2023 TCM Film Festival

HoldenIsHere

Re: 2023 TCM Film Festivalwa

Post by HoldenIsHere »

speedracer5 wrote: December 11th, 2022, 1:00 pm
I can't wait until we start getting more updates about the festival. I'm looking forward to March when the schedule is released. My husband and I will have to work together to make the tough decisions. He is not as much of a classic film fanatic as I am, but he does enjoy the films and knows who the stars are and even has his own favorites. We're going to stick together throughout the whole festival, so our final schedule will be an exercise in teamwork and compromise, lol. I already told him that if for whatever reason "The Long Long Trailer" (my #1 favorite movie ever) is playing, I don't care what is scheduled against it, we are seeing it. That is one of my dreams, to see this movie in the theater.
Yeah, I'm waiting to see more updates on the movies and guests that are scheduled before making a decision about attending this year's festival.
I've wanted to attend one for a while.

I am excited to see that a screening of the 4K restoration of EAST OF EDEN has already been announced.

Seeing James Dean on the "big screen" in CinemaScope would be amazing!

speedracer5

Re: 2023 TCM Film Festival

Post by speedracer5 »

umop apisdn wrote: December 12th, 2022, 9:59 am
speedracer5 wrote: December 11th, 2022, 1:00 pm I already told him that if for whatever reason "The Long Long Trailer" (my #1 favorite movie ever) is playing, I don't care what is scheduled against it, we are seeing it. That is one of my dreams, to see this movie in the theater.
You may be in for some luck. Warner Archive is releasing The Long, Long Trailer on Blu-ray in January 2023. They often screen restorations at the film festival.

WAC released Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1931) in October 2022 and it has already been announced that it will be featured in 2023. The new restorations of Giant and A Star is Born (1937) debuted at the 2022 festival and were released later in 2022.

I hope you get your wish! :)
Thank you! I saw that Warner Archive was releasing The Long Long Trailer. I'm so excited. It's about time. That is a Day 1 purchase for me for sure. I wore out 2 VHS of the movie in the 90s and I'm on my second DVD! I will keep my fingers crossed about 'Trailer' showing at the TCMFF. Last year with the release of Being the Ricardos (which I refuse to watch) and Amy Poehler's fantastic Amazon documentary, Lucy & Desi, there seemed to have been a bit of an I Love Lucy/Lucille Ball/Desi Arnaz revival. I also read that I Love Lucy is going to be released on blu ray. I already have the entire series, including the 13 episodes of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour. The DVDs look really good and have a lot of great bonus features, so the blu rays would have to be spectacular for me to consider upgrading.

The 1931 Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde is excellent. I prefer that one to the 1941 version with Spencer Tracy. The pre-code version will definitely be on my lsit of movies to see, unless there's something really awesome (like The Long Long Trailer) scheduled against it. Something would have to be absolutely spectacular for me to miss The Long Long Trailer, if it's scheduled of course.

Even though I already purchased a copy and even have it autographed, it'd be really neat if Nancy Olson was there to promote her autobiography. I will probably prioritize specific films/events for older actors I like if they're there, like Ann Blyth, Kim Novak, Dick Van Dyke, Mel Brooks, Nancy Olson, Eva Marie Saint...

I'm just so excited about the festival and am getting antsy waiting for more details, lol. I know that I for sure what to attend at least one pool screening and one midnight screening. I'm sure the announced "Batwoman" will be a midnight movie and I'm here for a Mexican female-led Batman movie where Batwoman fights crime in a cape and bikini--that sounds completely ridiculous and awesome for a movie that starts at midnight.

Of the announced movies, I would definitely see Casablanca, even though I've seen it in the theater four times. Seeing Casablanca at Grauman's in the famous theater would be amazing. If it's only in one of the little multiplex theaters or something, I could probably be persuaded to make a different choice depending on what else is scheduled. I just saw Shadow of a Doubt in the theater a few months ago. East of Eden would be really neat. I've seen James Dean in "Rebel Without a Cause" in the theater. I don't really care about Rio Bravo, but would see it, especially if someone like Angie Dickinson was there. I don't really care about the silent Hunchback of Notre Dame. If I were going to a silent film, I'd rather see a comedy. But I would go to 'Hunchback' because I want to fit in at least one of the big silent movie experiences as well. I don't really care about American Graffiti either, but if a bunch of the film's stars: Ron Howard, Richard Dreyfuss, Cindy Williams, Harrison Ford... were there, I would be more interested.

