WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks for throwing Joe in there, Maven! He did do a couple westerns, BTW. But he's definitely not a cowboy household name. :D :D

Movieman Chris, I really loved the ending of Whirlpool - I caught that part on Jack Holt's day, but luckily got it recorded too. I was confused because I thought Jean was having an affair with Jack, not that he was her father. I thought that both of them were first rate, and liked the movie a lot - I didn't think it was that far-fetched, but maybe I missed something. Now to go back and find out!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Did anyone record Dorothy Arzner's NANA last night/in wee hours of the morning?

If so, can we play Let's Make a Deal?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Say JackaaaAaay, I'm tickled that you caught my little nod to your boy...and to you! :)

I've seen a couple of films lately:"ROPE OF SAND" "SABOTAGE" and "THE HOUSE ON 92nd STREET" In fact, with just finishing "...92nd Street" I think I'll head uptown right now to see if I can see that "house." Oh, according to Eddie Muller, they actually filmed a house on 93rd Street.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

ChiO wrote:Did anyone record Dorothy Arzner's NANA last night/in wee hours of the morning?

If so, can we play Let's Make a Deal?
I'd like to get in on the game as well. I meant to record this one, but fell asleep.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

JackFavell wrote: Movieman Chris, I really loved the ending of Whirlpool - I caught that part on Jack Holt's day, but luckily got it recorded too. I was confused because I thought Jean was having an affair with Jack, not that he was her father. I thought that both of them were first rate, and liked the movie a lot - I didn't think it was that far-fetched, but maybe I missed something. Now to go back and find out!
Let me know what you think after you watch it all. You have an interesting take on their relationship because that is what everyone else thought.

SPOILERS

I was conflicted about the ending. On the one hand it seems almost admirable that he would kill somebody to maintain his/their secret but that is also what bothers me about it. I think even Jean would be conflicted about knowing her father murdered someone. On the other hand it finally made her mother's marriage legal.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll try to watch tomorrow morning. Now I'm more curious than ever!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I watched So Evil My Love with Ann Todd, I thought she was perfect in this film and was convincing as the missionary's wife who falls in love with a conman, the conman is played by Ray Milland, I couldn't really see the attraction she has for him, for me Milland can be hit and miss as a romantic figure. The story was good, if a little predictable, it passed a pleasant 2 hours.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Count me as another person keen on "So Evil My Love" (1948) and Ann Todd; she has been a revelation for me, especially due to this film and the sublime "The Seventh Veil" (1945). The British rock!! I've discovered many excellent films lately thanks to all ther recommendations and reviews of fellow SSO members, including you: "The Captain's Paradise", "Gone to Earth", "Queen of Spades", "The Heart of the Matter", "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp", "A Canterbury Tale", "Dead of Night" et al.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I watched "Executive Suite" (1954) which was released in Chile as "La Torre de los Ambicisiosos" (The Tower of the Ambitious) and I had a great evening!

It's indeed a magnificent film directed masterfully by Robert Wise (sans a musical score, which is quite unique). It tackles a subject that is timeless: politics and power shifts within a company; the eternal struggle between profits-gained-no-matter-how, even forsaking quality and the company's "mystic", and business ethics.

IMO, few castings have been as smart and precise as this film's: It indeed has a FIRST rate cast and perfectly assembled. I bet this one must be high on Mongo’s list due to Barbara Stanwyck’s great performance.

The sudden death of an important businessman (Avery Burrell) who's the president of a company, causes a fierce struggle for its control. There are five VP in Tredway (the company's name): Old reliable Walter Pidgeon (AB’s right hand); VP in charge of production, honest, down-to-earth, unassuming Dean Jagger; young and independent Bill Holden, whose personality and character resembles AB when he was younger, married to devoted June Allyson; VP in charge of sales Paul Douglas, a basically good man with feet of clay, due to the fact that he carries an affair with his secretary Shelley Winters, who gives an outstanding performance; opportunist and suave Louis Calhern, who has dumb and young wife; and ambitious, mercenary, uppity Fredric March, in a brilliantly unpleasant performance, who’s VP in charge of Finances .

Besides Shelley Winters and June Allyson, there are two important women -in AB’s life-: Nina Foch, superb as his super-efficient and devoted secretary –we’re led to believe she’s also his current lover or at least she’s in love with him and the grand Barbara Stanwyck, amazing as the daughter of the original owner of the company who was madly in love with AB, who’s suffering from a deep depression due to AB’s neglect while he was alive and her own frustrations and demons (including her dad’s suicide). Her scene with Bill Holden towards the end is short but both powerful and moving, especially when one remembers that Holden got his break in Golden Boy thanks to Stany, who co-starred with him in it and was always grateful to her for that….one can truky feel that she could fall for Holden’s character…she sees AB in him…

The final scene were the new President is being elected is one of the greatest sequences ever filmed, with a superb speech by Bill Holden, which summarizes what companies are all about, even today!

Superb!!!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

feaito,

I glad you like Executive Suite ... as you know I watched it a week ago and I love it too!
feaito

Post by feaito »

I also revisited "Go West Young Man", a minor Mae West film in which Warren Williams shines as her cynical press-agent (one of her weakest entries and apparently very butchered).

And I saw two films on youtube:

The brilliant "Dead of Night" (1945) -thanks for posting the link here at SSO- with an amazing script, cast and direction. I was completely absorbed by it during its whole duration. Clever, clever, clever. Hooray for British films!

"Suez" (1938) Forget about historical accuracy and enjoy Loretta Young's beauty and gowns as Empress Eugenie, Annabella's tomboyish charm and Tyrone Power's dashing impersonation of Ferdinand de Lesseps (who wasn't dashing and young around this time of his life and who neither had any romance with Eugenie). Worthwhile for its beautiful cinematography, high production values and special effects.
feaito

Post by feaito »

kingme wrote:feaito,

I glad you like Executive Suite ... as you know I watched it a week ago and I love it too!
Of course Kingme. in fact your review encouraged me to watch it before other films pending in my pipeline :wink:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

kingrat wrote:I'm also fond of SO EVIL MY LOVE. There may have been more discussion of it in a thread on Ray Milland when he was Star of the Month earlier this year.
I'll go and check it out.

I watched Break of Hearts today, not a hit in it's time but it should have been having Katharine Hepburn and Charles Boyer in the leads, her as a budding composer and he as a famous conducter and seducer of women. The storyline is quite mature, he philanders but loves her, she leaves him and then decides that she loves him despite his flaws. Katharine Hepburn being a strong screen presence doesn't always have great chemistry with her leading men but she's kittenish here with Boyer.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin