm or I can get it to a mailbox near you.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll take a look!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

hey, Jacks, does he show up now? I TOLD him to put some clothes on...... :shock: