Young Frankenstein
Avanti
Frenzy
A Clockwork Orange
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Mr. Arkadin

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I don't know how to pick only ten seventies films, but here's a few I always enjoy:

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976)
Hardcore (1979)
Aguirre, The Wrath of God (1973)
Stalker (1979)
Small Change (1976)
Claire's Knee (1970)
The Long Goodbye (1973)
Murphy's War (1971)
Seven Notes in Black (1977)
Cross of Iron (1976)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

There, Ark, you found the obvious one I left off -- Aguirre, The Wrath of God.

The '70s was loaded with fine films, and some of them weren't even directed by Allen, Cassavetes, Coppola or Scorsese.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow! So many good movies from the 70's I forgot! I love how everyone's list is kind of representative of their own unique personality.

And I can't believe I forgot Blazing Saddles and The Poseidon Adventure (which is pure schlock but the best pure schlock and I love it).

I am curious what makes ChiO pick Play It Again Sam and Mike pick Love and Death? Simply what makes you laugh? Manhattan had such a great reputation for a long while but seems out of favor now and I see no one picked it. For me, Stardust Memories and Annie Hall were the best films, but if I truly had to pick a favorite Allen film, it would be Purple Rose of Cairo, it is my all time favorite outside of the seventies. Take the Money and Run is my second favorite, with Radio Days in 3rd.

Nan, I LOVED The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel! it was a great movie, no reservations about it. The cast! My gosh how fantastic to get these folks together.... and no one playing stereotype or the same role they always play. It was great to see them switching off for a little different spin on each of these "types". People in the audience clapped at the end. Best of all was the extremely intelligent script, it made the film so much better than I was expecting. it was matched by the vibrant, quick paced and decidedly un-maudlin direction by John Madden. Those critics who damned with faint praise, saying that the film was "feel good" (the death knell); or "programmatical" with "inevitable outcomes" were foolish. I think we all know that familiar stories can still make great movies and no critic out and out said they didn't like it. Frankly I found the movie still held me completely, for I felt that it wasn't the "what's going to happen?" as much as "how will it play out?". This one was really well done - there is nothing wrong with a simple story perfectly played.

On a different note, what really impressed me most about Dog Day Afternoon this time through was the editing. Dede Allen (and of course Sidney Lumet) was genius at providing a rhythm for the film, making it feel so real and alive and raw and unexpected, as if time were flowing by and Sonny is unable to get it back. The improvisational aspects were great, since that is what Sonny has to do as each lightning decision of his goes horribly wrong. It was unpredictable, which kept me watching till 2 AM even though I have my own copy. Allen and Lumet slow the pace down almost unbearably toward the end as night falls and the A/C and lights are shut off....then on to the end. The tone changes imperceptibly about the time of Chris Sarandon's scene. Also, though I am sure that others have said this many times - John Cazale = brilliant.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Oh, an early Woody Allen discussion.

I enjoy everything between "Take The Money and Run" and "Annie Hall." They are wild, crazy and sometimes just silly. The same things that I love about the Marx Brothers. "Love and Death" may be the least shown and, dare I say, under appreciated of that time. I love the part where his uncle (or whomever) saved his whole life to buy a small piece of land. Sure enough, it's about the size of a cereal bowl.

I like "Radio Days" and "Purple Rose" but they have a different flavor to them. After that I'm not so fond of them. I hate to think I'm part of the crowd he complains about in "Stardust Memories" but maybe I am. Oh, should anyone get a chance you should see "Zelig" if only for the trick photography of it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think you are right about Love and Death being underappreciated. It's really a hoot if you ask me.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I am curious what makes ChiO pick Play It Again Sam and Mike pick Love and Death? Simply what makes you laugh?
I'm absolutely convinced that if someone says X is his or her favorite drama, and one disagrees as to its merits, a cool and calm discussion can be had and, perhaps, a mind changed -- but even if not, each person can understand the other's position. With comedy, however, if someone doesn't find it funny, it's pretty difficult even to get that person to accept that anyone it in right mind could conceivably find it even mildly amusing.

PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM (yes, I know Woody didn't direct it) just hits all the right spots for me. I like ANNIE HALL a lot (I still tear up where I hear, "But we need the eggs.") and I probably laugh harder during it, but PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM has me smiling and laughing and nodding throughout. When it was released, I saw it five times within two months or so...then at every opportunity at revival theaters. She bought it!, with that goofy look still cracks me up. And what guy doesn't want to be Bogart? A film critic wanting to be Bogie! Perfect!

