WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
MikeBSG

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I just watched "The Steet With No Name" (1948) a terrific gangster-noir film directed by William Keighly. Apart from the (often-copied) semi-documentary opening, the film gripped me all the way through. Terrific, sleazy noir style throughout, and Widmark is superb as the gang leader. Parts of this film made me think of "Goodfellas" and Tim Burton's "Batman." (Now that's a double bill!)

Why is this film so little known? Is it because it is mostly a gangster film in plot and not particularly noir (apart from the style)? Whatever, it is a terrific film.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

JackFavell wrote:You will never believe it, knitty.

I found this Cecil Beaton photo of the then Princess Elizabeth and I'm completely obsessed with it. He captured something in her that just radiates! I love it so much I wanted everyone to see it. This is the Queen's Diamond Jubilee year, but I couldn't wait till June to post it. She's so lovely.
I looked once and thought that's the Princess Elizabeth, then I thought, don't be silly this is a film forum, so I looked again and thought Marion Davies? Then decided, no it's definetly Queen Elizabeth. I'm looking forward to her Jubilee.

I enjoyed the conversation about Gaslight, it's one of Boyer's best screen moments, he's very rarely bad but when he is here, he's sooo bad deep down to the core and so believable.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I saw "Master of Ballantrae" for the first time a couple of years ago and was delighted with it. I really liked Roger Livesey as Errol's sidekick. It's nice to see him in something other than a Powell-Pressburger film.
charliechaplinfan

I'll look out for it there Kingrat :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I fell asleep on the couch last night, and woke up at 12 just in time for The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. I made the mistake of flipping the channels for a while to see what else was on, but eventually ended up back on TCM, and I'm so glad I did! The Taking of Pelham One Two Three is a great movie, very similar in style to Dog Day Afternoon, which is one of my favorite movies ever. It has a gritty New York style humor mixed in with a serious story, and it was just wonderful.

It's all about the cast in this film, which takes place in 1970's New York, when "Mr. Blue" (Robert Shaw, whois as always outstanding) plots a scam to get one million dollars by hijacking a subway car, holding everyone on board captive. Mr. Blue seems to hold all the cards, he has everything planned down to the last detail, or so he thinks. Walter Mathau, though, as the dispatcher, knows his subway like the back of his hand, and gives Blue a run for his money, literally. Every character has a distinct character and job to do. I can't get over how low key this film is, it makes me wonder whatever happened to good writing in the movies.

Standout performances include Martin Balsam as Mr. Green - I actually wanted him to get away, he has such a great natural presence and likability, even though he's one of the bad guys. Walter Mathau is his usual irascible self, I love it when he does dramatic roles. Jerry Stiller is awesome as Mathau's right hand man. Their banter makes the film worth watching, as they try to pinpoint Mr. Blue's steps while communicating over a microphone system. There is a woman who looks a lot like Louise Lasser who is hilarious, I'm sorry I don't know who she is or more about her character, but I missed that part of the movie. Hector Elizondo and James Broderick (looking very young) also star, plus a cast of thick skinned New York passengers, all of whom get a moment to shine.

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three should be necessary watching for anyone who loves heist films. It is a bit violent, but well worth watching. It's available for streaming on Netflix right now, and I am defintely going back to watch the part I missed. :D
charliechaplinfan

I'm going to watch out for this one, it sounds fun, I like a good heist movie.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote: The Taking of Pelham One Two Three should be necessary watching for anyone who loves heist films. It is a bit violent, but well worth watching. It's available for streaming on Netflix right now, and I am defintely going back to watch the part I missed. :D
I just love this film ... your write up is excellent JF!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like the heist genre too, and this is a fine one. As you say, the cast is flawless. The writing is precise and efficient. I might even watch the remake someday. It would be hard to mess this story up.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's a bit scary. The music helps set the suspenseful, frightening tone, and there is something extremely cold & menacing about Robert Shaw, but I liked it anyway, especially leavened by the humor. Maybe it affected me more because it was on so late at night.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched "Mogambo," (1953) directed by John Ford. (I read in McBride's biography of Ford that this is actually the most profitable film that Ford ever made.)

I had never seen this film before, and I have to say I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. (I have seen "Red Dust" and wasn't too taken with it, but then I've never been a Jean Harlow fan.) I thought this one was a nice mix of romance and adventure. Gable was in top form, and I really liked Ava Gardner, particularly in the scene in which she let the baby elephant knock her around. Grace Kelly surprised me here. She seemed far more relaxed and genuine here than in other films I've seen her in.

Have to admit though, that at times I wondered if I were watching a Howard Hawks film or a John Huston film.
charliechaplinfan

I haven't watched Mogambo purely because I love Red Dust but I guess I need to give it a go, you've sold it to me completely.

I watched Once Upon A Time yesterday, I don't know if anyone else knows it but I started it's own thread here

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... 093#p98093

I was so enchanted by it and it has to be another of my favourite Cary Grant roles so far.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You know, I did the same thing with Mogambo, but it turns out to be a really good movie! The footage of Africa is great, and you're right about the scene with the baby elephant, it's nice to see a big star who has such rapport with animals. Gable as always is perfect.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

REMAKES.

I like "RED DUST." I like "MOGAMBO." It's always tricky and unavoidable to compare re-makes. Each film should stand on their own and be judged on their own. The reason I find these two films fascinating is b'cuz they both star GABLE. (Who me...gonna complain about more Gable??? Ha! Not me. More, more more). That's pretty rare in films, right? To have the same actor play the same role almost twenty-years apart. That is fascinating to me. And one actor, in this case GABLE...in one life time gets Harlow AND Ava?? (And Marilyn for that matter).

Whew!

"Red Dust" and "Mogambo"...they both merit a film buff's attention.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

I don't know whether that is an original where a remake is concerned that they both have the same male costar but as it's Gable who is going to complain, even if he is twenty years older, he's still got it. I can see the parellels between the women Ava/Jean and Grace/Mary. I will be watching shortly.