WHAT FOREIGN FILMS HAVE YOU WATCHED LATELY?

LostHorizons

Re: WHAT FOREIGN FILMS HAVE YOU WATCHED LATELY?

Post by LostHorizons »

Arsan444 wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 8:25 pm
LostHorizons wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 2:31 pm Los que volvierons (1948)- Mexican remake of Five Came Back. Pretty meh. Wouldn’t recommend
i agree it's not a very good movie, heavy-handed at times, but I think I liked it a bit more than you did. Now I would like to see Five Came Back, a movie I've never seen.
I couldn't help thinking of La Sociedad de la Nieve, a movie I'd like to watch this weekend.
You may as well have already seen it because many parts of Los que Volvierons are shot for shot from Five Came Back. Reall, the intro scene with the criminal hold up and the airport are the only significant changes.
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

Fata Morgana by Vicente Aranda stars Spanish actress Teresa Gimpera, real life wife of American actor Craig Hill. It takes place in a recognizable future (depicted by a deserted Barcelona) that's had some undescribed disaster. A shady scientist proposes a method of predicting murder based on his theory that a percentage of people are destined to be victims. There are elements of comic book imagery and science fiction that run through the story.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

The Slave (1962)- low quality Zorro knock off set in Rome. Ends rather abruptly with a gathered crowd simply asking the Romans to not crucify Spartacus whom the centurions oblige for some reason. Talk about anticlimactic!

The Cranes are Flying (1957)- weak drama film about wwii though with beautiful visual effects. Woman loves soldier who gives his life fighting Nazis though she ends up marrying coward who bribed his way out of the fighting. Very critical of draft dodgers. This film wasn’t for me.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Innocent Voices is a very good 2004 Mexican film by Luis Mandoki about a young boy growing up in a poor tiny village in El Salvador during its civil war.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

LostHorizons wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 9:04 pm
Arsan444 wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 8:25 pm
LostHorizons wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 2:31 pm Los que volvierons (1948)- Mexican remake of Five Came Back. Pretty meh. Wouldn’t recommend
i agree it's not a very good movie, heavy-handed at times, but I think I liked it a bit more than you did. Now I would like to see Five Came Back, a movie I've never seen.
I couldn't help thinking of La Sociedad de la Nieve, a movie I'd like to watch this weekend.
You may as well have already seen it because many parts of Los que Volvierons are shot for shot from Five Came Back. Reall, the intro scene with the criminal hold up and the airport are the only significant changes.
I know! I was amazed by this too. The location inserts and miniatures are lifted from the US original. I think I did a back-to-back mini-review of the two versions on the old TCM boards.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Haider (2014) Hindi This appears to be political thriller with all the trappings therein, set during the Kashmir skirmished of '95. Haider is of the Resistance and is duly concerned with that, until that is, he becomes obsessed with the death of his father and the story morphs nearly imperceptible at first into an adaptation into Shakespeare's Hamlet. Slowly but surely some of the most well-known events of the play are played out (the movie is quite a bit along before these appear) within the backdrop. There is nothing theatrical about it, it still plays out as a thriller. It seems quite unique in this. It could be said that it is a hybrid. It's effective the way these famous scenes are woven into the screenplay, with one necessary mention.. The play-within-a-play is a musical set piece that is one of the most moving scenes ever for me. The cast overall might be termed as handsome in every respect, with a special signaling out of Haider, and Haider's mother, this latter giving a stunning performance.

//
Chicago 1930 ; illustration from the paperback book jacket of The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow, published 1953
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

La Sociedad de la Nieve (Society of the Snow). Dir. J. A. Bayona. With Enzo Vogrincic, Matías Recalt. 2023. Spain.

Excellent movie. Bayona avoids sensationalism and treats the story and its characters with respect and dignity. The result is a powerful, harrowing, and humane film about strength, teamwork, sacrifice, and survival. Not an easy movie to watch, but recommended.
Last edited by Arsan444 on June 10th, 2024, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When in doubt, have another one.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

El Buen Patrón (The Good Boss). Dir. Fernando León de Aranoa. With Javier Bardem. Comedy. 2021. Spain

Determined to win an excellence award, the owner of a business that manufactures scales tries to resolve any problems that arise in the factory. Balance is everything to him, even if the results are not what he expected.
Excellent comedy, with a clever script, and well directed by Aranoa. Javier Bardem is outstanding as the businessman that has to deal with disgruntled employees, layoffs, blackmail, and adultery. The supporting cast is fine, especially Manolo Solo, and Sonia Almarcha.
When in doubt, have another one.
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Kidnapped: The Abduction of Edgardo Mortara (2023) The true account of a six-year-old Jewish boy, who in 1858 was taken from his family by Papal authorities because the boy was secretly baptized without his parents consent, is told in melodramatic, and times surrealistic flourishes, and painterly images, by Marco Bellocchio. The movie is not very subtle, nor should it be. The religious themes are woven with Italy’s struggle to form a republic, and free itself from Papal hegemony.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

I am so glad that TCM showed THE BAND'S VISIT. Although I haven't seen the musical, I love the score. David Yazbek seems like the best Broadway composer since Sondheim. [Some spoilers below.] If you know the musical, you'll spot the song cues: "Papi Hears the Ocean," "Omar Sharif."

The film achieves a mythic quality, like the great Isak Dinesen stories "Babette's Feast" (turned into a good film) and "The Immortal Story" (turned into a mediocre film, with a botched punchline). A misunderstanding that leads to a high rise housing project in the middle of nowhere. Egyptians and Israelis having to communicate in broken English. A woman who falls for a man who will never forget her, but because he will not say the word, she sleeps with another.