This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Mr. Arkadin

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

moirafinnie wrote:9/28
The Leech Woman (1960-Edward Dein)
"An endocrinologist in a dysfunctional marriage with an aging, alcoholic wife journeys to Africa seeking a drug that will restore youth."
Cast: Coleen Gray, Grant Williams, John Van Dreelen, and one of the '50s more waspish (and ubiquitous) actresses, Gloria Talbott.
I find it hard to picture Coleen Gray as a femme fatale, much less a femme leech, but maybe this is worth seeing?

Seen it. It's much better with the MST3K guys:

[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Ha! I watched it yesterday. The MST3K are the best additions to the story. I still don't believe Coleen Gray as a lustful lush, but it was fun.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

*BUMP*

Tomorrow night's movie on Me-TV, the über-craptastic The Leech Woman is not to be missed if you like interesting schlock that also casts a light on way more "isms" than you could shake a stick at: sexism, ageism and that old standby, racism. Coleen Gray stars as a withered tosspot guzzling down everything, including a youth serum, the ex-Mr. Joan Crawford Philip Terry appears as her weaselly scientist-hubby, and Grant Williams comes hither as a young man with an itch that must be scratched. Oh, yeah, and the snippy Gloria Talbott is along doing her usual shtick, looking down on the old and wrinkled from her lofty perch as the scientist's receptionist with a jealous streak.

Arkadin is right--watch the Svengoolie version but don't miss the great MST3K video here either.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

You could do a lot worse than this B feature. It's not one of my favorites, but it's interesting; somewhat creepy. Changing the subject, my far too intellectual brother was just railing against Roger Corman's shlockers. At least, they're bad with a wink of the eye. A lot of mainstream movies are worse, and they're expected to be taken seriously. I'll take camp any day!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I guess Corman's movies are okay fun, but except for a few, they don't have the wit or sense of wonder that more straight horror movies convey. I guess if I had to choose between Corman and the other English language purveyors of horror on a budget in that period, I'd have to go for the Hammer films. That may just be me, however.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I'm with you, Moira, but maybe it's because as a young'un growing up in the 60s we had a downtown theater that on Saturdays offered a Hammer Films matinee, and on my 50-cent weekly allowance (providing I did my chores and maintained good school grades -- can you believe it, youth of today!) I could sit through a double feature of British horror. To this day I have great memories of that time so Hammer has always had the edge on Corman pics. By the same token, each Saturday night offered our weekly Chiller movie, and these were generally from the AIP library but to me there was no comparing a gem like I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF with a dud like BEAST WITH A MILLION EYES (where the heck was the monster, for cryin' out loud?)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The funny thing, Stone, is that I don't remember seeing too many Hammer films until I was an adult (movie-going was pretty strict in the Finnie household for young'uns) except for that one with Oliver Reed as a misunderstood werewolf. When I finally saw enough of them to have an opinion, I was quite won over by Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee's bemused skullduggery, the exceptionally high level of production values, and the range of great and not so great actors who bring the often predictable but classically rooted stories to life. Then, of course, it helps to be a total anglophile, huh?

I'm still trying to catch up with all the films from that period. Are there any Hammers that you and others would recommend?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Moira, I've purchased most of the Hammers currently available on video and have found that the entertainment value I enjoyed as a lad has not much diminished today. Some of my suggestions (and they are personal preferences) would be:

The Peter Cushing "Frankenstein" series (with the possible exceptions of "Evil of Frankenstein" and "Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell").

Ditto: Chris Lee Draculas, except for the weird and sadistic "Scars of Dracula" and the two modern day versions.

"The Man Who Could Cheat Death"
"Brides of Dracula"
"Night Creatures"
"Curse of the Werewolf" (LOVE this one!)
"The Gorgon"
"The Reptile"
"Plague of the Zombies"
"Rasputin, the Mad Monk"

At a certain point the Hammer films began to lose their allure. Suddenly, they became R-rated and it bugged me because I could no longer enjoy the Saturday matinees since I had not yet reached 18. But when I did eventually see these pictures I realized that for the most part I really had not missed that much. The sex and violence became more explicit (though certainly tame by today's standards) and the whole Hammer magic seemed to have dissipated. I did like "Twins of Evil", though. But that truly was the latter-day exception.

