WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by CineMaven »

Glad you watched Feaito. That movie is still milling around in my mind. We got a tiny glimpse of what Young's life might've been like with Jane Greer had Young's character had courage. Do you think justice was served at the end of the film?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
feaito

Post by feaito »

Poetic Justice you mean Theresa? Mmmm...a real chain of unlucky events. Young wanted to kill his wife but she had already made his job herself! Would he been capable of pulling the trigger? One thing startled me; he never seemed to be affected by the loss of any of the 3 women in his life; he seemed to go from one relationship to another unscathed. And they all rooted for him (sadomasochistic ladies?...women love mean men best? Treat me badly?)The guy was selfish; he was true to no one, he couldn't have cared less...him first, second and third...Perhaps real justice was served...I feel it would have been better served if he had been convicted for life.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Charming rogue. And very very selfish. "Sadomasachistic ladies?" I don't quite think so b'cuz he presented himself well to them. The worm turned for me when Young picked up Rita Johnson's body and dumped it in the river. YIKES!! (And I thought he should pay for what happened to the palomino, too). Do you think his wife was a clinging nagging selfish wife to buy him, hold him against his wanting to BE there? Was she masochistic...or just a woman in love?

feaito

Post by feaito »

Theresa, sorry I meant masochistic ladies...sadomasochitic was the relationship between Rita & Bob....Yes he presented well to them, but he was an interested cad Re. Rita; a selfish coward Re. Jane (when he left her with no word...); and another coward when she wento the Ranch and left Hayward...Rita was definitely a woman in love with no self respect. Now, what in the world made the man so likable and irresistible to them? Such a gift to the ladies...Wonder
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ooh, I'm so glad you saw and liked They Won't Believe Me, Ferchu. It's really such a diamond in the rough. I never would have known about it if it hadn't been for MissG. Now it's a great favorite. You are right, I think Robert Young may have given one of his best performances here.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#4000BF][b]FEAITO[/b][/color][/u] wrote:...Now, what in the world made the man so likable and irresistible to them? Such a gift to the ladies...Wonder
What did they say in "THE WOMEN"??? And I paraphrase..."Whoever figures that out, is going to win that prize they're always givin' out in Sweden." :)

feaito

Post by feaito »

CineMaven wrote:
[u][color=#4000BF][b]FEAITO[/b][/color][/u] wrote:...Now, what in the world made the man so likable and irresistible to them? Such a gift to the ladies...Wonder
What did they say in "THE WOMEN"??? And I paraphrase..."Whoever figures that out, is going to win that prize they're always givin' out in Sweden." :)
LOL!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]JACK FAVELL[/u] wrote:...I think Robert Young may have given one of his best performances here.
I agree with you JackaaaAaay. He's starting to intrigue me a little. He was pitch perfect in "...Believe Me." I think Victor Mature might've been too heavy...but more understandable to my hormones.

feaito

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:Ooh, I'm so glad you saw and liked They Won't Believe Me, Ferchu. It's really such a diamond in the rough. I never would have known about it if it hadn't been for MissG. Now it's a great favorite. You are right, I think Robert Young may have given one of his best performances here.
Yes indeed Wendy...Have you seen "H.M. Pulham Esq." ?
feaito

Post by feaito »

CineMaven wrote:
[u]JACK FAVELL[/u] wrote:...I think Robert Young may have given one of his best performances here.
I agree with you JackaaaAaay. He's starting to intrigue me a little. He was pitch perfect in "...Believe Me." I think Victor Mature might've been too heavy...but more understandable to my hormones.
Sterling Hayden's tough guy type is another actor who could have been right for this role..or Burt Lancaster? What about your hormones there Theresa?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:) Hunkalicious indeed, ha! I do like the ones whose looks hit me between the eyes. But funny, in this case, in the case of "They Won't Believe Me" there was a subtlety and slight boredom and light touch that I'm not sure the other boys could pull off. His appeal wasn't as "obvious" as testosterone-laded Mature & Hayden. Sometimes casting agents know what they're doing.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've never seen H. M. Pulham, Esq. before.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw "Pulham" years ago. Hedy Lamarr. I remember I liked it. Young and Lamarr were both very good. It's worth a look as it generally gets high marks.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, Chris. I'm sure with two good reviews from you guys that I will like it!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Good discussion about two fine movies. "Pulham" is thoughtful, poetic and sophisticated. The opposite of most of what's available today. Tender, but not sad. Not really. I like that. "Believe Me" is just about as titillating a piece of pulp cinema as I've seen. Thrilling story; not gutter budget like DETOUR, but just enough production to make your eyes pop. It reminds me of the sensational novels now re-published by Hard Case Crime; forgotten, foregttable. But what a lot of fun!

Watch five minutes of this thriller, you are not going anywhere! That says a lot for the writing.