We'll see what happens. I plan to get my money's worth and try to see/do as much as I can during the 3.5 days.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:33 am
speedracer5 wrote: December 11th, 2022, 1:00 pm
I can't wait until we start getting more updates about the festival. I'm looking forward to March when the schedule is released. My husband and I will have to work together to make the tough decisions. He is not as much of a classic film fanatic as I am, but he does enjoy the films and knows who the stars are and even has his own favorites. We're going to stick together throughout the whole festival, so our final schedule will be an exercise in teamwork and compromise, lol. I already told him that if for whatever reason "The Long Long Trailer" (my #1 favorite movie ever) is playing, I don't care what is scheduled against it, we are seeing it. That is one of my dreams, to see this movie in the theater.
Yeah, I'm waiting to see more updates on the movies and guests that are scheduled before making a decision about attending this year's festival.
I've wanted to attend one for a while.

I am excited to see that a screening of the 4K restoration of EAST OF EDEN has already been announced.

Yeah. I wish that there were more details about the films. I am excited about East of Eden too. I would probably go see that one, unless something else super awesome is scheduled against it. I've seen Rebel Without a Cause in the theater before. I used to find Julie Harris' character kind of annoying in East of Eden, but on my last viewing, she kind of grew on me. I now find Aron super annoying because it's obvious that the actor's acting talent is just not up there with Dean and Harris.

The Essential pass is already sold out. My husband and I are going all out and went with the Spotlight. I'm worried that we set the bar too high if we decide to go a second time. If we start with the best experience, how can we do something lesser? Lol. My husband wanted the Spotlight pass because he wanted to do a meet and greet with the hosts, especially Alicia Malone, and he also wanted to be able to do everything at the festival. I also wanted these things, but I'll admit that I was most excited about the idea of not waiting in line. Lol!

I'm also hoping that I'll be able to schedule a WB Studio Classics tour on one of the 3.5 days we'll be there before the festival. We're flying out Monday the 17th and I'd be willing to pick a flight to accommodate the studio tour if I need to. Flights to Portland are only 2.5 hours, so no big deal.

Our trip is going to be 4/9-4/17. So far, we're planning on spending 2 days at the beach, and 3 days in LA before the festival. I'm going to make a dinner reservation for the Formosa Cafe and I made a reservation for Musso & Frank's. We're also planning on making a reservation at a Oaxacan Mexican restaurant in Koreatown that is known for their molé. We also hope to go to the Los Angeles Zoo, Pink's hot dog stand, Larry Edmunds Bookstore (which is amazing), possibly Griffith Observatory (I told my husband that we should pretend to be in a knife fight a la Rebel Without a Cause, lol) and Amoeba Music (which is an amazing store). I'm also keeping my eye on the Joel McCrea Ranch. I'd love to visit there, but you only can go there if they're having an event. I don't really need to go to the Academy Museum, we went there last year. But I would go there if they had an amazing new exhibit. So much to do in LA and so little time. LOL.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

speedracer5 wrote: December 13th, 2022, 8:07 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:33 am

Yeah. I wish that there were more details about the films. I am excited about East of Eden too. I would probably go see that one, unless something else super awesome is scheduled against it. I've seen Rebel Without a Cause in the theater before. I used to find Julie Harris' character kind of annoying in East of Eden, but on my last viewing, she kind of grew on me. I now find Aron super annoying because it's obvious that the actor's acting talent is just not up there with Dean and Harris.
Yes, my favorite James Dean movie is REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, but my favorite James Dean performance is the one in EAST OF EDEN.
I was bummed when I found out I'd missed seeing REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE in the theater.

One thing that annoys me in EAST OF EDEN is the way that Raymond Massey sometimes pronounces Aron as "Ay-ron."
Jo Van Fleet is fantastic in her role as James Dean's mother.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

The Exorcist, Enter the Dragon, Footlight Parade, Clash of the Wolves, House of Wax 3D, and The Wild One have since been announced.

I couldn't care less about The Exorcist, so that isn't at the top of my list. I am here for Footlight Parade and House of Wax in 3D. I would go see The Wild One if there isn't a better option. I'm curious about Enter the Dragon, I've never seen a Bruce Lee movie. I have never heard of Clash of Wolves, but see that it's a silent Rin Tin Tin film. I'll probably go see one of the other options.