BTW: Am a huge admirer of the much underrated Michael Ripper.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

BTW Moira: My list is focused solely on the Hammer horrors. The studio also produced some pretty damn good, hard-hitting war dramas and effective suspensers.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, wow, you liked two of my faves. The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959) was so fascinating and Anton Diffring, an actor who usually is stuck playing Nazis, was most interesting as the lonely sculptor-scientist. Christopher Lee was able to be both icy and dashing as his nemesis. (Have you ever seen the Nils Asther version called The Man in Half Moon Street (1945) made at Paramount? It is very good and even has Helen Walker in it too). I loved The Gorgon (1964) in particular with the Greek myth angle and the real eerieness of certain scenes and effects. I also liked the '65 version of She with Ursula Andress as the eternally beautiful and regal woman-goddess so evocative of the H. Rider Haggard novel. Peter Cushing was very droll as the stuffy, blase British professor in that one--though Bernard Cribbens almost stole the movie with his earthiness, comments and expressiveness. I also have a soft spot for the Brit noir dramas such as the outstanding Hell Is a City (1960) and the "Diana Dors meets George Brent" movie Man Bait (1952). Adaptations of classics that Hammer did were often quite good, including a very good version of The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959).

I thought that the best director and writer team that Hammer films ever had was Terence Fisher and Jimmy Sangster, who did such a great job blending horror, character, humor, and the occasional misunderstood loner in some strange Victorian world on film.

Looking over the list of films cranked out by this little studio found here, I realize I have an awful lot of their movies to check out someday!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I also forgot to include 1959s "The Mummy" which features one of the most horrific, claustrophobic death scenes in films. But, yes, "The Man Who Could Cheat Death" (though some have accused it as being dull and overly talky) is, to me, a fascinating film. And it is always refreshing to see Chris Lee (a great gent with whom I spent an enjoyable couple of hours one afternoon when he was in Winnipeg many years ago promoting the not-so-enjoyable "Bear Island") in a heroic role. No, Moira, have yet to see "The Man in Half Moon Street" with Nils Asther, though I'm waiting for a TCM playdate. Just recently, finally, saw "She". Thought it might not be to my liking but ended up thoroughly entertained -- when has the wonderful Peter Cushing not failed to entertain?

Yes, and you mention the Hammer "crime" dramas which are equally effective. Stanley Baker and Donald Pleasance (and when was he never not great!) in "Hell is a City". Could not agree with you more about the creative team of Terence Fisher and Jimmy Sangster. Would that we had such talent working in today's movie industry.

I'm just incredibly grateful that my early "genre" movie experiences were influenced by Hammer. Sad to think what today's kid audiences are exposed to.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

(providing I did my chores and maintained good school grades -- can you believe it, youth of today!)

So, you were an abused child? I don't disagree that most decent horror is superior to deliberately bad camp. I just feel something by Corman, Edward G. Wood, or certainly William Castle can be fun to laugh at. My argumentative brother affords them no credit at all.

I watched two thirds of LEECH WOMAN, then fell asleep. I had seen it before. Not bad. Not remarkable. Again, good for a cheap thrill or two. Don't tell my brother!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Next week: Back to Drac! DRACULA again, followed the next week by CULT OF THE COBRA. Again! I'm not complaining. I won't be forced to watch.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

So, you were an abused child?

Shudder --- I suppose by today's standards, R.R. -- yes.

You're right so far as your comments regarding Wood and Castle, certainly. What I remember being frightened of as a young'un today brings more of a chuckle -- 'ceptin' that sudden appearance of the "witch" in HOUSE ON HAUINTED HILL. Darn, still find myself bracin' for that moment each time I watch the movie.

Sadly, my most memorable childhood fright film (the memory of which I carried through many years) was THE SCREAMING SKULL. Wish I'd never revisited that one. What a boring disappointment that turned out to be. Shoulda kept the kid memory alive.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Guys, you're bringing back memories... :D :D

moira, I haven't seen THE MAD GHOUL in, er, centuries. Lurv your review! I remember (this was years ago) a friend telling me he thought the relationship between David Bruce and Evelyn Ankers was supposed to be a metaphor for the impossiblity of love, lol. (also, Ankers was no English Rose in THE WOLF MAN either. She "steps out" with Larry Talbot even though apparently engaged to Ralph Bellamy) This same friend also opined that Bela as manipulative Ygor in THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN was really supposed to represent Adolf Hitler (with the Monster the German people), then reminded me there was even a gas chamber of sorts in the film. I wouldn't even think to respond: "Food for thought!" but instead just enjoy Lugosi rasping, "His mother is the lightning!"

WORLD WITHOUT END, heaven help us. I was confused because the husband who left his family to go schlepping into outer space was described as some sort of genius physicist, but immediately upon arriving in post-apocalyptic Earth acted like Dane Clark as a leather-jacketed stereotypical New Yawk borough (usually Brooklyn) bomber crew member in a WWII movie. The actor even resembled Dane.

Is Diana Dors-meets-George Brent more interesting than Diana Dors-meets-Victor Mature? (in THE LONG HAUL)