Robert Ryan Biographer J.R. Jones To Visit 7/10 & 7/11

Past chats with our guests.
moira finnie
Administrator

Robert Ryan Biographer J.R. Jones To Visit 7/10 & 7/11

Post by moira finnie »

On Friday, July 10, and Saturday, July 11, we are looking forward to talking with J.R. Jones, author of THE LIVES OF ROBERT RYAN. Notice the plural in the title: This new biography deals with both the public and private lives of the great film actor Robert Ryan.
Robert Ryan never became a star of the magnitude of Cary Grant or Humphrey Bogart, but most lovers of classic film come to admire his work, whether he's playing the hero or the villain, the leading man or a supporting actor. Some of his best films, like ACT OF VIOLENCE and ON DANGEROUS GROUND, let him play aspects of both the villain and the hero in the same role.

Ryan excelled in a variety of genres. Film noir was a great fit for him, but westerns like THE NAKED SPUR and THE PROFESSIONALS also showcased his talent well. And then there's Ryan in domestic melodrama (CLASH BY NIGHT), Ryan in romantic drama (ABOUT MRS. LESLIE), Ryan in serious drama (THE ICEMAN COMETH). On stage he played Shakespeare's Coriolanus.

J.R. Jones is an award-winning film critic and editor for the Chicago Review, and his writing has appeared in many publications, from New York Press to Kenyon
Review to Noir City. He did an outstanding job of introducing ON DANGEROUS GROUND at the Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival in Palm Springs this May, and as SSO member kingrat can attest, he enjoys chatting with fans about our classic films.

What would you like to know about Robert Ryan? How he got interested in acting, what his favorite films were, how his politics affected his career? Unlike most
Hollywood stars, he was only married once, and the marriage lasted until his wife Jessica died of cancer.

J.R. Jones has written an informative, easy-to-read biography which I strongly recommend. It should be a lot of fun to talk with him about Robert Ryan."

Below are links to explore this essential biography:

JR Jones published interview:

http://chicagoist.com/2015/05/21/jrjone ... _rober.php

JR Jones video interview:

[youtube][/youtube]

JR Jones publisher's site:

http://www.upne.com/0819573728.html
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Re: Robert Ryan Biographer J.R. Jones To Visit 7/10 & 7/11

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I'm so excited about J. R. Jones' visit. I can't wait. Thank you, kingrat, for arranging this visit. :)
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Rats! We're out-of-town this weekend for NYC, leaving the house at about 4am on Thursday.

Is there a person or place to send or post my questions before then?

We hosted a dinner for him and Lisa Ryan aka Mook (and a few others) at our home when there was an event in town for the biography (which is GREAT, I might add - the last two chapters had me in tears), and I promised him that I had questions saved that I wouldn't burden him with in a social setting.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

ChiO,

Sad that you are going to be out of town because this one is right up your alley (and Dewey's)!

PM the questions to me and I will be sure they get posted!!!!

Have a great time in NYC!!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Love Robert Ryan's films. Look forward to the interview.
I was always surprised that Robert had appeared in a musical on Broadway,MR PRESIDENT. Was that a good experience for him and how was his singing voice?
Thank you.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I will be out of town on Saturday, but I could managed to ask a few questions on Friday - it would be a tall order to fill.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Vienna wrote:Love Robert Ryan's films. Look forward to the interview.
I was always surprised that Robert had appeared in a musical on Broadway,MR PRESIDENT. Was that a good experience for him and how was his singing voice?
Thank you.
Vienna, you can ask J.R. Jones yourself when he visits, starting tomorrow. If you won't be around for that, we will be glad to ask for you.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Moira, grateful if you could post my question . Thank you.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Vienna wrote:Moira, grateful if you could post my question . Thank you.
Will do, Vienna! If interested, you can hear Mr. Ryan singing the finale from this musical here (there are more selections from this album on youtube too)

[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks