WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by moira finnie »

I don't think that Destination Tokyo would be as powerful without Grant. Operation Petticoat is almost bearable when Cary is on the screen, though I feel uncomfortable for the actor, who is better than the material (but not for the first time). Otherwise, it's not for me, but what do I know? If Tony Curtis is to be believed, it made more money than any other Grant film, so lots of people liked it, I guess.

My recently viewed faves for Grant: In Name Only, Indiscreet and Room For One More, none of them military-minded.

I like the range you chose for Cary Grant's prime, Alison, though he never looked bad to me--though I didn't like all the goose-grease that they put in his hair in the early '30s.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I think the early thirties wasn't his best period, he perhaps had the best head of hair in the movies too, too nice to be covered in grease.

What I know of Operation Petticoat I know from a Tony Curtis interview, Tony it seemed worshipped Cary and he was the driving force behind it. I'd heard it was Grant's biggest moneymaker too, Curtis wasn't known for his modesty. I'll schedule it soon although so impressed was I with Destination Tokyo I'm not expecting it to be better.

Sometimes I think it's easy to take the more prominent stars for granted (excuse the pun) only to revisit them and be knocked off our feet again. It happens time and again to me.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It may not be better but it is just different. "Operation Petticoat" is a comedy. They do get to fire a torpedo but there is little else to compare.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I have

(A) Lost my mind
(B) Misplaced a thoughtful comment intended for this thread
(C) Begun to have the flashbacks they warned me about in the 70's

Should you see a post about wartime propaganda...
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

MikeBSG,

I like the Busby Berekely extravaganzas, though a few days after watching, it's hard to tell them apart. One of them has the inventive "Lullaby On Broadway" number. That's really impressive. Another has the thought provoking tribute to the "Forgotten Man." But FOOTLIGHT PARADE has it all! The visuals, the music, the cast and the story. OK, the story won't exactly keep you awake! But the numbers just might. My favorite film musical!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:I have

(A) Lost my mind
(B) Misplaced a thoughtful comment intended for this thread
(C) Begun to have the flashbacks they warned me about in the 70's

Should you see a post about wartime propaganda...
Did you save your post, Red? Sometimes I'll hit "save" (down at the bottom of a post screen) between Load and Preview) and then retrieve it later by clicking on my User Control Panel (at the top left of the page on the SSO) and choosing Manage Drafts there. I hate losing stuff, too. Besides, I'd really like to know what you had to say about propaganda movies.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

There was talk about the great Raoul Walsh a few pages back, so.......

[youtube][/youtube]
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

I'll put my twopennyworth in for Footlight Parade, for me it's the combination of Jimmy Cagney and the wonderful set pieces at the end that make it spectacular. The first time I watched it I was completely ignorant to the fact that Cagney would be in the last set piece, I was literally cheering when I realised. I'm a fan of the Berkeley musicals, this one clinches the title of top for me.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

FOOTLIGHT PARADE is one of my really odd choices for favorite movies. INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, THEM! CAPE FEAR? Not your typical top ten list!

Moira,

I think my post on propaganda was blocked. Probably by the library computer system. I paraphrased Henry Hull's anti-Japanese rant from OBJECTIVE, BURMA. The system may have picked up on the language. My point was, not only is the scene racist and hate inciting. It serves no literary purpose. It's inserted from out of nowhere and disturbs the continuity of the movie.

Sherlock Holmes quotes Shakespeare to stirring music as British bombers pass overhead. That's a little more palatable. The material is less serious to begin with, and the plot does have something to do with the war. Still, the scene is clearly tagged on to inspire flag waving and fireworks. Rathbone may as well have said, "Buy bonds, my dear Watson!"

There are other examples, but my memory is hazy. Isn't there a rousing speech in SABOTEUR? "We're gonna lick those bad guys because WE'RE THE GOOD GUYS!" Something like that. Great movie. One of my favorite Hitchcock films. But made at a time when emotions were high.

Allright. Let's see if I can slip this by the censors!
charliechaplinfan

I do agree with you about Cary Grant's speech, I was squirming a bit, especially after reading that these films were popular in Japan after the war, one wonders if that bit was censored for them or twisted so it wasn't so offensive. I wonder if anyone was squirming in 1943?
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I watched "Babes in Arms" (1939) today. It was the first time I'd seen it.

This one really didn't work for me. I think I liked the scene in which Mickey Rooney spoofed Gable and Lionel Barrymore, but that was about it. Most definitely not my cup of tea.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday, my wife and I went to see "The Descendants," the new film directed by Alexander Payne and starring George Clooney.

We both thought it was mediocre. To me, the plot seemed too slow to get started and the film never decided if it were about the settling of the family inheritance or about dealing with the death of the protagonist's wife. (Also, I thought there was way too much voice over narration at the start of the film to clue us in as to what was happening.)

Clooney gave a good performance, but I found my attention drifting to his older daughter and her boyfriend, who came across as more vibrant screen presences than Clooney. Robert Forster burned with intensity in his few appearances as Clooney's father-in-law.

Oddly enough, I found myself thinking about Malick's "The Tree of Life" when "The Descendants" ended. Both films try to be serious (ie. non-fantasy non-superhero) American films dealing with issues we find in our lives. "The Descendants" tries to be realistic. "Tree of Life" tries to be poetic and stream of consciousness. I found "Tree of Life" far more interesting. It stayed with me for weeks after I had seen it. "The Descendants' is far less powerful.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I liked Clooney's political film, THE IDES OF MARCH. I'm a little surprised this is the one getting the attention.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I watched two Joan Crawford vehicles last night. The surprisingly good SADIE MCKEE, and the annoyingly stupid TORCH SONG. "Sadie" is a Clarence Brown film; well written and unpredictale. A movie that could care less about categorization, it even takes a step toward musical. Not formally, but there are several numbers. The story offers a few shocks to the moral standards of the time. Our friend Joan endures the attentions of three suitors, liking and scorning certain things about each.

I don't care for the choice she makes. That means I don't like the end of the movie. But mostly, it's a mature and challenging "survival in the city" story, well presented by the talented Mr. Brown.

The other Joan-a-drama was not for me. I gather TORCH SONG is a bit of a cult classic. Count me out of that particular club! A silly story that makes no sense. A lacklustre beginning that becomes progressively less credible. Some good actors wasted. Even Michael Wilding, who I've seen so little of, is good. He should have signed on with whatever project his wife was in! This one, also, has some musical numbers. But unlike the earlier film, these songs are BAD. Really BAD!

It's painfully obvious that Joan's singing is dubbed. Possibly by Walter Brennan. I'm not sure. But the story is ABOUT a singer. MY FAIR LADY, WEST SIDE STORY. Those are dubbed too. But a film about singing? Could they not cast a singer?

This mistake not withstanding, Joan was such an interesting star. It's not that she's my favorite actress. She wasn't even all that sexy. But she played such complex and fascinating characters. I like her more and more all the time!
feaito

Post by feaito »

I agree with you RedRiver.