And it is so Noir:

Woman in Museum: It restates the negativeness of the universe. The hideous lonely emptiness of existence. Nothingness. The predicament of Man forced to live in a barren, Godless eternity like a tiny flame flickering in an immense void with nothing but waste, horror and degradation, forming a useless bleak straitjacket in a black absurd cosmos.
Allan: What are you doing Saturday night?
Woman in Museum: Committing suicide.
Allan: What about Friday night?

That's hilarious!

Or a line I use whenever the possibility of rain arises in a conversation:

Allan: I love the rain - it washes memories off the sidewalk of life.

I started sketching out a film class that would be called Boys Will Be Boys...And Men Will Be, Too. The partial line-up: DINER, PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM, HIGH FIDELITY, HUSBANDS. I ran it by Mrs. ChiO, she rolled her eyes and asked, And why do you think anymore would want to watch movies that are just about you? Oh, well.
Also, though I am sure that others have said this many times - John Cazale = brilliant.
That is one of those statements that cannot be made often enough. Note that I had three of his films in my Top 5. If hearing him say "Wyoming" in DOG DAY AFTERNOON doesn't explain everything in Life and bring a tear to your eye, you have no Soul.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think because Woody wrote it, we can forgive that he didn't direct Play It Again, Sam.

I LOVE your idea of Boys Night Out movies! Great choices, I must say.
That is one of those statements that cannot be made often enough. Note that I had three of his films in my Top 5. If hearing him say "Wyoming" in DOG DAY AFTERNOON doesn't explain everything in Life and bring a tear to your eye, you have no Soul.
I couldn't agree more. I'm choking up just thinking about it.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

In "Bananas" I love the consummation of the marriage scene with "Wide World Of Sports" in attendance. Howard Cosell could be funny for a moment.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's a hilarious scene.... I always think Howard had a funny side.

No comments please.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I just don't know Woody Allen movies that well, I think I've only seen Annie Hall and Manhattan, both of which I love, I'll have to put some on the rental list.

I watched a New Wave flavour movie today Petulia starring Julie Christie and George C Scott, it grabbed my attention straight away when Petulia propostions Archie and they dissappear to this parking lot come hotel rooms, at this point I wondered if I had picked up a futuristic movie, maybe this was a piece of fancy because the film got back on a track I could understand and follow and kept revealing bits of information in flashbacks to understand what is happening in the present. Petulia backs out of her initial assignation with Archie only to get a tuba and a broken rib, then to appear so kookie and annoying to getting beneath his skin and the affair ensues then he discovers her beaten up in his apartment. The person who assaulted her, her husband played by Richard Chamberlain. The relationship played out between Scott and Christie is unusual and keeps you guessing all the way through, initially she seems to need him but the dymancis change, I'm going to have to watch it through again, the chemistry of the leads being very good and a cameo appearance by Joseph Cotten worth seeing.

A completely different change of tack, yesterday I watched Follow The Boys my first experience of a Hollywood emsemble war film, I was impressed, this has a story between dancer George Raft and film star Vera Zorina who meet and get married and then when war gets declared Tony West/Raft goes off to organise the stars for the troops and loses sight of his wife who will not tell him she is pregnant. The cast of stars doing their bit is worth watching, Jeanette MacDonald, Donald O'Connor, Peggy Garner, WC Fields and my favourites Marlene Dietrich getting sawed in half by the scene stealing Orson Welles.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Almost missed the favorite 70s lists (should it have its own thread?) but, for what it's worth, here are some of my favorites, which I didn't see already listed. (Way more than 10, but who's counting?)

Straw Dogs
French Connection
Monty Python & Holy Grail/Life of Brian
Alien
The Last Waltz
Man Who Fell to Earth
The Exorcist
Day For Night
Jaws
Apocalypse Now
Cries and Whispers
American Graffiti
Carrie
Suspiria

The Outlaw Josie Wales
King Kong
(I keeed, I keeed)
Nosferatu
The Kids Are Alright
Obscure Object of Desire
The Wicker Man
The Deer Hunter
Marriage of Marie Braun
Dawn of the Dead
Being There
The Conversation

For Woody, I love all of his 70s films, but Love and Death is by far my favorite. The quote I always use comes from Sleeper, "Hey, nobody touches my brain; they may drop it. Then I'll talk like Mr. Lepidus who was struck by lightning."
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Tell me what is wrong with me. When I watch "1776" I skip through the songs. I've seen it twice and I really like the drama but the songs get in the way.

I'm going to hell, aren't I?
Chris

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

MichiganJ wrote:Almost missed the favorite 70s lists (should it have its own thread?)
Yes. I could easily name a hundred seventies movies I enjoy--why should it stop at ten?