I'm hoping that they'll feature Safety Last for its 100th birthday at the festival. That's the silent feature that I'd want to attend.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

speedracer5 wrote: December 17th, 2022, 1:00 pm The Exorcist, Enter the Dragon, Footlight Parade, Clash of the Wolves, House of Wax 3D, and The Wild One have since been announced.

I couldn't care less about The Exorcist, so that isn't at the top of my list. I am here for Footlight Parade and House of Wax in 3D. I would go see The Wild One if there isn't a better option. I'm curious about Enter the Dragon, I've never seen a Bruce Lee movie. I have never heard of Clash of Wolves, but see that it's a silent Rin Tin Tin film. I'll probably go see one of the other options.

I'm hoping that they'll feature Safety Last for its 100th birthday at the festival. That's the silent feature that I'd want to attend.
Oh, man! Now they've added more movies that I'd love to see in a theater. I really like THE EXORCIST and I love ENTER THE DRAGON. I re-watched it recently in honor of Bruce Lee's birthday.
As I've said before, I would love to see James Dean on the "big screen," and his performance in EAST OF EDEN is my favorite of his. (I think James Dean may be the only actor whose entire filmography --- 3 movies! --- that I've seen.)
A SHADOW OF DOUBT is one of my favorite Alfred Hitchcock movies.

Argh!
The festival passes are more expensive than I thought they'd be, and I already have another pricey vacation planned for later in the year.
But, yeah, the more I hear the more I want to go this year's festival! I've never been to southern California.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

The tickets are pricey. I’ve never been to the festival, but have always wanted to go. I decided that this year I’m doing it.

Southern California is awesome. We actually were just down there last year for our anniversary trip. It’s exciting we get to go again. There’s so much to do.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Assuming that the passholders and ticket buyers (you can buy individual screening tickets, if space is available after passholders are seated) foot the bill for a good portion of the event, then that would be a reason for the expense. TCM has to pay for the hosts & celebrities/guests, their lodging, transportation, (and maybe even meals?), space rental, film rentals, the organization that runs the festival (TCM hires an outside events company that actually takes cares of the logistics), etc. from the ticket proceeds. I doubt they'd run it at a loss.

They do have sponsors that cover part of the bill. It would be interesting to know what the split is between sponsorship coverage and passholder coverage. When you go to the festival, you will be able to recite all the sponsors by the end of the weekend, as they are thanked at each and every film introduction.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

txfilmfan wrote: December 20th, 2022, 1:05 am Assuming that the passholders and ticket buyers (you can buy individual screening tickets, if space is available after passholders are seated) foot the bill for a good portion of the event, then that would be a reason for the expense. TCM has to pay for the hosts & celebrities/guests, their lodging, transportation, (and maybe even meals?), space rental, film rentals, the organization that runs the festival (TCM hires an outside events company that actually takes cares of the logistics), etc. from the ticket proceeds. I doubt they'd run it at a loss.

They do have sponsors that cover part of the bill. It would be interesting to know what the split is between sponsorship coverage and passholder coverage. When you go to the festival, you will be able to recite all the sponsors by the end of the weekend, as they are thanked at each and every film introduction.
Don't get me wrong, I understand why the tickets are pricey. I imagine that there is a lot of expense involved and I definitely agree that they wouldn't operate at a loss. When I travel, I first and foremost want the experience, and I understand that sometimes you have to pay the premium for that. There are some experiences that I don't think are worth the money, e.g. spending $1000+/night to spend ONE night at the Chateau Marmont, vs. something that is expensive, but attainable with planning, e.g. obtaining a room at the Roosevelt Hotel using the TCM block rate. Staying at the Roosevelt has always been on my bucket list and the TCM rate looks like a way to do it. Last year, when my husband and I went to Southern California for our 10th anniversary trip, we stayed 4 days/3 nights at The Hotel del Coronado which was another bucket list hotel. It was expensive, but completely worth it because it was awesome. When I plan my vacations, I do diligent research and planning so that I can not only get the best deals, but also put together the best trip possible for my husband and I. While it is a lot of work, my efforts usually pay off. I'm hoping my efforts to plan our 9-day trip to LA in April will pay off. I've got almost all my reservations, save for plane tickets, because I'm waiting for Alaska to drop my bonus miles and companion fare into my account.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

txfilmfan wrote: December 10th, 2022, 1:17 am
speedracer5 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 9:27 pm Yes. We decided to go all out. We wanted to get the full experience. I will also admit that the priority seating was a big incentive too. LOL. I can't wait to find out what other films will be there aside from the announced ones, and who the special guests will be.
I've never not been able to get into a screening I wanted, but I know others have. When they have screenings that are so popular that there are a large number of people that can't get in, they will typically schedule a second showing late Sunday afternoon and evening. These will be listed as TBD/TBA on the schedule, and they will decide those over the weekend.

