World War Two, those that served and those that didn't

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Ollie

Re: World War Two, those that served and those that didn't

Post by Ollie »

I grew up on tales of too-young boys sneaking off to join, almost always in some horrible notion of warrior-hero worship. I've wondered how much of it was based on a teenaged boy's fantasy of impressing girls ("I love a man in uniform!" and when boys weren't loved, that seemed like a natural cliché to use).

Then there were just as many tales of civilian workers who lived very angry years, full explaining they were doing war-industry work, needing to constantly assert their patriotism. A real double-edged sword - boast and brag about your war-work, and those could target you for all kinds of bad things.

But what about the French? "Cowards" and "Quitters" may have been the nicest comments an able-bodied Frenchman might receive if he was still in the Continent. And in the American Press, if there was ever any love for the French in the 1920s and '30s, it was certainly tested. It must have been tough - if a Frenchman surrendered and tolerated the Germans, he might be called collaborationist. And if he was part of the Resistance, there were risks on that side, too. But German retributions targets masses. It must have been an incredible time to live in Europe during those years - decades.

Also... look at how Col. Tibbett's crew - his entire flight wing, flight crews, etc - were treated for their many months of A-Bomb Training. They were constantly being derided by other flying groups.

I can just imagine the pressures that a John Wayne faced and, for whatever correct reasons were used to avoid military service, I'm sure it ate at him. I've often thought his post-WWII gung-ho films, and even his political right-wingness, must have been forged in heat he received by not joining up.