The theaters in the TCL Multiplex are smaller - the house TCM uses upstairs in the multilplex seats just over 100 or so - maybe 150. It's usually not a problem to get a seat with the other passes, but you do have to queue longer. For the smaller theaters, I usually try to get there an hour ahead. Once you get a queue card you can leave the queue and return just before they start seating. The queue card has a number on it that gives your position in the queue, and they admit you in that order. With your pass, you can skip all that, but you still queue (in a separate line, with the VIPs). It's just that your queue will be much, much shorter, and you'll be let in ahead of the rest of the crowd, and you don't have to queue so far in advance as with the regular queue. If you show up after they've started seating, you get to go in anytime to find a seat.

They'll continue to announce films and guests as time marches on. The final schedule usually isn't published until about two weeks ahead. They typically provide a grid schedule with all the venues, events and films at around that time. You'll also get into the opening night party that will allow you to hobnob with the TCM folks and invited guests that go to the opening night film & party.
txfilmfan, from your past experience with the festival is the movie screened at the Opening Night Red Carpet screening shown again at the festival in another screening?
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

I do hope Clash of the Wolves will turn up on TCM sooner or later. (Rin Tin Tin and Charles Farrell in the same film--can one screen contain that much cute?)
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 21st, 2022, 2:12 pm
txfilmfan wrote: December 10th, 2022, 1:17 am
speedracer5 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 9:27 pm Yes. We decided to go all out. We wanted to get the full experience. I will also admit that the priority seating was a big incentive too. LOL. I can't wait to find out what other films will be there aside from the announced ones, and who the special guests will be.
I've never not been able to get into a screening I wanted, but I know others have. When they have screenings that are so popular that there are a large number of people that can't get in, they will typically schedule a second showing late Sunday afternoon and evening. These will be listed as TBD/TBA on the schedule, and they will decide those over the weekend.

The theaters in the TCL Multiplex are smaller - the house TCM uses upstairs in the multilplex seats just over 100 or so - maybe 150. It's usually not a problem to get a seat with the other passes, but you do have to queue longer. For the smaller theaters, I usually try to get there an hour ahead. Once you get a queue card you can leave the queue and return just before they start seating. The queue card has a number on it that gives your position in the queue, and they admit you in that order. With your pass, you can skip all that, but you still queue (in a separate line, with the VIPs). It's just that your queue will be much, much shorter, and you'll be let in ahead of the rest of the crowd, and you don't have to queue so far in advance as with the regular queue. If you show up after they've started seating, you get to go in anytime to find a seat.

They'll continue to announce films and guests as time marches on. The final schedule usually isn't published until about two weeks ahead. They typically provide a grid schedule with all the venues, events and films at around that time. You'll also get into the opening night party that will allow you to hobnob with the TCM folks and invited guests that go to the opening night film & party.
txfilmfan, from your past experience with the festival is the movie screened at the Opening Night Red Carpet screening shown again at the festival in another screening?
I don't recall them ever doing that. Typically the only ones that are screened multiple times are the films they schedule in the smaller venues at the multiplex. If demand exceeds capacity, those will be candidates for the TBA slots on Sunday afternoon and evening.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Additional movies screening at the 2023 festival have been announced including:
SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS
PEYTON PLACE

Russ Tamblyn is scheduled to attend the screening of both movies.

speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I'm definitely going to try to get into the Seven Brides for Seven Brothers screening. That'd be a great movie to see in the theater, plus it takes place in Oregon. I like Peyton Place too, just for the drama. It'll be cool to see Russ Tamblyn in person.

Amadeus and Six Degrees of Separation were also announced for the festival. I might see Amadeus, because it's a lot of fun. I've never seen 'Six Degrees.' It's probably safe to say that Will Smith will probably not be invited to discuss the film. LOL.